Come join the fight to preserve internet freedom

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Relyt22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2010, 2:13 pm

In case anyone hasn't heard, an international treaty is being forced through in several countries, including the United States. The treaty is called Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, or ACTA. What is basically being proposed, is that governments of (and this might even be an incomplete list) Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, The Republic of Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and the United States... will force internet service providers to spy on their customers' internet usage, and report anything they deem suspicious to the government.

Three years ago, leaders of these countries tried to keep this a secret. This was up until some government officials decided that this treaty was basically an overreaction of a response to counterfeiting and protecting intellectual properties, so they leaked it out to the world, using places such as Wikileaks.

A sort of 'three-strikes' rule will be introduced, in which if you are so much as accused of violating copyright or internet piracy three times, your internet connection can be revoked, which would go for everyone else living in your place of residence.

Something else that was in an earlier version of the treaty included having your laptop searched at airport security to make sure you don't have any files that may be deemed pirated.

Right now, there is a movement going on to inform the public about this act, and to try and pressure these governments to rethink this decision. Global protests are planned to take place on Nov. 5, and Oct. 29th for the US a few days before voting. There are also other ways to get involved. To find out more information, check out:

http://anti-acta.com
For discussion and activism planning, visit the Internet Freedom Movement forum at: http://ifmovement.org/forum/index.php

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:19 pm

The New World Order is coming.

Relyt22

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:29 pm

I heard about this. I'm really not sure if I should take it seriously or not.

Relyt22

11 Aug 2010, 2:44 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I heard about this. I'm really not sure if I should take it seriously or not.

No one ever thought the constitution would allow the Patriot Act to pass, and look where we're at now. The treaty agreement says that it would be carried out while disregarding all existing laws of each country involved.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:51 pm

Patriot Act... f*****g Patriot Act.

I just have a hard time believing most of the sources for this one. Sorry, but a lot of people are paranoid and I try my best not to fall in line.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 6:50 pm

This, surely, is the final nail in the coffin for pirates

AAAAARRRR IT BE A SAD DAY CAP'N

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 6:50 pm

how about no

Relyt22

11 Aug 2010, 8:26 pm

This affects everyone, seriously. It's all right there in the leaked documents, all you have to do is take a look at them. It's coming right from the horse's mouth. Spread this to everyone you know, we need as many voices as we can.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:55 am

Giftorcurse wrote:

... however disorderly it might always be ...

Relyt22 wrote:
... we need as many voices as we can.

The globalists bait people with things like this as distractions to shift disturbances so previous things can now be slipped in with less notice.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 9:43 am

Hodor wrote:
This, surely, is the final nail in the coffin for pirates

AAAAARRRR IT BE A SAD DAY CAP'N
even this would be true there has allready way's to hide it all

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:28 am

Giftorcurse wrote:

The New World Order is always coming and always will be, and it's been around for thousands and thousands of years.

Relyt22

12 Aug 2010, 10:58 am

This isn't truther stuff I'm talking about, it's all very real. I wouldn't call it "New World Order", it's more of an overreaction/special treatment to big media corporations, who have been known themselves to overreact. Remember that whole scary ad campaign the RIAA put out of people downloading music, then a bunch of officers rush into their home and arrest them? That "you wouldn't steal a car" whole thing, etc. It seems they've given up on trying to regulate the internet and have instead convinced world leaders to force internet service providers to do it in their name.

And you don't even have to be proven guilty, all it takes is for someone to accuse you of copyright infringement or piracy (which is a stupid word that doesn't even make sense for downloading something), and you are just one step away from losing your internet connection. Sites like YouTube would never survive under such a law. People file false DMCAs there all the time, and any small clip can be considered "copyright infringement". There's even a possibility that "fair use" could go out the window.

It's kind of like the Patriot Act, in a way, that you're guilty until proven innocent.

Relyt22

12 Aug 2010, 11:09 am

leejosepho wrote:
The globalists bait people with things like this as distractions to shift disturbances so previous things can now be slipped in with less notice.

Also, what?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:18 am

Relyt22 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Also, what?

I do not know what you are asking.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:32 am

I believe it. Obama wants the internet "kill switch". Many countries ban websites deemed offensive. Rockefeller admitted that the internet wasn't intended for the normal everyday person. The music and movie industries definitely have a interest in regulation, who owns them? The government would sure like to get rid of the conspiracy sites. They every have a site themselves to counteract the "propaganda"

http://www.america.gov/conspiracy_theories.html

And they have a GREAT bullet proof argument for each topic :roll:

Internet takeover doesn't even get a button, because it's not exactly on top of everyone's brain. Better not to even mention that one.

It's hard to discern what is a genuine problem because of the use of incrementalism, but this is definitely going to have great repercussions.