Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Solid_Snake12345
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2010, 5:42 pm

I'll only eat mashed/roast potatoes (if they are cooked properly, if not I'll dump them), croquets, meat (beef, steak, chicken, lamb and pork but they have to be cooked correct) bread (any type from white bread to baguettes to croisants as long as there is no seeds or filling, butter being the exception) and pepperoni pizzas. No deserts except strawberry pavlova and fresh (homemade) pancakes. No sweets/ice cream except Chocolate Finger Biscuits, Chocolate M&Ms (only at the cinema), Twister Ice Creams (only in Spain) and Malteasers Ice Creams.

If that wasn't enough I'll only drink tea and water.

I want to like other food, but I'm just not able to.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 9:35 pm

I'm a picky eater. If it's something I really hate I'll gag while I try to eat it.
I don't like accepting invitations to people's homes for dinner unless it's mentioned what they're' having, not that I get that many invitations.

Galt1957
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2010, 10:48 pm

Raptor wrote:
I'm a picky eater. If it's something I really hate I'll gag while I try to eat it.
I don't like accepting invitations to people's homes for dinner unless it's mentioned what they're' having, not that I get that many invitations.
Yeah, I always get nervous when I have to go somewhere that is going to serve food, in case I don't like what they have.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

Like many of the people here I find it almost impossible to tolerate certain textures, mostly the kinds found in vegetables, like onions. The "scratchy" feeling they give off provokes the same reaction in me as normal people get from nails running down a chalk board. On top of that I've also been extremely reluctant to try anything new except on very rare occasions (I was mortified by the idea of eating cheese on pasta until I was about 8 years old, and always ate it completely plain until then, yuck) So most of my life I've had an extremely limited diet, consisting almost exclusively of very simple pizzas, macaroni cheese, and occasional bursts of chicken, ham, and eggs. Really, not much else at all.

No matter who tried to convince me to eat all the weird crap that everyone else was eating, I never would. Even while my parent was screaming and hitting me and literally trying to shove burnt potatoes down my throat by force, I just couldn't do it. Eventually they just gave up and I've been eating the same few things over and over ever since.

Lately though I have been really trying to expand the variety of foods that I can eat, on my own. Surprisingly not because of any health concerns or anything like that, I'm just trying to experiment in overcoming the limitations I have in various areas of my life, even if it is unpleasant, in fact mostly only when it is unpleasant, and adding new foods onto the agenda of things to overcome seemed like a good idea. The more experience you gain in things like that, even just relatively small things like eating a food you thought you could never eat, the more your perspective of what is and is not possible starts to change, in other areas which you might not have expected.

Things like spaghetti bolognase with mysterious pulped meat and onions in the sauce, cheap flavoured instant noodle meals which smell revolting for hours, canned raviolis with bland tasteless cow parts hidden inside, creepy sludgey soups with god knows what kind of horrific vegetables lurking beneath the surface... Out of all of the things I've tried so far, no, none of them were particularly great and I'd still prefer to never eat them again. (What were you expecting? :lol: ) But at least now I know that if I'm ever in a situation where I don't want to appear like a completely deranged and childish aspie, and want to try to "blend in" at least a little more than usual during a meal with other people for whatever reason, then I will be able to do that. We generally don't think of how our fussyness might look to others, but it has more of an impact than you might imagine, and although most of the time it doesn't matter what they think, sometimes, depending on the circumstances, it can.

I have learned a few things. It turns out that some things are more important than trying to completely avoid all discomfort, even if it's intense. It turns out that the things with nasty textures can sometimes be swallowed without really chewing. And it turns out that sometimes "being a man" isn't just about standing on your own two feet in the world, and not letting other people drag you down, but it's also about not being defeated by something as simple as an onion either. :lol:

It'd be pretty hard for someone to enslave the NT's and take over the world if they couldn't even dominate an onion.

Uh... Save... I mean save the NT's. And protect the world. Of course. :?

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2010, 7:03 pm

I can't tell you how much I dislike my parents always complaining that I'm picky on foods and should have a diverse diet, even though I don't have a weight problem. I can eat meat sometimes (Ham and Chicken) and vegetables but usually my everyday food will be Waffles, PP&J, and Macaroni. I'll get there someday.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

Me. I can count on my two hands the types of food I will eat.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

I eat a very narrow range of foods. Luckily, I like milk and fruit juices, so I can stay relatively healthy.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

Oren wrote:
I eat a very narrow range of foods. Luckily, I like milk and fruit juices, so I can stay relatively healthy.

Same here. I like milk a lot though :)

Alex_M
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2010, 8:59 pm

For sure. There's a very narrow range of foods I will eat, and they tend to fall into the fast food/preserved variety:

-McDonald's, Subway, Pizza Hut, similar fast food places; and frozen/instant foods which mimic these (pizza pops, fish sticks, beef patties, shepherd's pie)
-foods based on pasta and/or tomato sauce (e.g. Heinz Zoodles; lasagna; rice; spaghetti & meatballs; beef, chicken, turkey pork as long as there's ketchup involved)
-odd foods I "invent" myself like instant mashed potatoes mixed with ketchup (I eat this almost every night before bed without fail)

There are also foods that I refuse to eat and/or which make me feel nauseous just to smell if someone in the room is eating them: egg salad, broccoli, tomatoes, sour cream, anything raw (who could eat something RARE?!?),

The aversion to certain foods and tastes has always been considered genetic in my family, as my dad has similarly restricted tastes to me; he loves some of the things I hate but hates some of the things I love.