How do you become a professional musician?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:32 pm

Hello everybody. It's been a while since I've been to this site. I've been doing some fun stuff this summer, even though things still aren't going so well in my life. Anyway, I'm going to be a senior in high school this year, so I really need to at least start thinking what I want to do for the rest of my life and how to get there. I think I would be very bored with most jobs since I get bored with pretty much every class in school and not many things make me happy anymore. One thing that does is drumming. I had the idea recently that I could join a band and make drumming my career and do something I love. This is definitely not my only option; I'm far from a failure student in school and I'm actually one of the best at math and science. But I don't think I could deal with my life being the same boring job day after day like it is with school. So I'm asking my questions about this here (since people on WP know everything): What would I need to do to become a professional drummer? Would it be best to focus on something else in college and have another job along with drumming, or should practicing take up so much of my time that I won't have time to study or work? And most importantly, will this choice make me happy, or will I be likely to regret it?

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2010, 8:37 pm

If you don't want to simply leave it to luck, best bet would be to study has a percussionist in a music conservatoire. But such study will have you learn to play other instrument then simply just the drum.

A professional percussionist has to know how to play a very broad range of percussion instrument if you simply don't have to leave it fully to the luck you will find a band that will become popular enough to be able to earn money.

There is just too many drummer available while a good percussionist are harder to find.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

My son's friend goes to college for percussion and helps with music camps in the summer.