Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 1:03 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:
Not sure if it was an obsession, but I did– and still do love shock absorbers a lot! They're so good looking on cars. XD

Interesting, and especially for a female to have an interest in a 'part' that's guy related. 8)

I like lots of "guy related" things. :P

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 1:03 pm

takemitsu wrote:
When I was younger I was younger, I always wanted to look at the pantone color code (IDK what it's called) on cereal boxes. My mom still makes fun of me about it, she'll ask if I want to see the pretty colors lol.

Those are the test patterns they use at the printing stage of the package production, to check that all the different color inks are getting printed, and that the separate parts that print the different colors are all in alignment. It's a bit like the test page on an inkjet printer, but the machines have to be much better calibrated, as the paper/card comes off a huge roll, and goes through the machine really quickly. I used to do temp work at a magazine printers and binders, and the really interesting bit is the part that takes the huge printed sheet as it comes flying out of the dryer section, and then folds it up into stacks of about 16 layers, and cuts them off into a section of a magazine, putting all the folds in just the right places so that the print is on the right pages.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 2:32 pm

My 5 yr old son is obsessed with the VW logo on cars. He is also obsessed with light fixtures in bathrooms and telephones.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 9:30 pm

I don't think i've ever had an actual obsession with parts of objects... But i get fixated on parts of objects or parts of a whole for short periods of time. An example would be like, say, if there was a toy car sitting around.. i might concentrate on the wheels and spin them around and look at how they're attached to the car and how fast they spin, etc. Or if i'm sitting around in the doctor's office i might see a door hinge and look at how it's attached and think about how it works.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Another interest I had was with the instrument clusters in cars, and I would ride my bike up and down the street peering into parked cars to see the instrument layouts. I thought nothing about the possible consequences as I was putting my forehead against the window glass of a neighbor's car and staring at the gauges.

You're joking! I had exactly the same interest when I was a kid. Our next-door neighbours would often hand me a big bit of butchers' paper, and I'd faithfully replicate the layout of all the knobs and gauges in cars I'd seen. Being a New Zealand country town in the late '70s/early '80s, people didn't always lock their car doors, and I didn't just stare through the windows, but climbed in to a couple of them. The owner of a particular Ford Anglia caught me in the act, and gave me a piece of his mind.

Nowadays I've returned to having a similar special interest, in the form of customising my GNOME desktop: deciding which controls to add, and where (plus the aesthetics of the whole thing).

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm

BPalmer wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
Another interest I had was with the instrument clusters in cars, and I would ride my bike up and down the street peering into parked cars to see the instrument layouts. I thought nothing about the possible consequences as I was putting my forehead against the window glass of a neighbor's car and staring at the gauges.

You're joking! I had exactly the same interest when I was a kid. Our next-door neighbours would often hand me a big bit of butchers' paper, and I'd faithfully replicate the layout of all the knobs and gauges in cars I'd seen. Being a New Zealand country town in the late '70s/early '80s, people didn't always lock their car doors, and I didn't just stare through the windows, but climbed in to a couple of them. The owner of a particular Ford Anglia caught me in the act, and gave me a piece of his mind.

Nowadays I've returned to having a similar special interest, in the form of customising my GNOME desktop: deciding which controls to add, and where (plus the aesthetics of the whole thing).

Unbelievable, awesome and hilarious! 8)

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 11:59 pm

polarity wrote:
I've always been more into taking things apart. My parents had to hide all the screwdrivers to keep me from exploring the inside of the VCR. Funny thing is, I've fixed more things than I've broken by disassembling and reassembling. I do collect parts though, and have boxes of sorted computer components.

I can remember overhearing my folks lamenting about buying me something , such as train set or race car set , as inevitably winding up disassembled , or as said, "he's just going to take it all apart later".