Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:38 am

RedHanrahan wrote:
Orwell wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
The common understanding most Muslims agree with as a translation for 'Islam' is 'peace'.
As it is attached in it's cultural environment to a religious movement and/or spirituality the idea of 'spiritual' peace is most fitting.
Salam Alekum [peace be with you] Alekum Salam [and also with you]

Islam does not translate as "peace." Arabic has a word for peace and it is Salaam. Islam means submission (to God) and Muslims (Muslim= one who submits (to God)) argue that this submission brings them spiritual peace.

Thanks for the clarification, the Muslims I know claim a connection between the words however

peace j

It's a common misconception for some reason, but I have no idea why a Muslim would make that mistake. In Arabic, the word Islam does not mean peace, period. Learning Arabic (so as to read the Qur'an) is a religious duty of all Muslims, so unless they were trying to mislead that kind of mistake is pretty surprising. Although, given my experience with Muslims, I would not be at all surprised if they were attempting to mislead. It would fit in with their evangelical style.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:57 am

Orwell wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
Orwell wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:
The common understanding most Muslims agree with as a translation for 'Islam' is 'peace'.
As it is attached in it's cultural environment to a religious movement and/or spirituality the idea of 'spiritual' peace is most fitting.

Islam does not translate as "peace." Arabic has a word for peace and it is Salaam. Islam means submission (to God) and Muslims (Muslim= one who submits (to God)) argue that this submission brings them spiritual peace.

Thanks for the clarification, the Muslims I know claim a connection between the words however

peace j

It's a common misconception for some reason, but I have no idea why a Muslim would make that mistake. In Arabic, the word Islam does not mean peace, period. Learning Arabic (so as to read the Qur'an) is a religious duty of all Muslims, so unless they were trying to mislead that kind of mistake is pretty surprising. Although, given my experience with Muslims, I would not be at all surprised if they were attempting to mislead. It would fit in with their evangelical style.

The key concept is taqiyya (as transliterated from Arabic). It means deception and in the context of Islam, Holy Deception. Lying is not only permitted, it is required for dealing with the enemies of the Ummah.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 8:32 am

ruveyn wrote:
The key concept is taqiyya (as transliterated from Arabic). It means deception and in the context of Islam, Holy Deception. Lying is not only permitted, it is required for dealing with the enemies of the Ummah.

ruveyn

I'm not referring to enemies though. This is how they act towards potential converts. A constant game of shifting definitions and misleading claims. Not always outright lies perhaps, but certainly distortions, misrepresentations, and one-sided presentations.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 9:19 am

Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I'm not referring to enemies though. This is how they act towards potential converts. A constant game of shifting definitions and misleading claims. Not always outright lies perhaps, but certainly distortions, misrepresentations, and one-sided presentations.

Potential converts who are not believers are clearly on the path of perdition. So lying to them to get them to convert is not only permitted but encourages. Non-believers are not considered in a neutral manner by enthusiastic Muslims.

If a non-believer converts then al hamdu l'illah! If he doesn't then he is to be slain unless he already has a Book, such as Jews and some Christians. In which case dhimmi status is extended to him.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 9:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
If a non-believer converts then al hamdu l'illah! If he doesn't then he is to be slain unless he already has a Book, such as Jews and some Christians. In which case dhimmi status is extended to him.

ruveyn

Jews and Christians who refuse to accept Islam can still be labeled as kafir, or "one who covers up (the (obvious) truth(of Islam))" by some variety of Muslims.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 8:28 am

RedHanrahan wrote:
Orwell wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

peace j

Several times Ive heard the word "Islam" translated as "surrender".

If you think of it that way than it is no different from those Protestant Evangelical bumper stickers you see in the US that say "Let Go. Let God".

That is:Dont cling to your own ego. let God run your life.

American protestants take four words to say what muslims say in one word!
Lol!
Hardly a difficult concept!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 10:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Lol!

An easy concept and a very bad idea.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 8:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Lol!

An easy concept and a very bad idea.

ruveyn

Good or bad its amusing how all these Christians are either baffled or repelled by their own beliefs when those beliefs are echoed in a foriegn religion!