Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:14 pm

OK does it annoy any of you how everybody seems to think that all girls like pink. It drive me, my aunt, and my friend nuts! Not all girls like pink. I will see lot of little girl stuff, and most of it will be PINK! Really if I had a girl someday, I don't want to dress her in all pink. Some pink is fine but come on. And what if both parents hate pink then what are you going to do? Dress her like a boy? There is something wrong when you see sports teams cloths in pink.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:22 pm

I think it is a way to tell gender in a baby to others. I can not recognize if a baby is a boy or a girl (clothed) but it becomes obvious if the baby is in blue verses pink. It is also just a safe, stereotypical color.

I wonder if girls really like the color pink so much (and if so why) or if it is just a product of society thinking they should.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:24 pm

In the middle ages, pink was reserved for boys because pink was too bright and passionate a colour for girls. But now - everything for girls.. and adult women is pink.. like pink "women's" tool sets, or computers for women, or everything else. When I was little I hated it, I'd refuse to wear or use anything pink out of principle.
Why do people need to recognise a baby's gender in the first place?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2010, 2:31 pm

My daughter hated pink, and I loved it. She suffered having to wear it until grade school, and then I had to stop buying pink stuff for her.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:47 pm

I'm also not that crazy about the colour, pink. I never understood the whole pink, for girls thing. My favourite colours were sporty colours, when I was growing up. I refused to wear pink.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2010, 2:59 pm

It particularly irks me when people think this preference for pink is a biological think instead of cultural. I've even heard an asinine theory (in an article from someone who had the guts to call themselves scientists/professional) that girls prefer pink because we are finetunes to spotting wild berries.... Obviously they didn't have any sense of history because as someone said here pink have been the boys' colour for the majority of history.

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

ha! lucky me ...

1. i have a son not a daughter ( i get to choose between blue and army green, that's at least an alternative, :wink: )

2. i grew up in the 70s with sun-yellow corduroy dungarees ( which had to be extended and patched up with yellow-white gingham, because i loved them so much and would not let them go, :lol: ).
in fact i cannot recall a single piece of childhood clothing in pink, maybe my wise mother made a conscious decision at the clothes rack on the high street to save me from being barbiefied , but i assume, pink just wasn't that en vogue 4 decades ago.

and yes it does get on my nerves to see pink spill over onto other suitable or not so suitable consumer goods, :evil:.

So i am on your side, YoshiPikachu

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 3:55 pm

I kinda like violent neon pink, but I prefer black, red or camouflage.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 4:06 pm

:D Its my favorite crayon.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2010, 5:17 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
I kinda like violent neon pink, but I prefer black, red or camouflage.

Yeah but violent noen pink is like.. ironically punk or something.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 6:17 pm

I remember not that long ago I was watching the news, and there were these lady's who were protesting pink becuase they don't like pink and don't think all girl should only where pink. it was so funny. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 6:44 pm

Pink was my favorite color and I used to get upset if I couldn't have that color. I didn't like how my best friend has pink gutters on her house and my gutters were light green.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

I didn't like pink too much when I was a kid but I like it now. Purple, turquoise and pink are my favorite colors. :)

JVDifferent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 11:47 am

I hated pink with a passion when I was younger. I still don't wear it. But then again, I barely wear anything that isn't black.

maxisunnygirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2010, 7:41 am

I do quite like pink, but my fave colour is white.

As a little girl I used to love pick iceing and pink plastic on toys, however white was always my fave colour (just like Princess Leia or I'm told anyway)

Yes you'd be right in thinking that I own a demure looking dress that feels nice and lose on my sleader figher (it took a long time to get it that way however)

I even feel as pure and inosent as a newborn baby when ever I have it on (even though it is impossible to keep clean) and I love it when my man calls me his "little Angel"

Ta now

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2010, 10:26 am

The preference for pink among girls is clearly cultural. However, it's very very hard to avoid.

Most girls clothes are pink, most girls toys are pink. Girls see most other girls wearing pink. Heck, even most books for girls are pink. Some parents manage to avoid the trap but it takes a real effort.

I think of it as the 'Cruise/Jolie-Pitt' spectrum.

SURI <----------------------> SHILOH