Advice for your next appointment with your psychologist

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2010, 6:09 pm

I have realised that while saying that everything's fine makes the appointment short and decreases the likelihood of changes being made. the psychologists, even though they may have their own agenda for you, are there to help. It's basic common sense that if you don't let the person who can help know about any issues you're having know, how can they help you with it? That's why they say it's good to talk. Sorry if you feel I'm insulting your intelligence but I felt I had to say that incase someone reading this wasn't thinking like that previously.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:13 pm

Do you use that same name on another site?

NOT A DOCTOR

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:18 pm

Was there a particular patient of yours to whom you're attempting to get this message across? If you can tell us their name, we'll try and make sure they get the message. :P

I wouldn't worry too much, everything's probably just fine - Aspies never lie. :wink:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:31 pm

Even a pretty good psychologist, he or she has tried to help, has come up with a plan, and now asks how it's going:

I actually feel a motivation not to disappointment them, but to instead say 'fine'

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:56 pm

abitclueless wrote:
I have realised that while saying that everything's fine makes the appointment short and decreases the likelihood of changes being made. the psychologists, even though they may have their own agenda for you, are there to help. It's basic common sense that if you don't let the person who can help know about any issues you're having know, how can they help you with it? That's why they say it's good to talk. Sorry if you feel I'm insulting your intelligence but I felt I had to say that incase someone reading this wasn't thinking like that previously.

Yeah, the truth. I think most of my life I was letting other people fob me off, or going with the flow, or not making the noise I should have to get some kind of support. People will let you suffer all kinds of s**t for a very long time if you allow it. That goes for everyone, mental health professionals, and all.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:52 am

abitclueless wrote:
if you don't let the person who can help know about any issues you're having know, how can they help you with it?

That begs the question of whether the person can reformulate their problems in their role as a psychological patient rather than a human being, or whether the psychologist is capable of reformulating their chosen method to actually be useful.

I have suffered plenty of sessions with people who could only perceive any problem within the confines of their own chosen framework, and blamed me for failing to talk if I could not squeeze my reality into their box.