Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2006, 10:31 pm

I know that with T.S. symptoms can wane over time. For example when I was a boy I would flap my arms alot. Now I do not. So if your condition waned in severity, perhaps it's no longer as apparant, if A.S. is anything like T.S.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2006, 7:52 pm

Why should we be 'cured'? There's nothing wrong with us. The world is told that there is and it has been generally been accepted that we have a 'disorder' but really all we are is a selective group of people who think and function differently. Thinking about it that way one could then say that someone from a different country thinks and functions differently. Therefore why should we be changed just to suit someone else's idea of 'normal'? Why should we be the ones to be 'cured' and not everyone else for thinking of us as a 'disorder' and not 'individuals'? I'm happy to be an Aspie and if there were a cure I wouldn't accept it. I would choose to remain as I am. But that's just me =^^=

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2006, 7:54 pm

Yeah, I don't see my brain functions ever changing, no matter how hard I try.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2006, 7:58 pm

1Oryx2 wrote:
Why should we be 'cured'? There's nothing wrong with us. The world is told that there is and it has been generally been accepted that we have a 'disorder' but really all we are is a selective group of people who think and function differently. Thinking about it that way one could then say that someone from a different country thinks and functions differently. Therefore why should we be changed just to suit someone else's idea of 'normal'? Why should we be the ones to be 'cured' and not everyone else for thinking of us as a 'disorder' and not 'individuals'? I'm happy to be an Aspie and if there were a cure I wouldn't accept it. I would choose to remain as I am. But that's just me =^^=

*claps* well spoken

immune18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2006, 9:12 pm

of course it cant be cured, theres nothing to cure, our brains our set up differently to NT's, we lose our social ability and get abilities in areas others dont, simple as that.

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2006, 10:29 am

Quote:
Why should we be 'cured'?

Because an extremely anal very narrow section of society that is scared by anyone who's even remotely original says we're abnormal because we're smart and we're not afraid to tell them what they're afraid to admit.

Amen to the above poster. I'm fed up with different = wrong.

Apple

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 11:49 am

The only thing I have for this topic is

huh uh

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 1:07 pm

iamlucille wrote:
Do you think it's possible? Cuz my dad spoke to the guy who diagnosed me today and he said I wouldn't be diagnosed as having Asperger's anymore. Possible? Or no? You tell me!
Asperger's is a way of describing the way your brain works; so technically, it's not possible to "cure" Asperger's. However, the human brain is quite flexible, and you are as capable of learning as any other human being.

What the person who diagnosed you probably meant was that you are capable of compensating for the difficulties Asperger's brings into your life--possibly even by using the strengths that also come with Asperger's--so that you are no longer hindered by the way your brain works. What's being said is not that your brain will be different from what it is now, but that you will have learned to understand communication, overcome sensory difficulties, and manage obsessions; so that your Asperger's will no longer be a disability for you.

Since one of the qualifications for a diagnosis is that the condition hinders you in your daily life, technically you will no longer have a "diagnosis" of Asperger's--but your brain will still have the same way of working as it always did. I would still call such a person an "Aspie", though; the way we have of thinking will persist all through our lifetimes, whether or not we learn to compensate for the differences between us and neurotypicals.

immune18 wrote:
of course it cant be cured, theres nothing to cure, our brains our set up differently to NT's, we lose our social ability and get abilities in areas others dont, simple as that.
I don't actually think we lose our social abilities altogether like someone with non-verbal autism might; we do have the use of language (and even non-verbal auties can often communicate in writing, sign, or symbols). It is more of a different way of communicating that is mostly an exchange of facts. Social skills do not come naturally for us; but we are capable of learning to imitate what NTs do learn naturally.

A "cure" for Asperger's? I wouldn't want one; I like the way I am. But learning to communicate and compensate for sensory problems is still beneficial.

I think, if all the people of the world were Aspies, we would learn how to manage sensory overload in school, right along with science and history. But, as it is, we have to learn that sort of thing on our own, just like someone who didn't go to school might attend adult literacy classes.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 6:17 pm

Callista wrote:
sensory overload in school, right along with science and history. But, as it is, we have to learn that sort of thing on our own, just like someone who didn't go to school might attend adult literacy classes.

i wish there were an 'aspie school'.i would liked to have learned how to deal with my anxiety and sensory problems. i know other people and they would benifitgreatly from an aspie school. learning how to deal with the problems is better then curing aspergers because you don't have to give up the good things about aspergers

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2006, 11:54 pm

Personally, I like being this way. I've learned to deal with it living for 18 years. But maybe, all those allegations of AS being the subject of mercury poisioning through vaccinations are true, in which case, we're trippin on mercury 24-7! hellz yea!... but anyways, we're's my point? ah yes, I found this site recently, Clay for Autism. Could be a hoax, doesn't look like one to me, but it's supposed to be some bath clays that magnetically sucks out toxins that causes us to have poor non-verbal skills and motor coordination. I dunno if I want to parttake though, because like I said, I've learned to deal with my AS to the point of liking it. But if u guys wanna check it out it's at clayforautism.com , and remember to do your research before you make any hasty decisions.

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2006, 10:38 am

Clay? Removing toxins? That sounds kind of scary. I think I'd rather just be out of it all the time.

I think it's just the way our brains work. Imagine if you got cured of it...you'd have to relearn everything anyway because your brain would function in a whole new way. No thanks. Sounds like way too much trouble to me. I have a hard enough time living with what I've got. Why would I want to relearn it anymore than I already am? It'd be like compounding the problem.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 12:23 pm

It sounds to me like they just want to torture Aspies by making them sit in gooky mud when they have their baths. Sounds more like a recipe for sensory overload than a cure to me.

A lot of people recommend those sorts of cures because they know desperate parents who want a "normal" child will buy them. It's money-grubbing, pure and simple; and it takes advantage of parents who could otherwise learn to love the child they got instead of the NT child they expected. But this way, all that happens is that the parents get more dissatisfied and frantic with their Autie/Aspie kids, and the kids pick up on the parents' tension, and there are treatments and running around and upheaval, adding to the kids' stress; and the relationship that could have begun long ago, on the child's AS-style wavelength, will be postponed--maybe indefinitely.

I can understand the parents of a low-functioning, nonverbal autistic child wanting a cure; and anything that helps that child communicate with the rest of the world is great--though you'll never get that child to jump off the spectrum; no matter how much you try, you can't change who they are. But the parents of an Aspie?! What in the world is wrong with being an Aspie, may I ask? We can be just as happy and productive as anyone else in the world; and the only reason we have trouble is that the education we're given is tailored to NT kids, and we don't learn what we need to know! We don't need to be forced into an artificial NT mold. We need to learn, just like anybody else, the things you use to get around in the world.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

cory4566
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2006, 7:17 pm

My mom is the president of the autisum societiy for anne arundel county and there are ways of making modification/compramizztions. She is a wizz at it and knows great problem solving statigies.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2006, 10:10 pm

paulsinnerchild wrote:
I could not be more happy to be cured of the low function autism early in my life. Being saddled with that all my life is not much fun. You are getting nowhere just be being totally absorbed with yourself in a daydreaming fantasy world and completely shut off from the outside world. I am really happy to be an aspie now which is by far the lesser of the two evils.
However even with Aspergers I still lapse into the same day dreaming fantasies as I did with LFA except I can control my temper better and I are far more thirstier for knowledge.

Have you tried writing down your fantasies as if they were stories, novels, trilogies, movies, or TV show story arcs? Give yourself an hour a day to do so?

My sig used to be "Living in a fantasy world - you say that like it's a BAD thing." ANd I write.