Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 5:58 am

Does anyone think that Richard Dawkins has an aspie like special interest in attacking religion? It seems thats all he does with his life now.

In Britain they are putting on a new documentary by him. It was advertised on TV last night and made me laugh. It said:

"There is a growing number of religious schools in Britain. And Richard Dawkins is not happy." LOL

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:29 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Does anyone think that Richard Dawkins has an aspie like special interest in attacking religion? It seems thats all he does with his life now.

In Britain they are putting on a new documentary by him. It was advertised on TV last night and made me laugh. It said:

"There is a growing number of religious schools in Britain. And Richard Dawkins is not happy." LOL

Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist by profession. Most of the attacks on the theory of evolution come from religious Christians, hence his hostility to Christianity in particular and religion in general. It is not clear that Dawkins is an Aspie at all.

ruveyn

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:02 am

Richard Dawkins is "attacking" religion because not enough people dare to. What he does is comparable to someone being dedicated to fighting an epidemic. Religion hurts many people. Dawkins sees that, and wants to inform as many people as he can that it's okay, and even healthy, to not have faith. He might not always use the best of methods, but he does help some people get out of their abusive relationships with their imaginary tyrants, and for that I can only applaud him.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:15 am

I do not think he is autistic. He seems like any academic, just one with a few particular passions. A lot of academics are not autistic.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:29 am

Uh no? I don't see it as an "aspie obsession", more of a passion, or something.

What he says makes a lot of sense, and I agree with him on a lot of things but the way he comes across is a bit arrogant I think, but he is still one of my favourite scientists.
By the way, I'm watching that faith schools documentary. I agree with Dawkins on the subject of faith schools, I went to a faith school and I got sick of being hit round the back of the head with a bible (figuratively speaking) in every assembly.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:56 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
A lot of academics are not autistic.

:lol:

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

I don't agree with faith schools I think they hold back inclusion and make groups more seperate and "ghetto". Dawkins does lots with his life about science and darwinsim IE his new book. He has moderate Christian friends he wrote about in a newspaper column.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 12:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist by profession. Most of the attacks on the theory of evolution come from religious Christians, hence his hostility to Christianity in particular and religion in general. It is not clear that Dawkins is an Aspie at all.

ruveyn

I don't reckon he is an aspie at all. I just laughed about the programme he is making. I think he is right too. In Britain we have got so many different faiths crammed into our tiny country. Dividing schools up on faith is such a bad idea. I am glad he does what he does but I wonder if he tires of it.