Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm

First question do you ever imagine "worst case scenario?" My (already damaged) knee what if it broke and started gushing blood,hit your head and crack the skull then blood,go blind etc. etc. My second question have you ever been in an ambulance? I can't imagine being tied down and I'm not sure HOW you are tied down. My concern are hands/feet/neck IMO waist find but I NEED movement of my hands and especially my feet (I HATE keeping them straight for MRI's or special scans) I also like being able to move my head how I please. So how is that done? (Plus the tie down+ I.V. needle I HATE NEEDLES!! !! !)

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm

Yes I do. It kinda helps my avoiding the outside world.

I've been in one when I attempted suicide. They had me tied down and pumped charcoal down my nose, because I couldn't stand the puking. It was a very scary experience and process for me.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm

Yes. I used to do it much worse though. I blame (undiagnosed) OCD for the way it used to be, where I would feel like I had to plan out every possible worst case scenario all the time so that it ended up seriously interfering with day to day life.

layenrubber
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

theres all kinds of things to be scared of.. and it doesn't always help to pretend they are not a big deal i know. but sometimes if you just tell your self to get the f over it it helps.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 10:55 pm

I do but not of a scared way to get to do something but more of knowing what to expect will happen. I think its a self esteem issue mostly if i set really low standards i might feel like i succeeded.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm

I have a tendency to think about worst case scenarios, but I don't let my mind spin out of control from it like I used to. Instead, I look at it as a blessing if everything turns out okay.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2010, 11:13 pm

For me, not every possible bad scenario, but simply one at a time that I become concerned with and must plan for, this generally happens a few times in a day, but not for each situation in which it would be "appropriate".

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 1:41 am

I think about worst case scenarios fairly often, and I feel that it helps me figure certain things out involving lifes issues.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 4:01 am

Yes, the worst possible outcome is the one that I usually pick up on first. I used to really take it on board and would get very anxious, as if it were the most likley outcome, but more recently I've calmed down a bit and now I understand that it's usually nothing to worry about. I like to think of it as simply rigorous thinking that will safeguard me from falling into life's elephant traps. But I should focus more on positive outcomes......to effectively avoid pain is good, but to also actively seek pleasure is better.

Probably my best example would be in relating to the opposite sex. It always feels like 99% of my mind is focussing on the dangers of blowing it, of rejection, humiliation and loss. So I find myself seeming uninterested just so I'm covering my back. I imagine that revealing my feelings could make the lady embarrassed and angry, and that she's going to hate me for it and tell everybody what she thinks of me, and they'll shun me as well. Really it would be a lot more appropriate to relegate these morbid thoughts to 5% of my mind, and leave the other 95% free to consider the good signs and the possible rewards. I've made a lot of progress there but still the negative, worst possible outcome haunts me and tries to drag me back into that faint-hearted world.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 4:47 am

Yes i always think worse case scenario. Last year I injured my back and straight away I imagined I was going to be paralysed. It got better after a few weeks. :-)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 4:50 am

Yup, I always do that, my mum hates it.

I've never been in an ambulance but I've had surgery and had to wear one of those gowns, I hated that.

yukari
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2010, 7:40 am

I do it often, but not about myself. I often build complicated plans, to invent reactions for different cases, but it will be good and bad cases in nearly same proportion. But I often think about "worse case scenario" about other people, friends or relatives. Example, when somebody is late, or don't answer on phone calls, I start thinking this person can be dead, or thick, or something else happened, and I cannot stop being anxious until I manage to call and be sure, that all is all right.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 8:06 am

I've been in an ambulance as a patient twice and they didn't tie me down. In fact the first time I just sat on the sort of bench on the side with my sister while my mother lay on the stretcher, and she wasn't tied down. (We had been in a car accident). Ambulances aren't terrible and they don't necessarily put an IV in you. That's usually done at the hospital. If they frighten you, consider looking inside of one and talking to EMTs when they have a fair or community thing where they have a fire truck and ambulance there so kids can look inside. They'd probably be happy to describe what really happens to you.

What you're thinking of as being tied down is really more just like a seat belt. You can still have the range of motion of your arms and turn your body and stuff.

I don't think worst case scenario like you described, though I do have OCD. My unwanted thoughts are more along the lines of making myself or someone else sick, injured, etc.

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

probably not in the same way you do but i use constructive / defensive pessimism all the time as a coping mechanism. it really annoys the think positive friends i've had