Is it rare for a person with aspergers to be an INFP?

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2010, 6:58 pm

Kiseki wrote:
I am INFP/INFJ. Most of the INFP description fits me to a T though, like creepily so.

I don't think it is all that rare, especially for females. The INFP description sounds very Aspie female to me.

I'm INFJ, it fits quite well, though I'd be INTJ in some situations.

I've noticed from the polls and postings here that xxFx tends to be females more than males, and xxTx tends to be males more than females. So it's not a gender split, just proportionally more xxFx's are female rather than male, and vice-versa.

But that's just an impression, rather than actual stats.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2010, 7:59 pm

for a while i scored infp and this is the identification i would always respond with. on recent requizzing i am intp.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

Dnuos wrote:
I'm an INFP, or at least it's what I get on average.

I haven't run into too many INFP's here, they're sorta rare, but that's because the F is hard to come by here, I guess. I think it's because the T is more associated with Asperger's/Autism.

I'm an INFP! ^^ I get that result all the time on tests, even the satirical ones! ^^ I found another INFP with Aspergers!

OK, some INFP's can get diagnosed with Asperger's because of Fi, which focuses on values instead of social norms. Some people say they come across as Thinkers at times, but that's my experience ("Oh, I thought you were just too quiet to say anything!" was something I got at a group therapy meeting, or something like that. Heheh).

Hope that helps! ^^

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 4:22 pm

I have always come up as INFP but looking at this site

http://www.socionics.com/main/types.htm

and reading the differences between feeling and thinking I can't say either one describes me completely. Each category has one or two that do apply and others that absolutely do not apply.

Justifine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2010, 5:57 pm

INFP's love polls and social research.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 1:47 pm

Aimless wrote:

and reading the differences between feeling and thinking I can't say either one describes me completely. Each category has one or two that do apply and others that absolutely do not apply.

I don't trust Socionics that well.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2010, 2:05 pm

I've mostly turned up INFP on those tests, and I love taking all kinds of tests (maybe they'll give me SOME idea about how I present or come across to other people, since *I* have no freakin' clue..! !), so I've taken my share of MBTI tests..

Occasionally I get INTP, I can't seem to figure out the difference between thinking and feeling, I've seriously got those two confused, don't even get me stared trying to explain it, I'd just be going 'round in circles...

It would also seem that most AS people would get more results with Sensing as the second letter as opposed to iNtuitive, due to sensory issues, I don't remember the few polls that have been on here, but I think there were more S'es here, than N's.

Personally though I never EVER get Judging, I just don't think I'm able to, at least not before I know someone really well or have a lot of experience or "evidence" to draw on, and that evidence/experience have to be overwhelming...

Anyway, those are my observations... :)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 2:11 pm

KissOfMarmaladeSky wrote:
Aimless wrote:

I don't trust Socionics that well.

I wish I could find it again, but I read a explanation somewhere about thinking vs feeling as it relates to the Myers-Briggs. Feeling doesn't necessarily mean someone who is very emotional but as KissOfMarmaladeSky indicated, makes decisions based on their personal value system rather than the societal norm. That would apply to me as well, as an INFP.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 2:27 pm

I am an INTJ, so...

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 2:48 pm

I found another INFP with Aspergers!
It must be pretty rare then...

Even rarer to find another INFP guy with Aspergers. >.> Maybe impossible...

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm

I was diagnosed with AS and every time I do variants of the Myers-Briggs test, I always come up with INFP. 5-6 years ago, however, I remember fitting the profile of an INTJ quite well. Maybe it's adaptation and change that transformed my personality.,

Then again, many people even doubt I have AS altogether. Maybe I have too much empathy to have it.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

rowingineden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2010, 11:50 pm

I think INTJ is pretty much the prototypical Aspy personality, but I myself seem to be an INFP, just not a normal one. The way I look at it is, the INTJ and INFP personalities seem to be "inside out" versions of each other: INTJ - seems harsh, critical, cynical on the outside, actually very optimistic and idealistic on the inside. INFP - seems very idealistic and optimistic on the outside, actually very cynical on the inside. As for me, I confuse people because I have both pragmatic and idealistic qualities, inside and out. It's rather hard to say which is dominant. :o

rowingineden

06 Sep 2010, 11:52 pm

Dnuos wrote:
I found another INFP with Aspergers!
It must be pretty rare then...

Even rarer to find another INFP guy with Aspergers. >.> Maybe impossible...

INFPs are supposed to be feminine, and Asperger's is largely associated with masculinity.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 1:29 am

Michhsta wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
I am INFP/INFJ. Most of the INFP description fits me to a T though, like creepily so.

I don't think it is all that rare, especially for females. The INFP description sounds very Aspie female to me.

Then I am an anomaly. I am female and strongly INTJ.

Mics

Hehe. We are rare but it's not unheard of. I'm an INTP and I almost always score near 100% for thinking over feeling. I meet some INTJ/P NT women online, it's definitely not common, though.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 1:30 am

Michhsta wrote:
Kiseki wrote:

Then I am an anomaly. I am female and strongly INTJ.

Mics

Hehe. We are rare but it's not unheard of. I'm an INTP and I almost always score near 100% for thinking over feeling. I meet some IxTx NT women online, it's definitely not common, though.

I DO have a strong feeling function though, I think, I just use it rarely. I understand the feelings of others but I wold never let that get in the way of logic, but I do show empathy/compassion when I can see that it's really necessary. I am never insensitive for the sake of it.

TheMaTrIx

20 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

I score dead on INFJ/INFP on most tests these days, but regularly still get a INTJ score too.

I've been taking MBTI tests every so often, mixing them up, ever since I was diagnosed. My shrink told me that its a nice pointer to see your progression in understanding yourself and understanding your emotional states.

In tests that show affinity results instead of a definitive type, like http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/report/online/
I score 85% INFJ/INFP and 78% INTJ. Yet on some days its 85% INTJ and near 80's for INFP/INFJ, and on those days I generally score higher INFP then INFJ, the later is also how I used to score rather persistently when first diagnosed with aspergers.

I'll likely move further to having INFJ or INFP as my dominant type, or, I'm stuck balancing both.

And I think the high % INTJ classification for Aspies is mostly because some of the INTJ traits are similar to the typical Aspie exaggerations.
In my opinion, often the reasons and needs behind the traits are completely different between an INTJ and Aspie.

I'm fairly certain, that if you take aspergers out of the equation and life experience, the distribution of types for these people will be the same as with neurotypicals.
Its a chicken and egg situation, where I'm on the side of that its not that your personality type (INTJ) makes you more prone to being an aspie if the autism spectrum factors come into play, but that most personality types you may posses will be pushed towards INTJ, because of the autism spectrum traits.

And reason I think why I score higher as INFJ then I did in the past is because I've become more aware of my own feelings, have pushed myself more and more to focus on identifying them in myself and others and its become more part of my instinctive behavior.