Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 5:40 pm

Any Wrong Planet members ever had obsessions with parts of objects?

I can remember as a kid, (around 8 ), getting all excited about the tail lights on cars. I would talk about their shapes and configurations with great enthusiasm to whoever was in earshot. So much so I recall a reprimand from a cousin of mine about this , as I was annoying my family with this interest.
He said," what's up with you about the tail lights on all these cars?". At this time my uncle bought a new 1973 Chevelle , and I positioned myself behind the car and calling my cousin over to share my enthusiasm . :alien:

Another interest I had was with the instrument clusters in cars, and I would ride my bike up and down the street peering into parked cars to see the instrument layouts .
I thought nothing about the possible consequences as I was putting my forehead against the window glass of a neighbor's car and staring at the gauges.

And I would fixate on the wheel carriage assembly on trains ( the trucks) ,and would carry and brandish an HO scaled "one" in my pocket.

What about you?

Last edited by Mdyar on 13 Aug 2010, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

I remember being obsessed with those dials and knobs, on those old TV sets.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 6:58 pm

Whatever it was in the world that I saw, I was asking about it to my mother. I made my mother go crazy from all the questions I would ask in a day.

But I was especially obsessed with radio waves and electricity, parts of electronics that made electronics work. It started with the radio, then VCR/tape and worked it's way up into computers.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 11:32 pm

Kelpie wrote:
Whatever it was in the world that I saw, I was asking about it to my mother. I made my mother go crazy from all the questions I would ask in a day.

But I was especially obsessed with radio waves and electricity, parts of electronics that made electronics work. It started with the radio, then VCR/tape and worked it's way up into computers.

Yeah, same here. I got into HAM radio a bit as my uncle was an operator, but I studied the theory of radio waves more so.
I have a lot of the testing equipment for every type of appliance: oscilloscope, VOM'S , capacitance meter, manometer, gas leak detectors,vacrometer,etc.
My "latest" has been refrigeration theory , and I am now competent with all these systems.

I suppose all of this has to with detailed processing , via parts of objects.
But a circumscribing of topics and becoming an expert on these is part in parcel of detailed processing also.

Last edited by Mdyar on 13 Aug 2010, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2010, 11:34 pm

does a part of human anatomy count? because that was my special interest around 13 & 14, but i still have it just not the main focus

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 1:03 am

Vacuum tubes and speakers. When I was little, my dad and I would drive around out in the sticks and find older style TVs that people had illegally dumped, so I could take the tubes and speakers out of them (not the CRT, but the tubes used in the electronics before transistors came about). While TV tubes are practically worthless these days, I was collecting them because they fascinated me.

That interest is still with me. I've built and restored old-style radios. As I post this, I'm playing music through my vintage pre and power amps that use tubes. In fact, I just bought a brand new matched quad of output tubes, since my original (circa 1959) set was starting to show problems, both in the system and on my tube tester. :D

When I was VERY little, I would check out the doorstops anywhere I went. I also collected sprinkler heads.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 3:07 am

Not sure if it was an obsession, but I did– and still do love shock absorbers a lot! They're so good looking on cars. XD

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 8:59 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Not sure if it was an obsession, but I did– and still do love shock absorbers a lot! They're so good looking on cars. XD

Interesting, and especially for a female to have an interest in a 'part' that's guy related. 8)

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 9:19 am

Blasty wrote:
Vacuum tubes and speakers. When I was little, my dad and I would drive around out in the sticks and find older style TVs that people had illegally dumped, so I could take the tubes and speakers out of them (not the CRT, but the tubes used in the electronics before transistors came about). While TV tubes are practically worthless these days, I was collecting them because they fascinated me.

I'm old enough that my folks had the the real McCoy. My grandmother had an organ and as I remember the back was open and all you'd see was the orange glow of the vacuum tubes. I would gaze at the back of T.V.'s and organs. :lol:

Quote:
That interest is still with me. I've built and restored old-style radios. As I post this, I'm playing music through my vintage pre and power amps that use tubes. In fact, I just bought a brand new matched quad of output tubes, since my original (circa 1959) set was starting to show problems, both in the system and on my tube tester. :D

Interesting. The electronics or the dynamics of the 'pentode tube' is superior to a modern semi -conductor such as bipolar transistors , but of course the power consumption is high.

Quote:
When I was VERY little, I would check out the doorstops anywhere I went.

Yeah , I would fixate on the such types of things. The details are so hypnotic.

Last edited by Mdyar on 14 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 9:24 am

eon wrote:
does a part of human anatomy count? because that was my special interest around 13 & 14, but i still have it just not the main focus

You bet.

You're now in the throes of a new detail obsession being absent. 8)

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 12:00 pm

When I was younger I was younger, I always wanted to look at the pantone color code (IDK what it's called) on cereal boxes. My mom still makes fun of me about it, she'll ask if I want to see the pretty colors lol. When ever someone was done making a pot of coffee, I asked to see the bottom of the kettle. Sometimes I watched TV shows just to see the station identification or logos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1hfUBb8GD8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bks909m8zl0&playnext=1&videos=yBb57GIUlms[/youtube]

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm

Blasty wrote:

When I was VERY little, I would check out the doorstops anywhere I went. I also collected sprinkler heads.

I have dozens and dozens of boxes of old TV knobs and small TV tubes... Part of my vintage TV collecting/repair hobby. Between sirens and TVs, and tubes, you and I have a lot of common Aspie focuses! If you're ever in SoCal, let me know and my wife and I will invite you out to check out the Siren Ranch, and my TV & tube collections!

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider on 14 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 12:13 pm

When I was 4 I was obsessed with carwashes (the kind you drive through). I was particularly infatuated with the dryers (the ones that roll up over the top of the car blowing air). I called them whoo-ers because of the sound they made. :)

I also liked to take things apart and play with the peices. I annoyed my parents by constantly taking the batteries out of the TV remote. I was obsessed with pushing buttons on everything as well.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 12:41 pm

takemitsu wrote:
When I was younger I was younger, I always wanted to look at the pantone color code (IDK what it's called) on cereal boxes. My mom still makes fun of me about it, she'll ask if I want to see the pretty colors lol. When ever someone was done making a pot of coffee, I asked to see the bottom of the kettle. Sometimes I watched TV shows just to see the station identification or logos.

Awesome!

I would have dreams with these station logos , and funnily before a dream , a logo as such would appear to kick off the dream! :lmao:

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm

I've always been more into taking things apart. My parents had to hide all the screwdrivers to keep me from exploring the inside of the VCR. Funny thing is, I've fixed more things than I've broken by disassembling and reassembling. I do collect parts though, and have boxes of sorted computer components.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm

I would take everything apart when i was little, vcrs tv's and the microwave