http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYJjLtH_qo

Eyes Set to Kill - Darling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NI5UyjZabA

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 8:46 am

Grace Buford (AKA Cylindrian Rutabaga)

My favourite singer/songwriter in the whole world.

Oh, and Thom Yorke blows Adam Lambert away.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:18 am

Adam Lambert totally should have won seaosn 8 of American Idol. I was pissed when they announced Kris Allen as the winner. :evil:

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:03 am

Adam Lambert is one of the few "modern" singers (21st Century) that I actually think has a natural voice.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:24 am

Morrissey.

Consider yourself proven wrong.

(Not that Morrissey's the only one better, it just takes one example)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:32 am

The entire 'Idol' process is designed to cull out any unique, singular, powerful presence (AKA TALENT) and leave only the most bland, generic, plug-in-anywhere, faceless, sounds-exactly-like-what's-already-familiar cookie cutter non-personalities.

There will never be anything worth listening to come out of that pablum because its specifically designed to cultivate whatever mind-numbing crap is already popular with the lowest common denominator crowd - the mindless mass of consumers who buy what they're programmed to buy because they can't stomach anything that hasn't been predigested and sugarcoated for them.

Its sad that there are so many who can not only be duped into buying the same old crap in a newer shinier package, but that they gleefully, actively participate in the process of selecting this season's NEW! and IMPROVED! leftovers. Here, eat this - you'll love it! What? Why no, that's not the same old sh*t you had yesterday - see - its all wrapped up in shiny new tinfoil... :roll:

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2010, 1:24 pm

adam lambert has an amazing voice and not only that is one of the few rare people in the public eye is totally himself regardless of what others think

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:53 pm

Willard wrote:
The entire 'Idol' process is designed to cull out any unique, singular, powerful presence (AKA TALENT) and leave only the most bland, generic, plug-in-anywhere, faceless, sounds-exactly-like-what's-already-familiar cookie cutter non-personalities.

There will never be anything worth listening to come out of that pablum because its specifically designed to cultivate whatever mind-numbing crap is already popular with the lowest common denominator crowd - the mindless mass of consumers who buy what they're programmed to buy because they can't stomach anything that hasn't been predigested and sugarcoated for them.

Its sad that there are so many who can not only be duped into buying the same old crap in a newer shinier package, but that they gleefully, actively participate in the process of selecting this season's NEW! and IMPROVED! leftovers. Here, eat this - you'll love it! What? Why no, that's not the same old sh*t you had yesterday - see - its all wrapped up in shiny new tinfoil... :roll:

Willard,

I completely agree with you.

Another way of looking at the question is "What constitutes good?" Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Baby Gramps and Joanna Newsom are better singers as far as I'm concerned since they project a more interesting quality in the songs they sing than someone who has achieved some kind of "technical perfection"

There is no best anything since every person will value different things. I like a rough hewn quality so my favorite singers tend to be blues musicians. I would rather listen to Mississippi John Hurt's aging voice or Townes Van Zandt's alcohol destroyed voice. Another person may prefer a clear, clean quality to a voice. If you like the guy's singing, great. I'm sure he will appreciate your support. But is he the best singer ever? No.

LexiconDoll
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2010, 2:03 pm

jagatai wrote:
Willard wrote:

Willard,

I completely agree with you.

Another way of looking at the question is "What constitutes good?" Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Baby Gramps and Joanna Newsom are better singers as far as I'm concerned since they project a more interesting quality in the songs they sing than someone who has achieved some kind of "technical perfection"

There is no best anything since every person will value different things. I like a rough hewn quality so my favorite singers tend to be blues musicians. I would rather listen to Mississippi John Hurt's aging voice or Townes Van Zandt's alcohol destroyed voice. Another person may prefer a clear, clean quality to a voice. If you like the guy's singing, great. I'm sure he will appreciate your support. But is he the best singer ever? No.
I wasn't being literal with the ''best singer'' part :]

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2010, 3:25 pm

I think it's a really odd idea, to seek out and promote people who are good at singing other people's songs, but don't have the talent to write any music or lyrics of their own. What will be next? Will people be hailed as superb artists because they can trace and make copies of existing paintings?

I will admit, though, that I like watching such programmes at the beginning, before all the chumps and ne'er-do-wells have been sifted out. There are few things more amusing to me than watching a badly dressed, sweaty, tone-deaf man honk his way through 'I Will Always Love You':

"Annnd IIIIIIIIIIIIII-eeeeee-IIIII
will always
LOVE YOU-HOOO-HOOO-OOOO-OOOO-OA . . . "
:cheers:

It gets boring, though, once all the people who can't sing go home.

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:44 pm

YES. Thank GOD someone else here agrees with me!

Adam was rated 2nd most skilled rock vocalist of all time - and most skilled male rock vocalist of all time - by DDD Music Forums, based on many technical points. Besides that, from what I've seen of him (in interviews and at his concert in Cleveland) he's a really sweet person.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:48 pm

EmoGlambertAspie wrote:
YES. Thank GOD someone else here agrees with me!

Adam was rated 2nd most skilled rock vocalist of all time - and most skilled male rock vocalist of all time - by DDD Music Forums, based on many technical points. Besides that, from what I've seen of him (in interviews and at his concert in Cleveland) he's a really sweet person.

Anything like that is biased.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

Willard wrote:

It's beyond American Idol, but I completely agree. The music industry flat-out sucks these days.

I don't know, but if we're on the topic of singers and it's open to mentioning names, I've discovered a new singer lately, Johnny Gioeli, and I'd put him up as one of the best current-day male vocalists, and perhaps the best vocalist in current-day rock. This guy can sing.

Pardon the cheesy fantasy lyrics. xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfc29RuD10

Either way, sounds different from the norm in terms of vocalists these days. That kind of powerful voice, unfortunately, won't be popular anytime soon. (Though he's been successful with his singing with Sonic's composer Jun Senoue)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:44 am

pat2rome wrote:
Morrissey.

Consider yourself proven wrong.

YES. :cheers:

I don't personally like Adam Lambert but there isn't anything wrong with him I guess. That music video that he has playing all the time makes me feel like I'm going to have a seizure.

Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 7:59 am

LexiconDoll wrote:
Adam Lambert is the best singer, prove me wrong. Along with Eyes Set to Kill

Adam Lambert - Whattaya want from me;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYJjLtH_qo

Eyes Set to Kill - Darling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NI5UyjZabA

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F88G4itQyds[/youtube]

i'll post more upon request.

there's alot, ALOT better singers out there, you'll find that if you listen to more than media-generated garbage

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPQ2L03gTbc[/youtube]

Proven wrong. 8)