"He does not pay attention in class"
Etc, Etc, Etc

Now here is my exam grades
------------1a-1b--2
Biology:--B--A---N/A
Physics:-A--B---N/A
Chem:---A---C---N/A

Business Studies: A

ICT Functional Skills: Level 2 (The highest level, and I passed even though I started later than everyone else because my computer was having issues, and I finished before everyone else too)

So do I trust the teacher(s) or AQA/Edexcel?

EDIT: Had to add stupid lines because it doesn't like spacing.
EDIT2: Added some nice little text colouring to hide the lines, now its nice and neat

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm

Until/Unless editorial comment affects/effects actual grades, I would ignore the editorial comment. I have in the past had concerns about editorial comment added within my medical records, but nobody later on actually paid any attention to it.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:56 pm

Any teacher that tells you you're going to fail isn't doing his/her job properly. A lot of them are also very favouritist. I once had a teacher who I, by all rights, could probably sue for disability discrimination.

But obviously, the exam board are to be trusted more than said crappy teachers, and remember: Those who can do, do. Those who can't, teach.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:31 pm

It depends on who is the student and who is the teacher. Teacher's comment are based on what they thing they see and some of them can analyse their students pretty well but they have to know their student a little in order to judge them properly. Grades sometimes mean "nothing" because they can fluctuate depending on the circumstances, yet the teachers can usually see your true potential. Sometimes grades are meaningful because they never fluctuate and the teachers may either say the truth or be completely wrong. You know some teachers actually make a comment according to their feelings rather than the objective reality.

Quote:
Any teacher that tells you you're going to fail isn't doing his/her job properly. A lot of them are also very favouritist. I once had a teacher who I, by all rights, could probably sue for disability discrimination.

But obviously, the exam board are to be trusted more than said crappy teachers, and remember: Those who can do, do. Those who can't, teach.

One should avoid stating a "truth" based on their experience and feeling though I think "a lot of them" means that some do their job properly. Teachers are quite important in our cultures and teaching isn't easy, it requires some skills and knowledge, love for one's subject and for the job.
There's many bad teachers but there's also very good teachers, the educational system may be a real problem in some country which is more responsible for scholar failure than the teachers by the way.

These ones seem to base their judgements on what they see in class, some students are good at pretending to pay attention to class and receive positive comments, other are interested or bored because they are actually smart and receive negative comments. They probably just misinterpreted your attitude and capacities because of what you've showed them. If they base their judgement on some kind of discrimination, then they should be fired or learn about people because they are never going to work with perfect students.

There must be a reason, you should ask them because I don't understand why every teacher would make such comments, generally there's always one who disagree when the other don't do their job correctly. But that depend on the teachers. I remember a dyslexic boy of 14 who was in my class some years ago. He didn't do well at school, the teachers didn't know he was dyslexic, he was diagnosed later though his problem was obvious (at least to me), he had stopped doing his homework because of the rude comments of the teachers, I still don't understand how they could fail to see he wasn't just a "stupid teenager who didn't care". He succeeded in the end, not thanks to the teachers, so the results had nothing to do with what he was supposed to have but the comments were somehow understandable.

They were because of his attitude. They were not really since the teachers should have spoken with his parents or talked with him instead of humiliating him the way they did. Yet, not all teachers are like that. (In my country we seem to have this kind of teacher when we are young, then we grow up and have the best teachers we could dream of, completely stupid when you realize that a child needs to learn confidence and develop their mental skills).

But remember that objectivity is not really in the human nature. Even logical people are subjective since a single obversation can lead to two different conclusion (expect in some sciences I guess).

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 3:33 am

lostD wrote:
One should avoid stating a "truth" based on their experience and feeling though I think "a lot of them" means that some do their job properly. Teachers are quite important in our cultures and teaching isn't easy, it requires some skills and knowledge, love for one's subject and for the job.
There's many bad teachers but there's also very good teachers, the educational system may be a real problem in some country which is more responsible for scholar failure than the teachers by the way.

What I said was true. There are some good teachers, certainly. But the majority are crap. That's not just based on my own experience, I think most people - unless they went to Eton or something (and maybe even then, I dunno) - will be able to reel you a long list of bad teachers they've had.

I think the problem with a lot of teachers is that they lack the knowledge and love you talk about. I had to explain the tax system to my business teacher! Said teacher was also the head of business in the school and actually had her own company! Yet she didn't understand the tax system. She was friendly and everything, don't get me wrong, but I didn't listen to her as much after that, I can tell you.

Then there are the very common breed of teachers who seem to just hate children. These are the ones I feel like asking "why the hell did you even become a teacher?" Yet they're the majority of them. They pick favourites, they punish people for nothing, and more often than not, they don't do too well actually teaching you anything. Odds are, the only reason these people chose the job is because they like the power and the authority it gives them, and such people often abuse said power and authority, whether they're teachers or bosses or whatever.

Good teachers, though, I only really got in the last year of school. They hold class discussions, they can make even the most boring thing interesting, they keep the class's attention, and can take care of the bad kids. My old business teacher, and my last English and RE teachers were such people.

Conclusion? Good teachers exist, but they're a precious rarity, and if you've been lucky enough to have a lot of them, consider yourself very lucky.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:49 am

Teachers at my school always understated what grade everyone was likely to get, so that they would work harder. It worked, too.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 5:33 pm

Your teacher's comments might give you a good idea of how you come across to others. This is good to know for the future, when you apply for jobs, want to get promoted. Or maybe you want to get some nice grants...

You want to not only know what you are doing and beable to do it, but also be seen by others as trustworthy and hardworking. This is equally, if not more important than having the actual smarts.

Personally, I always strive first to impress my professors and teachers - if i get a good grade as well, even better.
I try my hardest and make sure that my dedication is noted. My hard work is usually is reflected in my gpa, but not always.

That said, some teachers are completely unreasonable and cannot be pleased. So don't be crushed if you can't wow some of them.
(: