Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2010, 8:49 pm

KaiG wrote:
I'm definitely seeing this movie. Apparently it's not faring too well in the American box office, despite good reviews. A mindless nostalgic star vehicle like The Expendables is beating it! It's a travesty.

I have no doubt that Scott Pilgrim will do well with DVD sales and all that, but I'd like to see Edgar Wright rewarded for his hard work and talent by some more gross earnings. I mean, technically it's an extremely difficult film to make, and he did it as well as anyone could have, from what I hear.

Opened really low--because only the cool kids saw it and there's not too many of us...

The current thinking though, is that it'll have some legs--repeat viewings, word of mouth, etc. Bad idea opening against the Expendables, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Not sure how to start a word of mouth campaign, but would if I could...

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:27 pm

Spyral wrote:
KaiG wrote:
I'm definitely seeing this movie. Apparently it's not faring too well in the American box office, despite good reviews. A mindless nostalgic star vehicle like The Expendables is beating it! It's a travesty.

I have no doubt that Scott Pilgrim will do well with DVD sales and all that, but I'd like to see Edgar Wright rewarded for his hard work and talent by some more gross earnings. I mean, technically it's an extremely difficult film to make, and he did it as well as anyone could have, from what I hear.

Opened really low--because only the cool kids saw it and there's not too many of us...

The current thinking though, is that it'll have some legs--repeat viewings, word of mouth, etc. Bad idea opening against the Expendables, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Not sure how to start a word of mouth campaign, but would if I could...

If you wanna start a word of mouth campaign, just recommend it to any movie fans you know. Just do word of mouth, keep telling people about it. Try and convince them to go see it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Aug 2010, 2:58 am

Italianwolf77 wrote:
If you wanna start a word of mouth campaign, just recommend it to any movie fans you know. Just do word of mouth, keep telling people about it. Try and convince them to go see it.

You tell two friends & they'll tell two friends & that's like 10 people rite there

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2010, 7:18 pm

The box office earnings look bad at the moment, but once the film is released elsewhere and the DVD sales go in it won't look so bad. I can easily see this being a massive cult hit.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2010, 6:21 pm

I'm pretty disappointed this movie isn't doing well in the box office. Go watch it, people!

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 7:12 pm

I will, as soon as they bloody release it in my country.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 3:24 am

I saw it this evening with Suisei, it was so awesome that I don't think I have the mental capacity to write a coherent review. My mind has been officially blown.

Also, the soundtrack on this was killer. I've already located the OST on iTunes and bought "Threshold" by the Sex Bob-ombs as well as the one BGM track that plays during most of the fight scenes. They will make great additions to the "Bar Brawl Mix" on my iPod.

Haha, just kidding, I really don't have a "Bar Brawl Mix". Still, I would think listening to music like that would help me in a fight, I get all hyperfocused and it's like I can keep up by tuning into the beat of the music.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2010, 5:19 pm

Any other people who've seen it? (Seriously, go watch it if you haven't).

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2010, 6:33 pm

I'm seeing it this Wednesday, which is the day of release here, cannot wait.

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2010, 5:32 pm

Sorry for the double post, but having now seen it, I can safely say that I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film as much as this. It's been a couple of hours since I walked out of the cinema but I still feel like I'm on a high.

Film of the year, no doubt.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

I really want to see it NOW, but I'm going on holiday to Croatia for a week starting on the 27th, and no-one I know is available to see it tomorrow. This sucks! I'll have to watch it myself tomorrow (which doesn't seem right for this kind of movie), or wait until the second week of September when my friend finishes his Masters dissertation!

s**t

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm

I watched Scott Pilgrim by myself and it was still great. The audience was really into it, though.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 6:20 am

If I'm lucky, I might watch it this weekend :)

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 8:59 am

Dennis wrote:
I watched Scott Pilgrim by myself and it was still great. The audience was really into it, though.

I press-ganged my friend into reading the comics though, so I think it'd be a disservice to him if I went by myself while he's slaving to earn his MA.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 6:51 pm

I loved this movie (went to see it twice, I don't remember the last time I saw a movie twice while it was in theaters) and its a shame it hasn't been making good money. I'm a fan of the graphic novels and I didn't mind that it crammed five books into one movie or really lessened the role of the whole "sub-space" thing.

I loved the music that Beck and Metric and Broken Social Scene did for the bands. Its been a while since Beck has done this much fuzzy guitar music.

I'm probably going to buy it on DVD because I didn't catch the little short animated piece on Adult Swim the weekend the movie opened and because I want the people who made this movie (especially Brian Lee O'Malley) to make more money. I think Universal's going to find out that they're going to have an "Office Space"-style cult hit once this hits DVD.

also, for anyone who liked the movie and hasn't read the graphic novels, I suggest you at least try to order them from a library or something. They're a fun read.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:15 pm

I love this movie! I didn't know about the graphic novel until recently, but I really wanna get it once I have money again.
I think the reason it's not doing so well in the box office is because it came out at the same time as The Expendables.