Is it rare for a person with aspergers to be an INFP?

Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TheMaTrIx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

I score dead on INFJ/INFP on most tests these days, but regularly still get a INTJ score too.

I've been taking MBTI tests every so often, mixing them up, ever since I was diagnosed. My shrink told me that its a nice pointer to see your progression in understanding yourself and understanding your emotional states.

In tests that show affinity results instead of a definitive type, like http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/report/online/
I score 85% INFJ/INFP and 78% INTJ. Yet on some days its 85% INTJ and near 80's for INFP/INFJ, and on those days I generally score higher INFP then INFJ, the later is also how I used to score rather persistently when first diagnosed with aspergers.

I'll likely move further to having INFJ or INFP as my dominant type, or, I'm stuck balancing both.

And I think the high % INTJ classification for Aspies is mostly because some of the INTJ traits are similar to the typical Aspie exaggerations.
In my opinion, often the reasons and needs behind the traits are completely different between an INTJ and Aspie.

I'm fairly certain, that if you take aspergers out of the equation and life experience, the distribution of types for these people will be the same as with neurotypicals.
Its a chicken and egg situation, where I'm on the side of that its not that your personality type (INTJ) makes you more prone to being an aspie if the autism spectrum factors come into play, but that most personality types you may posses will be pushed towards INTJ, because of the autism spectrum traits.

And reason I think why I score higher as INFJ then I did in the past is because I've become more aware of my own feelings, have pushed myself more and more to focus on identifying them in myself and others and its become more part of my instinctive behavior.

camelia
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I'm another INFP. I also score INFJ from time to time.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 2:50 pm

infj +1

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

I am an INFJ. Sometimes (depending on how I read the questions), I will get a P instead. Actually, when I was younger, my F was very strong, but over the past several years, the T and the F have been getting closer, as have the I and E. The N and S have been pretty constant. I may be totally off wit this, but I would guess that those who score J instead of P have more OCD tendencies than the P's.

salo425
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2012, 9:35 pm

I am an INFP but I mistype as INTP every time because of my aspie traits. However, I score high on Fi and low on Ti.

lickcakes
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm

Dnuos wrote:
KissOfMarmaladeSky wrote:
I found another INFP with Aspergers!
It must be pretty rare then...

Even rarer to find another INFP guy with Aspergers. >.> Maybe impossible...

Nope. That's me.
I'm INFP 100% of the time.

(well, assuming I do have AS)

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2012, 11:46 pm

Moog wrote:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt67764.html

According to that poll, it's not common. But maybe it's just that INFPs don't like responding to polls.
Comparing those results (INFP 9%) with this distribution estimate, INFPs may be more common among people with Aspergers than among the general population (INFP 4-5%).

Last edited by BlueAbyss on 26 Dec 2012, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cruella
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm

I should think it be weird for an autistic to be an ENFP or ENFJ, but I've seen a couple of therapists who told me they could see I was and see I was autistic.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:09 am

I'm INTJ. I had no idea it was a more male way of thinking (I'm female) or that it was rare for a female. It's funny because I look very female but have often felt like I think like a man in some ways and in the BEM questionnaire I came out near the centre line between "undifferentiated" and "androgynous" near the masculine side.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

whirlingmind wrote:
I'm INTJ. I had no idea it was a more male way of thinking (I'm female) or that it was rare for a female. It's funny because I look very female but have often felt like I think like a man in some ways and in the BEM questionnaire I came out near the centre line between "undifferentiated" and "androgynous" near the masculine side.
It's not that much more common among males than females.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 9:58 am

GreatSphinx wrote:
I am an INFJ. Sometimes (depending on how I read the questions), I will get a P instead. Actually, when I was younger, my F was very strong, but over the past several years, the T and the F have been getting closer, as have the I and E. The N and S have been pretty constant. I may be totally off wit this, but I would guess that those who score J instead of P have more OCD tendencies than the P's.

Not in my case. I have been diagnosed with OCD and the last time I checked I was INFP. I'm feeling more extroverted lately just like you so I'll have to check again to make sure I'm not more of an ENFP now.

urbanpixie

26 Dec 2012, 10:07 am

I am an INFP.

In my case, I have some inherent Aspie traits but picked up others from my family. My parents and brother are definitely introverted thinkers with a number of AS traits, and for years I tried to relate to them and to the world by following their example of logically thinking about everything. It wasn't really natural for me, so trying to be that way made me very anxious and nervous.

The more I trust my intuitions and feelings, the happier I am.

urbanpixie

26 Dec 2012, 10:11 am

rowingineden wrote:
I think INTJ is pretty much the prototypical Aspy personality, but I myself seem to be an INFP, just not a normal one. The way I look at it is, the INTJ and INFP personalities seem to be "inside out" versions of each other: INTJ - seems harsh, critical, cynical on the outside, actually very optimistic and idealistic on the inside. INFP - seems very idealistic and optimistic on the outside, actually very cynical on the inside. As for me, I confuse people because I have both pragmatic and idealistic qualities, inside and out. It's rather hard to say which is dominant. :o

I find this really interesting. I would say that I am INFP, and actually idealistic and optimistic on the inside and more cynical on the outside. Most of the people I know do seem to be more negative and cynical, and I don't like it when people tell me that I am naive, a cockeyed optimist, or a Pollyanna. I want people to take me seriously, so I hide how idealistic and optimistic I am at times. The more I let my positive optimism show, I think the better people relate to me. It's not the optimism that people relate to as much as the fact that they can sense that I'm being more authentic.

Venusflower67

26 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

I am another INFP

I = 56%
N = 12%
F = 50%
P = 11%

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

urbanpixie wrote:
rowingineden wrote:
I think INTJ is pretty much the prototypical Aspy personality, but I myself seem to be an INFP, just not a normal one. The way I look at it is, the INTJ and INFP personalities seem to be "inside out" versions of each other: INTJ - seems harsh, critical, cynical on the outside, actually very optimistic and idealistic on the inside. INFP - seems very idealistic and optimistic on the outside, actually very cynical on the inside. As for me, I confuse people because I have both pragmatic and idealistic qualities, inside and out. It's rather hard to say which is dominant. :o

I find this really interesting. I would say that I am INFP, and actually idealistic and optimistic on the inside and more cynical on the outside. Most of the people I know do seem to be more negative and cynical, and I don't like it when people tell me that I am naive, a cockeyed optimist, or a Pollyanna. I want people to take me seriously, so I hide how idealistic and optimistic I am at times. The more I let my positive optimism show, I think the better people relate to me. It's not the optimism that people relate to as much as the fact that they can sense that I'm being more authentic.

People tend to treat me as if I'm much younger and more naive than I am.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 10:58 am

GreatSphinx wrote:

This makes a lot of sense to me, since in an INFJ the weakest function is sensing, which has to do with our perception of and relationship to physical reality, which seems to be what being OCD is about in a lot of ways. I also wonder if it has to do with asexuality.

I sometimes test as INFJ (sometimes even as INxx), though my usual preference is INFP (where sensing is the third function, so weak as well, and introverted). There are times when I get into an almost OCD way of dealing with reality. It makes me very squeamish, and pretty much ruined gardening for me.