Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CMD
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2010, 2:48 pm

I've been 'spinning' in a sense ever since I was about three years old, only at home for some reason. I find it to be quite relaxing, which is probably why it's a habit that has lasted so long.

In multiple articles, I have read that this is a common behavior among people with autism. Whether it's common to those with AS I'm unsure.

So, has anyone else taken part in this kind of behavior as well, or something similar? Maybe even knows someone who has/still does?

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2010, 2:55 pm

I love doing this. It's what office chairs were made for! :lol:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 3:34 pm

I did it a lot as a child, as well as spending hours on the swingset for the same sorts of sensations.

My most common stim now is a side-to-side sway (like Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles), with my hands in my pockets - its just kind of an abbreviated version of the spin, so things indoors don't get knocked over.

As much :D

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 3:59 pm

I'm not too into it. There was a topic on office chairs recently where alot of people responded positively however. I do recall like being spun by my dad on those things at the park and enjoying my mom spinning me around in my uncles pool.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 4:19 pm

I was told by my son's occupational therapist that it really helps when someone has problems with vestibular (balance issues) I also read an article that it is actually good for young children as it promotes healthy brain development. When my son was not walking at 1.5 yrs old, the OT's had me spinning him on a sit and spin and on swings as much as he would tolerate. He finally learned to walk right before he turned 2. It does seem odd that spinning would help you have better balance.......

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 5:04 pm

Yes, it's a typical autistic stim. I don't do it much these days, but I did when I was a little kid.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2010, 5:18 pm

I do it fairly often. It's one of my most noticeable stims.