Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 4:01 am

marshall wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there any places in the Midwest that are considered middle of the road? (meaning not too conservative or not too liberal).

I think most of Wisconsin is pretty middle of the road. It's far enough north to be outside the bible belt but it's still very midwest. The winters will be colder than you can believe compared to Texas though.

Michigan is pretty segregated in terms of political leanings. The western side is very conservative and religious, the eastern part is mostly UAW blue-collar democrats but not really socially liberal, and then you have Ann Arbor and East Lansing which are college-town liberal/progressive.

What about Indiana and Ohio?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 7:16 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
The Mid-West is where people go when they've given up on life.

Really? Coming from someone from West Virginia? The state where the Govenor is spending 5.5 million dollars to convince the rest of the US that they aren't incestious toothless hillbilly's. I hope you don't mind I am not taking your critism too seriously.

http://www.newsweek.com/2009/02/26/hill ... -more.html

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2010, 8:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Spyral wrote:
[quote="passionatebach"I thought Oklahoma was more southern than Midwest. Incidentally, I lived in Wichita Falls, Texas for a year (across the river from Lawton).

It's considered Southern Great Plains. That's more physical geography than social description. Not really sure where we fit. Not the South (Deep South type typically fought in Civil War but we weren't a state yet) although Eastern Oklahoma was a big sharecropping cotton producer post Civil War. Not the West, although parts of the state (like the Panhandle) are probably closer to the West than anything else. Kind of a cross-roads state, maybe. When I took OK History at OU this last semester, there was a lot of debate about where we fit in...

There's a funny King of the Hill episode where they go to Wichita Falls.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 1:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
marshall wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there any places in the Midwest that are considered middle of the road? (meaning not too conservative or not too liberal).

I think most of Wisconsin is pretty middle of the road. It's far enough north to be outside the bible belt but it's still very midwest. The winters will be colder than you can believe compared to Texas though.

Michigan is pretty segregated in terms of political leanings. The western side is very conservative and religious, the eastern part is mostly UAW blue-collar democrats but not really socially liberal, and then you have Ann Arbor and East Lansing which are college-town liberal/progressive.

What about Indiana and Ohio?

Northern indiana is more industrialized owibg to chicago and the other midwestern industrial regions and even without that history their culture is similar to michigan [minus .the finnish people]. WellIowa actuaally given Iowa is not heavily industrialized.

Southern indiana is culturally 'southern' leaning. The dividing line could be said to be that interstate expressway that bisects the state evenly through and goes through the capitol Indianapolis and its metro area. Illinois is similar but in this case during the civil war southern illinois wanted to secede like what happened with wet virginia.

Ohio is similar again to north indiana/michigan in culture and it is not bisected like illinois or indiana.

marshall wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

To warn tim_tex: the climate of the northern midwest is similar to that experienced in/around Moscow. (Say cities like Minneapolis).

Btw I've seen a lot of 'weird' people who go to/from wisconsin areas and cities. Tending to be anime fans and renfaire people. Note this is my observation that is all. Also they tend to seem to be from southern wisconsin [milwaukee area and nearby regions that connect to chicago]. Also then again this cityaks youth has a lot of travels from dustbown towns and smaller midwestern cities so note that.

Also if this is not informative enough: my views on 'liberal' and 'conservative' might be skewed even if I get what you all mean so I am limiting that phrasing/exactly discussing it but giving you revelent info for this.

Aka define 'too conservative' v 'too liberal'.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 5:22 am

Quote:
's funny that you say that because I did some genealogy about a year ago and found out that part of my family comes from Hertfordshire and Hampshire

My ancestors were the feudal lords of the county. Some ended up exiled in Massachusets somewhere as they'd pissed off Elizabeth I.

The lass I know from Rolla is decended from someone caught stealing horses in the county of essex next door to herftfordshire. She actually lives somewhere near Tulsa Oaklahoma now I think.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:59 am

Laz wrote:
Quote:
's funny that you say that because I did some genealogy about a year ago and found out that part of my family comes from Hertfordshire and Hampshire

My ancestors were the feudal lords of the county. Some ended up exiled in Massachusets somewhere as they'd pissed off Elizabeth I.

The lass I know from Rolla is decended from someone caught stealing horses in the county of essex next door to herftfordshire. She actually lives somewhere near Tulsa Oaklahoma now I think.

I guess your family would have their own reasons for being pissed off at the bourgeoisie and the aristocracy. My wife has been to England around the time the Iraq war broke out and she says that distrust of the government is common to English people and the media is much more critical and I read an essay by George Orwell that was along similar lines. Here your expected to love the government unconditionally lest you be unpatriotic. I'm not really that psycho about my heritage but if I ever make it to England I'd like to visit those two counties. Maybe the Isle of Wight and Whitby too.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:00 pm

Shadwell wrote:
Here your expected to love the government unconditionally lest you be unpatriotic.

