Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2010, 7:58 pm

I've been feeling pain in my wrist and in the non-finger part of my hand.

It kind of has the same feel as a sprain, but it comes in waves that are around the same time as my heart beat, and I haven't had any injury. I had it for about a week about a week-and-a-half ago, and now it's come back, and it's been around a couple days.

The only suggestion I've gotten on what it might be is carpal tunnel, but I'm too young for it, and the only things I do that could cause it is weed plants, type, and play piano.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2010, 9:13 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:
I've been feeling pain in my wrist and in the non-finger part of my hand.

It kind of has the same feel as a sprain, but it comes in waves that are around the same time as my heart beat, and I haven't had any injury. I had it for about a week about a week-and-a-half ago, and now it's come back, and it's been around a couple days.

The only suggestion I've gotten on what it might be is carpal tunnel, but I'm too young for it, and the only things I do that could cause it is weed plants, type, and play piano.

Top of the wrist or the bottom side? Carpal Tunnel usually manifests on the bottom (palm side). Also, my brother's first wife had carpal tunnel at around 18 or so--she played viola. How often do you practice? Do you use correct hand positioning?

It may also be tendinitis. Would manifest on the non-palm side of the wrist. Hurts like hell. May have some mild swelling at wrist and above. Does not cause tingling in fingers like carpal tunnel. I have tendinitis in both wrists occasionally--the computer doesn't help--and typing or any repetitive motions can cause flair-up.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm

Julia,

Given that you are physically active (I also saw your lifeguarding test thread), I think we are probably looking at a repetitive strain injury. You should, however, see a doctor to ensure that it is not something more serious.

My standard recommendation for patients presenting low-grade injuries of this type is RICE: rest, ice, compression and elevation. A simple brace or an elastic bandage will give your wrist some support while it heals. When you have flareups, try icing it (about 20 minutes with an ice pack, then 20 minutes without. Repeat twice more.) Also, to the extent that you can, see if you can keep the wrist elevated above your heart. (Holding the opposite shoulder would be enough).

An anti-inflammatory (Ibuprofen or Aspirin, if you tolerated them well) is the best option for pain relief. Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol, Paracetamol) is not as effective an anti-inflammatory.

If you continue to have pain at the same level after another week, or if the pain gets worse or more frequent during that time, you should definitely see a doctor.