American culture: Something I find very interesting

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:30 am

This sounds like borderline discrimination against Maori...

Kiwis are usually awful nationalists, we often make jokes about ourselves

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 2:41 am

^^^^^ It's only a joke. I actually like Maori.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:23 am

Seanmw wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Zara wrote:
Oh yeah and the portion sizes... I get that. My dad traveled to Europe a lot and so he really pointed out the differences there. European portions are "just enough" and plus they don't have "buffets" like in America. I'll admit that buffet restaurants here are a bit trashy. There are nicer ones in big cities(I know a sushi buffet in DC that's pretty nice), but most elsewhere are just trash, but lots of people dine at them.
Regular restaurant portions are just too much here really. It really does encourage people to overeat and then many wonder why Americans tend to be so obese. :roll:

I'm sure it's a fascinating place for foreigners though.
America is big place though. What places in the states did you want to see?

I want to see the culture from Down south, and up north. As for buffets, you get them over here too but I don't enjoy them much. The portions here range from tiny to enough.

I'd porbably be busting at the seams from a use entree :wink:

I'd understand why you wouldn't be interested in visiting the Midwest,
but the West Coast 8O ? Really? Nuh uh, if you come visit the states you've definitely got to come out west :thumright:

Yeah likely I will want to visit all areas!

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:38 am

@ hale_bopp- I have lived in and traveled in many parts of the USA, but I have never traveled to any other countries to compare. I have found ignorant and bigoted people, as well as intelligent, open minded and cultured. I have seen far too much over indulgence at the expense of the environment, as well as people who try to do the right thing in that regard. Like the song says, "People are people." These days, we are all just Earthlings. Some of us are just from the wrong planet.

I see you are from New Zealand. Maybe you can tell me something. Over here I have heard eggs called "hen fruit." Am I right to assume the logical thing about kiwi fruit? :wink:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:46 pm

Rocky wrote:
I see you are from New Zealand. Maybe you can tell me something. Over here I have heard eggs called "hen fruit." Am I right to assume the logical thing about kiwi fruit? :wink:

hahah, no, kiwifruit are the berries. Its very hard to see an actual kiwi in the wild in this country, they are mostly on protected land or in their own special zoo enclosure.

They really are lovely, gentle beings though. I have a lot of empathy and rerspect for them. I've patted one a few times.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

If you go the the States, I'd reccomend traveling here twice- once in the summer and once in the winter. It's totally differant in those two seasons, especially if you haven't been able to experiance much snow.

I live in Pennsylvania, and one of the things PA is famous for is the Amish. These are folks who still drive horse-drawn buggies and live without electricity, and you'll often see them in Lancaster. They are a religious group, and live this lifestyle as part of their beliefs.

If you go to the Southern States, one of the things I had experianced when I went South is that they tend to like to fry their food. Almost everything (if I remember correctly) gets fried. I also had an opportunity to have pig brains with scrambled eggs, but I am not that adventurous. Also, watch out for the fire ants. :wink:

If you go up North, pack warm stuff if you go in winter, because it will be cold. North (like Montana) has some beautiful wild scenery, and they have wolf packs that you can hear howling at night. And if you go in winter, they tend to have 7 foot snowdrifts up there. So you might want to scout a lodge just in case. 8)

If you go MidWest, they have tornados. Lots, and lots, of tornados. 8O

Go even further West, you'll see Hollywood. 8)

And if you go reeaally up North, you'll find Alaska. It's very cold, very wild, and very beautiful. Besides Pennsylvania, it's one of my most favorite states, because it is very large, with extremely few people. If I ever move anywhere far away, I'm moving there. :D

And lastly, there is Hawaii, which is really pretty, but it's also expensive to live in. It is also somewhat volcanically active. :P

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm

I'd like to go to Burning Man, speed week at Bonneville and see some buffalo and bears.

We have so much American broadcasting on our TV channels, its like being there! Honestly.