Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

what web browser do you like best? (& why)
firefox 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
safari 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
explorer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
opera 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
chrome 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
other 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 22

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 2:10 am

PLEASE READ THE POST
incase you can answer my questions re Chrome:

1. i've installed adblock, but can't figure out how to manually block anything. how do i do this, or disable other users' avatars?

2. i'm on a 17" macbook, and the bookmark bar font is miniscule. is there a way to enlarge it? it seems to be the operating system default for all windows, but i can't find any way to change it on the computer after googling, asking a friend who is very mac savvy and calling apple for help. will settle for enlarging it in chrome if possible.

3. any way to get the browser to display the page title (other than on tab, where you can only read the beginning of it)? (those familiar with firefox, the title displays above the navigation window. for ex, wrongplanet.net title is "autism = good")

wish i knew how to design my own web browser .. there is always something i can't stand.
i'd really like to like chrome though, since with multiple tabs open, if one page crashes, the whole browser doesn't crash.

open to other suggestions though.

Last edited by katzefrau on 18 Aug 2010, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2010, 3:36 am

For me, I prefer using Firefox. It's a browser I've used now for a long time and it gives me all i need to access the net, I can change things and add what I want to change its function.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2010, 4:34 am

I use chrome but I'm not savvy enough to tell you exactly why. Things just go better that way. You use Ctrl-H to delete browser memory? I'm afraid that's the only tip I know. But there are some really good computer people here somewhere, I'm sure they'll have something to contribute.

Re tabs - that's the one thing I hate about chrome. I can't remember I've got tabs and I keep doing the dinosaur thing - I click on upper right x and Poof! all my tabs disappear. When I think of all the things my computer asks me if I am sure about, I wish it would ask me that one.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:58 am

Claradoon wrote:
Re tabs - that's the one thing I hate about chrome. I can't remember I've got tabs and I keep doing the dinosaur thing - I click on upper right x and Poof! all my tabs disappear. When I think of all the things my computer asks me if I am sure about, I wish it would ask me that one.

next time you do that, open a new tab (command-t on a mac; sounds like you're on a PC - control-t?) or new window and click on that little arrow icon (third icon on the right .. to right of "google chrome" logo) and make sure "recently closed" is checked. if not, check it. it will say (bottom left among the recent / frequent items) recently closed: 5 tabs (or however many) among other recent items.

also your recently closed items are in the history menu.

so it's annoying that it doesn't double check with you (and no way to force it to, that i can find) but it doesnt really get rid of anything until you clear your browsing history manually.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2010, 8:54 am

Thank you, Katzfrau! I'm so embarrassed - I've been using Ctrl-H (yes, I'm on a PC) to get my history to delete. Why didn't it dawn on me that what I deleted is there? :oops: Ctrl-T gives me websites, Ctrl-H gives me pages. Thank you!

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 3:58 pm

Claradoon wrote:
Thank you, Katzfrau! I'm so embarrassed - I've been using Ctrl-H (yes, I'm on a PC) to get my history to delete. Why didn't it dawn on me that what I deleted is there? :oops: Ctrl-T gives me websites, Ctrl-H gives me pages. Thank you!

don't be embarrassed - i just happened to look around and discover it. 8)

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 4:12 pm

Firefox 4.

NoScript, Firefox Sync and other plugins!

lau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 4:30 pm

SeaMonkey (because I prefer my browser/email/news/editor all in one consistent, small package).

Seattle_Chris
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

I like Chrome because it's small and fast. Also because it will sych between my desktop, laptops, netbooks, and work PC. So I never lose my bookmarks or layout. I'm not sure if I like it or not but it handles images and videos a lot differently than other browsers.

Also it doesn't integrate into your OS or anything. It's pretty simple.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 8:59 am

Seattle_Chris wrote:
I like Chrome because it's small and fast.

I don't know why Chrome has the reputation of being "small," "light," or anything else along those lines. Is it just because it has a minimalistic UI and almost no features? Of all the browsers I have on my system, Chrome is by far the biggest memory hog because it puts every tab in its own process, and besides that allows massive memory leaks in each tab-process. Browsing with Chrome for a while is enough to max out my 4GB of memory and bring my system to a grinding halt.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:53 pm

Orwell wrote:
Seattle_Chris wrote:

I don't know why Chrome has the reputation of being "small," "light," or anything else along those lines. Is it just because it has a minimalistic UI and almost no features? Of all the browsers I have on my system, Chrome is by far the biggest memory hog because it puts every tab in its own process, and besides that allows massive memory leaks in each tab-process. Browsing with Chrome for a while is enough to max out my 4GB of memory and bring my system to a grinding halt.

i have 4 GB of RAM as well. good to know.
i was interested in it because of tabs crashing individually instead of the whole browser crashing, but i guess that explains why.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 3:31 pm

LYNX!

(J/K)

Firefox on Windows. If Safari had that 3-D browsing mode on Windows, i could consider changing because.. well it looks just awesome!

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 3:33 pm

Firefox - Complete with No Script and Ad Block Plus

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 4:23 pm

katzefrau wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Seattle_Chris wrote:

i have 4 GB of RAM as well. good to know.
i was interested in it because of tabs crashing individually instead of the whole browser crashing, but i guess that explains why.

A friend of mine experienced some failure of the tab isolation where one tab would bring down all of Chrome, but they've likely fixed that since. I suppose the memory usage might not be that big a deal if you only have a few tabs open, but I often have dozens of tabs open at a time, and for some reason the version of Chrome on my system leaks memory to the point where I have seen individual tabs taking 500+MB. Obviously that doesn't work very well.

I think Firefox is introducing some form of tab isolation in the near future, so if you're just concerned about the browser crashing then Firefox is going to be more stable soon enough.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 4:57 am

Orwell wrote:
Seattle_Chris wrote:

It's because Google marketed it that way and people blindly accepted it :roll:

Firefox user here, got a cool theme (or are they called "personas" now?) and NoScript for that extra paranoid touch :P

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 5:45 pm

On Linux I use Epiphany. I also sometimes use Lynx for Usenet or for when viewing graphics or multimedia is not necessary. The black background is less hard on the eyes. I use Firefox on Mac and Windows, though I've been thinking of using Chrome. Chrome was recently found to be the fastest browser among the top five, according to PC World.