Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 7:37 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
This reminds of a story I saw on TV the other night.

There was a guy who was a doctor -- or an resident, IIRC. And that involved shifts at the hospital for as long as 39 hours. The trouble was he had epilepsy, and from experience knew that sleep deprivation provoked seizures in him.

Forget the epilepsy angle. They've already proven that the way they push doctors during this phase results in more malpractice issues and deaths of patients. A stupid outdated practice.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 12:55 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think the thing that will keep "pay your dues" from ever going away is that if someone has passed through the gauntlet, they'll feel like it's cheating for anyone else to attain the status gained from that without having gone through it. And since they'll be in a position of greater power (having passed the test) they'll make sure that the system never changes.

Yes, there is a strong psychological factor at play there.

Sometimes it serves a purpose, but not always, and in the example you cited it is actually destructive. There is no good reason doctors are given those crazy shifts.

In my field, I think there is actually a reason for it, because the bulk of the work is seasonal, but that still doesn't explain ALL of the ethos. The psychological factor is definitely involved, as well.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 1:06 pm

Chris McCormack, is that you??? :D