Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2010, 10:54 pm

After reading up a bit about AS children and adults, I have learnt that wrapping the body in blankets etc can help to calm some people.

I have tried this on myself, and have found it is an excellent way to assist in calming myself down after a stressful day. After experimenting a bit, I have found also that I can get nearly the same effect with things such as scarves, hats and gloves :P easy things I can put on and if it's cold, nobody has to know that the purpose of these things is not just to keep warm. I have posted about this before.

I suppose my only regret is that I have only discovered these things in my late 20's and spent my childhood extremely anxious and "wriggly", couldn't sit still but I am fortunate that I have at least discovered it now.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 10:58 pm

Wrapping yourself in thick blankets or gymnastic mats is fun :P

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 11:21 pm

yes! i like heavy blankets on top of me. i also enjoy tucking my arms under something like a seatbelt, or between my body and the chair arms. i like to be under a person's weight as well, like on the bottom of a whole-body crushing hug.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm

YES.

When I'm sitting I don't feel comfortable without a blanket or something heavy on me. I need a weighted blanket...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 12:08 am

Yes. I like sleeping under heavy blankets and I like having x-rays taken because of the vest I get to wear.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 12:13 am

My mom has often joked about how me and at least one of my brothers sleep in a "cocoon".

None of the other examples apply to me. I hate the way gloves feel, I hate the way shoes feel and I can imagine a scarf would make me itchy. I don't like being restrained or held tightly like happymusic was saying, this just makes me feel claustrophobic.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2010, 12:22 am

Yes, I have a weighted blanket and it's amazing. I can be really flipped out and the instant I'm under my weighted blanket I'm calm. But you seem to have found a way (that I've been searching for!) to achieve something similar when I'm outside the home. Gonna check it out - thanks!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 1:23 am

I love wrapping myself, in blankets, and I want to find myself a green pod blanket, to sleep in.

Skye-Day
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2010, 1:40 am

Pistonhead wrote:
My mom has often joked about how me and at least one of my brothers sleep in a "cocoon".

My mother says the same thing! :D

?There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.?-Oscar Wilde

‎"In the beginning the Univers

vintagedoll
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2010, 4:03 am

That's one of the things I don't like about hot summer weather, it gets uncomfortable then to have my heavy covers on me in bed. I also like to wear lots of clothes.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2010, 4:05 am

vintagedoll wrote:
That's one of the things I don't like about hot summer weather, it gets uncomfortable then to have my heavy covers on me in bed. I also like to wear lots of clothes.

A weighted blanket provides no warmth - mine has polyester pellets for weight - if I want warmth I have to put a real blanket on top.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 4:24 am

http://www.weightedblanket.net/ Weighted Blankets are awesome :D

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2010, 7:15 am

this is interesting i didnt realise this was that common and might explain why i always sleep in a sleeping bag when ever i can

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 7:49 am

i love being wrapped up:)

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 8:05 am

I hate covering up with heavy blankets. I'd rather cover up in a sheet or a light blanket, heat my room, and wear heavy pajamas, even in winter.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2010, 12:04 pm

I love it...apparently, I've always done it. I have a blanket downstairs I use most nights, but sometimes I'll bring down the bigger one from on my bed.

It's been a bit too much in this hot weather though... =/