American culture: Something I find very interesting

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:28 pm

My parents just got back from the US and oh the stories they had to tell! It's amazing the culture difference.

I now see what that guy means about the welfare system in the states being much worse than here.. with all the homeless people :(
There is one homeless guy in my town (2nd largest in nz) and he is a novelty because its so unseen here..

Also the portion sizes are huge! mmm food
Apparently a guy asked my Mum in a coffee shop "Where are you from?" And she said "NZ" and about 8 people looked around at the weird accent.

Man I so want to go just to experience it...

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:38 pm

In New Zealand, there are hobbits. Right? Have you met one, lol_bopp?

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 12:24 am

The welfare system sucks here because of the inequity and conservatives don't want the government to help people because they think they must be lazy and deserve to be poor. It is a bit more complicated, but that's the basic just of it.

Oh yeah and the portion sizes... I get that. My dad traveled to Europe a lot and so he really pointed out the differences there. European portions are "just enough" and plus they don't have "buffets" like in America. I'll admit that buffet restaurants here are a bit trashy. There are nicer ones in big cities(I know a sushi buffet in DC that's pretty nice), but most elsewhere are just trash, but lots of people dine at them.
Regular restaurant portions are just too much here really. It really does encourage people to overeat and then many wonder why Americans tend to be so obese. :roll:

I'm sure it's a fascinating place for foreigners though.
America is big place though. What places in the states did you want to see?

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 12:40 am

Zara wrote:
Oh yeah and the portion sizes... I get that. My dad traveled to Europe a lot and so he really pointed out the differences there. European portions are "just enough" and plus they don't have "buffets" like in America. I'll admit that buffet restaurants here are a bit trashy. There are nicer ones in big cities(I know a sushi buffet in DC that's pretty nice), but most elsewhere are just trash, but lots of people dine at them.
Regular restaurant portions are just too much here really. It really does encourage people to overeat and then many wonder why Americans tend to be so obese. :roll:

I want to see the culture from Down south, and up north. As for buffets, you get them over here too but I don't enjoy them much. The portions here range from tiny to enough.

I'd porbably be busting at the seams from a use entree :wink:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 12:41 am

lol_bopp, are you a hobbit?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:28 am

hobbits are just on TV sorry

the weather is similar to coastal Oregon, here in the north island

I went to LA once. Word up dude!

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:29 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Zara wrote:

I want to see the culture from Down south, and up north. As for buffets, you get them over here too but I don't enjoy them much. The portions here range from tiny to enough.

Down South? You mean Dixie and Redneck country? :lol: (Well that's what down south is to me) You like sweet tea and fried chicken? You'll find plenty of that down there. Coastal places really enjoy their shrimp. I lived half my life in the south. I enjoy the food and hospitality greatly... (don't care so much for the racists there, but oh well).

Not too sure what you mean by up north. New England? Hadn't been there, so i can't really comment. The Chicago area is nice. I've been there a couple times. It can get very windy and cold there though.

Yep, spend a month in the USA and you'll leave with a bit more than what you came with. :P

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:35 am

Zara wrote:
You mean Dixie and Redneck country?

Hoorah, hoorah.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:41 am

Ferdinand wrote:
In New Zealand, there are hobbits. Right? Have you met one, lol_bopp?

Helixstein, a friend of mine on here from NZ, has confirmed the presence of Hobbits, so yes.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:42 am

I bet lol_bopp has a hobbit maid, or perhaps she rides a hobbit as quick transportation.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:49 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Zara wrote:

I'd understand why you wouldn't be interested in visiting the Midwest,
but the West Coast 8O ? Really? Nuh uh, if you come visit the states you've definitely got to come out west :thumright:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:57 am

Indiana is the most redneck state in the Midwest, I's proud to say.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:00 am

Zara wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Zara wrote:

Down South? You mean Dixie and Redneck country? :lol: (Well that's what down south is to me) You like sweet tea and fried chicken? You'll find plenty of that down there. Coastal places really enjoy their shrimp. I lived half my life in the south. I enjoy the food and hospitality greatly... (don't care so much for the racists there, but oh well).

Not too sure what you mean by up north. New England? Hadn't been there, so i can't really comment. The Chicago area is nice. I've been there a couple times. It can get very windy and cold there though.

Yep, spend a month in the USA and you'll leave with a bit more than what you came with. :P

I live down south and rednecks are everywhere. It's terrible. I remember I saw a burning cross once(Ku Klux Klan capital of Florida), or rather the remains of one in nearby Lake City, Florida(I'm from Jacksonville). However, not all rednecks are like that. The Southern part of Florida is filled with Spanish people, which I'm more comfortable around(I'm Puerto Rican-American).

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:03 am

Ferdinand wrote:
I bet lol_bopp has a hobbit maid, or perhaps she rides a hobbit as quick transportation.

I quite like the Narnians, they live in NZ too.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:07 am

Ferdinand wrote:

No, the New Zealanders use Maori for transportation.

A Hobbit riding a Maori.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:30 am

This sounds like borderline discrimination against Maori...

Kiwis are usually awful nationalists, we often make jokes about ourselves