Left hand girl. Right hand world.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:16 am

My family has a high incident of lefties and I'm no exception. I naturally perform most tasks with my left hand, as opposed to the right one (meaning I cannot participate in most brain studies even if they are for people with AS). This includes using scissors.

However most schools do not carry scissors for left handed children. My kindergarten was an exception. We had a few pairs of left handed scissors. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for 1st grade, 2nd grade, or any other grade for that matter. Nor could I say the same for most of the shops in my area.

Long story short, I've been stuck with having to use right handed scissors most of my life. I never had any problem with this as I picked up the ability to use them rather quickly, but a few months ago I had to cut something which I couldn't get to unless I put the scissors in my left hand.

I was surprised to find that after all these years, using the scissors with my left hand did not feel the least bit awkward to me (with the exception that they did not cut well in that configuration).

I've become completely ambidexterous with scissors.

Does anyone here have any similar experiences?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 3:32 am

I write with my left hand, but I do lots of other things with my right hand, such as using scissors, holding forks and spoons, and using the right-hand mouse on computers. I guess you could say I adapted to a right-handed world, in a sense. :roll:

Also, I'm the only one in my household who is left-handed. My mom, dad, and little sister are all right-handed.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Aug 2010, 4:12 am

My dad is a lefty & when he was in school they made him use his right hand. He's ambidexterous now witch is probably good cuz he's always used the computer mouse with his right hand. Me & my mom are rightiers. It would be a hassle having to change the mouse settings every time he got on are off. When I was in kindergarten; I preferred the left handed scissors even thou I've always used my right hand. I think that could be cuz the right handed scissors wer the safety kids kind & I could NOT cut paper with em even thou others wer able to. I have very bad fine motor skills thou & maybe the angle I was using was wrong or something :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2010, 9:58 am

I'm left handed and I've pretty much kept it to writing and using a mouse. Everything else I do with my right hand. In school I tried using left handed scissors but I had few available and eventually went to right hand scissors. I attempted to become ambidextrous in grade school but I found it difficult to keep the writing utensil steady at the time. Now if I have to I can write a couple of sentences with my right hand but strangely enough it will start to cramp.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:12 am

I've always been right handed but my mum was left handed but her parents wouldn't let her write with her left hand and I have no idea why actually so she had to be teached with her right hand, I think back then it was a problem to write with your left hand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:22 am

I do everything, with my left hand, and I've always have.

sinsyokka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:59 am

im left handed, and whole family are too.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:32 pm

I'm ambidextrous. What hand I prefer depends on what I'm doing.

I was originally left handed, though. I had a religious nutter for a kindergarten teacher that would smack my hand when I used the left one and called me devil spawn. So, I learned to do most things right handed. Even bowl and crochet.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 4:19 pm

There are lots of lefties and a few ambidextrous people in my family; I fall into the second category. Some things I do with my right hand automatically, some I do left-handed. Up until 2nd grade, I did everything evenly. My 2nd grade teacher, however, felt that since I could use my right hand I should not use my left, and punished me brutally if she caught me doing anything left-handed. I still have a mental block and can't write left-handed, but I can do anything else with it. My father is a leftie (my mother is a rightie and so is my brother), but he can write with both hands. In high school, he broke his left hand playing football and had to learn to use his right. He also wears his wedding ring on his right hand as he felt it got in the way on his left!

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2010, 4:59 pm

I think I was born left handed, but in pre-school I was pressured to use my right hand. Of course I had a hell of a time learning my right from my left because everyone told me that my "main hand" was the right one, and since I use to use my left hand more, I assumed my left hand was my right. To this day I sometimes get confused between my right and my left.

However I've been able to do almost everything with either hand, I am not a true ambidextrous, but mixed dominance. I think that is what it is. I want to use scissors left handed, but the right handed ones don't work that way, which drives me crazy.

The other odd thing is I can write just as well with my left hand, except the words and letters are actually backwards. You could hold it in a mirror and read it. It's odd.