http://open.salon.com/blog/judy_mandelb ... an_burning

All I can say is...this is despicable.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm

Return of the Dark and Middle Ages anyone? This guy sounds like another dumbass religious nut out to rouse a population through outright stupidity. If we're lucky, he'll say the wrong thing to the wrong people in the wrong place. But, enough of my personal outrage . . . I may not be a religious individual, but apparently, this guy has no idea when it comes to historical ramifications. It's clear he'd rather go through with a witch hunt than seek the supposed enlightenment of his faith. I just hope the Government is watching him like a hawk . . . too many people have done similar things (with respect to religious communities/academies), and most of them are in jail, or dead due to, "Sex with minors," charges, or both. The whole, "Holier than thou art," tend to get people into trouble, yet still so many succumb to it . . . boggles the mind.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 11:05 pm

perhaps there is a poison snake handling fundamentalist church this fellow can join with to complete the church of fools roster. yes sir, let's make them hate us more......just one step closer to ww3....... yee haw.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 2:36 am

Sick f*cks.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 3:59 am

He should read it.

There is no God but God.

All things are the Will of God.

No one can understand the Will of God.

Only through acceptance and submission will you find the Peace of God.

This is the Will of God.

There are only two paths, one leads to paradise, the other to the lake of fire, each will chose their path.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 4:20 am

Yeah, it increasingly feels a little Weimar republicish these days. These embedded social tensions are being stoked by the depression, right wing media pundits, and a lackluster democratic administration. It's funny because Arab hospitality is like the southern variety on steroids.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2010, 4:27 am

I'd burn the part about Lot, as i am pro gay rights. and it is hard to "interpret" some parts as anything other than offensive. yes i know other religions are also bad, i dislike their parts too.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 6:33 am

conundrum wrote:

No more so than muslim churches having Bible bonfires. If that church wants to burn a book that they purchased, then let them do it. In the day of the computer, there can be a trillion electronic copies made in the time it takes for just one to burn. So they really aren't doing anything other than making a statement.

Kjartan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm

One of the gifts of autism is the ability to think logically and be detached from emotion. Therefore, in a sense, we are spared the illogical and bigoted paroxysms of hate which would inspire such a grotesque event. Maybe one of the reasons there are autistic people in the world, is so that there are some of us with the logic and detachment to refute these fools.

This news has inspired me to keep up with my project of reading the Qu'rán, I am up to Surih 11.

I would also add that the American Muslim community has responded to this event with admirable decorum and restraint under difficult circumstances. Some are hosting 'Share the Qu'rán' dinners with neighbors in order to faciliate friendship and discussion about one of the greatest spiritual texts of humanity.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2010, 12:19 pm

Kjartan wrote:
One of the gifts of autism is the ability to think logically and be detached from emotion. Therefore, in a sense, we are spared the illogical and bigoted paroxysms of hate which would inspire such a grotesque event. Maybe one of the reasons there are autistic people in the world, is so that there are some of us with the logic and detachment to refute these fools.

This news has inspired me to keep up with my project of reading the Qu'rán, I am up to Surih 11.

I would also add that the American Muslim community has responded to this event with admirable decorum and restraint under difficult circumstances. Some are hosting 'Share the Qu'rán' dinners with neighbors in order to faciliate friendship and discussion about one of the greatest spiritual texts of humanity.

I'm reading this book at the moment link Great book and I think there is a lot of interesting philosophy and truth in it, but I think if i ever was a Muslim I would have to be a "liberal" one as there are some parts I can't accept all of it. Am interested in how much a Muslim can incoparate Darwin/evolution. Not got to that part yet.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

n4mwd wrote:
conundrum wrote:

No more so than muslim churches having Bible bonfires. If that church wants to burn a book that they purchased, then let them do it. In the day of the computer, there can be a trillion electronic copies made in the time it takes for just one to burn. So they really aren't doing anything other than making a statement.
Just because some extremist Muslims burn the Bible doesn't mean that Christians are justified in burning the Koran. I can't see this making the world a more peaceful place. The only people who have the right to burn the Koran, from my point of view, are disaffected Muslims.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2010, 1:13 pm

or non muslims treated badly by an islamic govt.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 2:24 pm

Kjartan, Mutate, thanks for the info. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:08 am

mgran wrote:
Just because some extremist Muslims burn the Bible doesn't mean that Christians are justified in burning the Koran. I can't see this making the world a more peaceful place. The only people who have the right to burn the Koran, from my point of view, are disaffected Muslims.

Um, so you're saying its OK for muslims to burn the Bible and Koran, but Christians aren't allowed to burn anything? Sounds a bit one sided.

In any event, its just a book. Burning ANY book tends to piss people off because its a form of censorship. Burning the Koran may even have the opposite effect. There are probably a lot of Christians in muslim Countries because of all the Bible Bonfires over there.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:54 am

Another event for me, not to take part in. I'll keep note of that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:16 am

I am thinking about telling all of them to "stop being Christians"--at gunpoint.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!