Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

odysseus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2010, 7:55 am

I am very new to Wrong Planet, having only recently found out that I have Asperger's (I am 51).

Since I was a child, I have loved swimming underwater. Several years ago, I learned scuba-diving, but did not like all the kit that goes with it. I far prefer freediving / breath-hold swimming. This is not merely enjoyment - it seems to answer some psychological need deep within me.

Can anyone tell me:

(a) if they feel the same;

(b) whether this may be an expression of Asperger's?

Thanks!

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:26 am

My mom used to tell me I was like a mermaid, being under water more than over it.
It feels good for me to be underwater. I think it's just what some people enjoy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 9:31 am

I'm afraid to swim underwater, because I don't want to mess up my hair. I used to love swimming underwater, when I was younger.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:05 am

Although I have not been underwater for some time now, I do enjoy the seeming weightlessness and relative freedom-of-movement there along with a sense of comfort in that higher-pressure environment. I would suspect other types of people enjoy those things as well, but maybe some of us just notice and pursue them a bit more?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 11:25 am

Yes, I am like a fish in the water. I can swim for hours and hours without getting tired. As a kid, I weeded ponds, and retrieved golf balls from them, at golf courses during summer break. I love to snorkel and want to learn to scuba. I think scuba would be like flying, but underwater.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:19 pm

I've hated being underwater since I dived too far and hurt my ear.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

I hate getting my head wet... Also I hate dunking my head since my uncle dunked me underwater when I was 7 or so. It kind of wasn't fun...

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

I also became a certified scuba diver when I was 13, but I haven't done it for years. I was always afraid to dive deeper than 50ft, so I never did. I started getting really bad panic attacks when I was in my 20's. Since then i've been afraid to dive at all. Even a panic attack at 30ft while breathing compressed air is not a good thing.

I also developed a minor eustachian dysfunction a few years ago so my ears are congested much of the time and I wouldn't be able to equalize while diving ofcourse. It really depresses me becaused I had a passion for diving and I miss it. :cry:

I still snorkel though and I enjoy swimming underwater. I can't hold my breath very long since I don't have much lung capacity. I don't necessarily like/dislike swimming underwater for it's own sake. I just like to be able to see small marine life like christmas tree worms, flame scallops, crabs, etc....that you often can't see while snorkeling on the surface.

Sometimes the smaller creatures are just as beautiful and fascinating as the big fish, turtles, corals, etc.....

Flame scallops:

The multi-colored respiratory structures of christmas tree worms:

[img][800:500]http://www.klush-rakshots.com/images/photobook/photos/2007gulfofthailand/18.jpg[/img]

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:10 pm

I love the water. I've always wanted to learn to swim.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:30 pm

I can imagine the positives, but I can't do it - one of my sensory things is I can NOT STAND water on the back of my neck. Makes me feel I am drowning. I never could learn to swim - way back my father teaching us to float on the wayt to swimming was agony. I avoid showers for that reason, if I have do Ido NOT let it run down my baclk.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:56 pm

temple grandin built a squeeze machine for herself, to use when panicked , the added pressure would calm her down.perhaps the higher atmospheric pressure at depths works the same for you. good for you. if you can't deal with scuba gear, getting yourself incredibly aerobically fit would do wonders for the length of time you can hold your breath, no?

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

I like swimming underwater. Actually, I like swimming. It's probably because I don't feel as uncoordinated while swimming as I do when doing other forms of physical exercise. I mean, I absolutely can't throw a ball, but I'm a pretty good swimmer, so I'd be stupid not to prefer swimming over ball games.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:23 pm

As long as I wasn't forced to "jump in" or forced to interact with other kids in a group. If I was free do to my own thing I love it.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

I used to love swimming...until I almost drowned while taking lessons! I will go into the water, but only up to my neck. I cannot stand getting water into my ears. I didn't bother me as much when I was younger(even though I grew up with chronic ear infections), but now...ugh...no thanks. Eventually I will attempt to conquer my irrational fear of water again.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:13 pm

Oh, I love being underwater. Whenever I go to a pool, I'm underwater about 80% of the time... it's just an odd experience. I slipped into a trance once when I was at the beach and in the pool and I remember thinking, 'Why am I not breathing?' I forgot I was underwater, so I began to breathe... yeah.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2010, 7:37 pm

I love swimming, especially underwater, I will swim all day long if I have nothing else that needs done. I grew up in Florida, so I have been swimming since I was a baby, and am a strong swimmer. Those who know me say I am like a sea otter.

Swimming underwater is much more entertaining when in the ocean, because there is much more to look at, but I will swim underwater just as much in pools, which other people seem to find odd.

I notice most others who swim in pools stick to swimming at the water's surface, but that bores me.