Wow. What alternate America do you live in? I can't say I've ever experienced that. I've met lots of people who think others must be unpatriotic because they don't agree on which relig . . . uh, party approaches things best, but hardly anyone actually likes "the government."

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:33 pm

another_1 wrote:
Shadwell wrote:
Here your expected to love the government unconditionally lest you be unpatriotic.

Wow. What alternate America do you live in? I can't say I've ever experienced that. I've met lots of people who think others must be unpatriotic because they don't agree on which relig . . . uh, party approaches things best, but hardly anyone actually likes "the government."

Yea. The only thing Midwest Americans lika about the government is the fact that the goverment kills "brown people who are out to get us". :roll: Other than that the government can't do anything right and we'd be better of with multination corperations running everything in this country, including schools, transportation systems, etc... :(

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm

I live in the Midwest. It stinks.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:53 am

marshall wrote:
West Michigan (where my parents live and where I grew up) isn't so great either. It's the land of dour conservative republican fundamentalist Calvinists. A lot of the local communities center around church so if you don't go to church you feel left out.

Our pastor is originally from Iowa, and is now serving our congregation in Spokane Valley, Washington. Well, the Pacific Northwest has the reputation of having the least church going population of any other region of the country. My pastor told my wife and me that he finds this refreshing. In conservative Iowa, people go to church because they feel they feel they have to. Here in Washington, people go to church because they really want to.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2010, 4:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
marshall wrote:
West Michigan (where my parents live and where I grew up) isn't so great either. It's the land of dour conservative republican fundamentalist Calvinists. A lot of the local communities center around church so if you don't go to church you feel left out.

Our pastor is originally from Iowa, and is now serving our congregation in Spokane Valley, Washington. Well, the Pacific Northwest has the reputation of having the least church going population of any other region of the country. My pastor told my wife and me that he finds this refreshing. In conservative Iowa, people go to church because they feel they feel they have to. Here in Washington, people go to church because they really want to.

I don't find Iowa, especially the larger cities to be overly conservative. We are one of the few states in the country right now to have legalized gay marriage. We have also been on the forefront of many social issues.

I do know that the farther west in the state that you get, the more conservative that it does get. I live in the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City area which is in the eastern part of the state, and I have found people overall to be pretty tolerant of people with disabilities.

I may also be due to the fact that I have a tendency to seek out groups and organizations the have a tendency to be inclusive and tolerant.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 4:20 pm

passionatebach wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
marshall wrote:

I don't find Iowa, especially the larger cities to be overly conservative. We are one of the few states in the country right now to have legalized gay marriage. We have also been on the forefront of many social issues.

I do know that the farther west in the state that you get, the more conservative that it does get. I live in the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City area which is in the eastern part of the state, and I have found people overall to be pretty tolerant of people with disabilities.

I may also be due to the fact that I have a tendency to seek out groups and organizations the have a tendency to be inclusive and tolerant.

To be sure, Iowa does have gay marriage - I wish we did here in Washington, too. My pastor hails from a little town with - I believe he said - two hundred people, where everyone is pretty much cousins of everyone else. He once told me how, upon returning home to visit his mother (who has since passed away), she had told him how they had to beat the Godless Democrats in the next election. My pastor, apparently having become more worldly since leaving home, answered by telling her that just because someone doesn't wear their faith on their sleeve doesn't mean they're not Christians. I would imagine a tiny town like this is worlds apart from Ceder Rapids-Iowa City.

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2010, 10:01 pm

Wisconsin here now, after moving back after being in Georgia. I hate it here, but need to be here due to the resources available to get the AS DX and look at some serious sleep-related issues i'm having. i hate it here. that feeling is only going to get worse once winter descends upon us...

vikingsteve
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2010, 12:15 pm

Yep, I hate the close-minded attitudes of the Midwest too. I live in Iowa, right on the border with Illinois and Wisconsin. Some day I'll move out to the coast, be it East or West, where there will be a ton of people and I've got to have something in common with at least one of them... hopefully a woman

To clarify, nobody here is intolerant. It's mostly just the feeling of being in a small place, with people who aren't willing to express themselves because of insecurities. Out on the coast, nobody cares how you act, you just do it! Oddities are the norm there...

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 7:12 pm

I personally find the midwest to liberal for my tastes. But it's certainly better then when I lived on the east coast.

chainsawswinger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2010, 6:13 pm

He just sounds like a bum. Bums are everywhere. Don't take it personally.