Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

crazy333girl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

Azaria's ghost may finally rest in peace

What do you think about this? I remember when this happened and I was just a child. I don't think they should change the death certificate to say dingo when they still didn't 100% prove it was a dingo. They exenorated Lindy but they never said 100% it was a dingo.
I got in a twitter fight with someone the other night because I said I always wondered if it was one of the boys. This guy on twitter tried to tell me he was going to have me sued for defamation because I had an opinion. What an idiot. An opinion isn't illegal. What does everyone else think? I think it will be one of those mysteries that will never get properly solved until someone (if a human did it) confesses on their death bed or something.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:11 pm

crazy333girl wrote:
Azaria's ghost may finally rest in peace

What do you think about this? I remember when this happened and I was just a child. I don't think they should change the death certificate to say dingo when they still didn't 100% prove it was a dingo. They exenorated Lindy but they never said 100% it was a dingo.
I got in a twitter fight with someone the other night because I said I always wondered if it was one of the boys. This guy on twitter tried to tell me he was going to have me sued for defamation because I had an opinion. What an idiot. An opinion isn't illegal. What does everyone else think? I think it will be one of those mysteries that will never get properly solved until someone (if a human did it) confesses on their death bed or something.

I have to be honest, until I read A Question of Evidence, I didn't have a strong opinion on the matter, although I leaned towards Lindy being innocent. However, after reading A Question of Evidence, I wholeheartedly believe that Lindy Chamberlain and her husband did not have anything to do with Azaria's death, or at least anything that could be rectified without hindsight.

On sabbatical...

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2010, 8:25 pm

There isn't enough evidence Lindy Chamberlain was responsible, but that doesn't mean she's innocent.

crazy333girl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2010, 8:34 pm

I've never read that book but I might see if my library has it. I don't know why I always thought one of the sons was involved but I did. But since I was only 6 when it happened, I guess a lot of my opinion probably came from my parents point of view. It was always weird to me, even on A Current Affair last week that the sons were too emotional to talk about it. To me it seems like a guilty secret but who knows? I totally stink at reading people. Like Sionis said though there wasn't enough evidence Lindy did it, but doesn't mean she's innocent.

That's why I don't think they should change the death certificate to say "death by dingo" or whatever way they would write it. It's not 100% conclusive it was a dingo so they can't write that. It's not a proven fact.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:11 pm

i've had two severe head injuries so my timeline might be screwed up. spent a couple of month in australia long ago and i remember the general attitude was 'mom did it'. the hatred for her, well, you could feel it.

reminds of jon benet ramsey from colorado. the thing is, when i would watch the news, and family photo's would be shown.....it was always the young girl, surrounded by mom and dad, smiling.....while the older brother was in the back, or off to the side....never smiling.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 4:18 am

I remember learning about this case in legal studies.
we were taught the details of the case and
basically people were "baying for blood" ie looking for someone to blame.
The police had ignored some of the evidence eg the evidence of the aboriginal trackers that were bought into help with the investigation.

Lindy got a life sentence purely because the law said it had to be a life sentence if you were convicted of murder
after some years Lindy was let out on compassionate grounds. Then she began to campaign for full exoneration.

From what I can see, this case was not dealt with properly the first time.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 4:12 am

I never did think the mother was guilty and even if she was she should have been sent to a mental hospital rather than prison.