Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2010, 12:51 am

hey i was wondering is it possible that i have normal social skills because i know several "NT"s that have worse social skills than me like one girl who announced something very private about her private and i actually felt mortified for her! i would never say anything so innapropriate. i fell half aspie and half nt i have friends and a girlfriend but i am nervous and somewhat awkward also cause im a stoner 8)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 2:42 am

I think someone with AS, who is aware they have social issues, may be more vigilant about social etiquette.

Also, I think sometimes having AS give someone an advantage in some social situations.

I recently shocked my family with my public speaking skills and my sister shortly thereafter decided that I had "outgrown" my AS.

But it's simply a matter of logic. The people I gave the speech to fell into two categories. People I knew, and people I was likely never going to see again.

In a public speaking situation, when you get up in front of a crowd, they expect you to speak to them about a particular topic. So that is what I did. I did exactly what I knew was expected of me.

And last, I really didn't particularly care what anyone might have been thinking of me when I stepped up there.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 3:26 am

Sure there are some NTs with bigger social inadequacies than some Aspies.

Don't know if I'm just bending the definition of social skills to suit my own preferences, but I think one of the worst social gaffes that "normal" people make is their insensitivity towards other people who are struggling.....like at a party where somebody's looking lost, and they'll just get ignored. In a typical group there will be nobody looking out to make sure everybody is included. I cannot understand how they get this so wrong.......I can always spot the ones who are being nosed out of the action, they practically glow in the dark to me.

Ofaelan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2010, 4:57 am

Or as I like to put it, "And they call *us* autistic!" :twisted:

Seriously, what this may reflect ISTM is that we may be attuned to "the rules" and more "conscious" of them than NTs ... kind of like someone who plays piano "by ear" but can't read music. Playing by ear isn't necessarily a prodigy, but may just be someone with a gift, but relatively limited, whereas reading music takes longer to learn, but given enough time, "the sky's the limit" as to prospects.

Though what do I know?! ! :wink:

---Pete

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 6:14 am

Since different aspies have different traits of it, some aspies may have great social skills and some NT's are just shy and quiet.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 2:19 pm

I stand before you to testify - being NT does NOT mean physically, mentally or spiritually healthy.

I could name names.