Do you want to be 'cured' of Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 1 of 12 [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Evan7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2010, 11:02 am

There really isn't really a cure for Asperger's syndrome, I know, but let's pretend there's a pill that would rid you of it. Would you want to be cured? I ask this mainly because I've come to terms with Asperger's Syndrome, and I'm more or less comfortable with the issue. Maybe it's to the point that I use Asperger's as a crutch. I suppose my biggest problem with this 'disorder' is with social issues (making and maintaining friendly/romantic relationships, etc) and I'd like to see that change. Maybe one of the traits of having AS is the reluctance to change.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

I've never had a problem accepting my AS at all, and I'm happy being who I am. I have absolutely no wish to be cured at all, I'd rather take a shot to the head than a pill in my throat that'd "cure" me.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:14 am

Yes i would.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2010, 11:20 am

At age 43, I have spent my lifetime adjusting to AS, and I'm (by the grace of God) happy, happily married, and doing OK in the business world. So my answer is No. To meddle with my Aspergers ways & means at this point, would likely undo much progress, and there isn't anything I want in life that I can't have with AS.

Charles

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:35 am

No. It's part of who I am. It'd be like saying I wanted to be cured of having a liver or being five feet, three inches tall, or something.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:50 am

At the moment, I'm not sure.

When difficulties with Asperger's led to me getting Depression and all that mess, which still bites back at me, I don't know.

I don't like the idea of "everything going away" via a cure in present time. I just wish I wasn't born with this, or ADHD. I know 'normal' is a subjective term, but I wish I could fit in without being rejected. I was alone a lot of the time, not by my own desire, but because no one accepted me, and this in itself hurt me.

I'm also stupid enough to keep comparing myself to others. If that one thing was gone, then maybe I'd be more content with Asperger's Syndrome. Self-acceptance. Rawr.

Besides that, I still haven't seen the positives of having it.

I still have to convince myself that being bullied, isolated from others, and a few family issues, that none of it's my fault.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:59 am

lolno, Self-Hatred is bad Hmm'kay?

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2010, 12:05 pm

No, I'm fine the way I am.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm

No - because a "cure" would mean I'd become a completely different person - sometimes it can be hard having it, but it's part of who I am - and besides it's not like not having AS would give you a problem-free life, NTs have all sorts of problems and issues.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm

Celoneth wrote:
No - because a "cure" would mean I'd become a completely different person - sometimes it can be hard having it, but it's part of who I am - and besides it's not like not having AS would give you a problem-free life, NTs have all sorts of problems and issues.

You just summed it up perfectly.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2010, 12:21 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I've never had a problem accepting my AS at all, and I'm happy being who I am. I have absolutely no wish to be cured at all, I'd rather take a shot to the head than a pill in my throat that'd "cure" me.

Agreed.

As well as that, in my eyes, some of the biggest jerks and idiots (idiots in reference to lack of intelligence more than as a general insult) I've ever known were/are NTs. I see my Aspergers as a gift rather than a curse because, unlike them, I have a sense of caution (albeit, a "paranoia" of sorts, but it has rarely led me astray), I don't see blatant dishonesty or forms of trickery as being a part of "social interaction", I believe I have more sympathy/empathy than all the NTs I've ever met (...Which is, strangely, quite contradictory to the definition of Aspergers Syndrome), I have the joyous feeling of having a Special interest (Where would we be without it? :P ), I am the most pedantic person I've ever met (which I love) and pay most attention to looking good in the public eye (in comparison to my parents, who would happily show me and themselves up if they had the chance... :roll: ), I'm more mature than most my age, I spend my spare time researching up random stuff of interest on Google (Anyone heard of Bartitsu? :P ) and, thus, am very intelligible for someone my age, I am open-minded, yet can be slightly prejudice, at the same time (For example, when I think of "chavs", I think of them as ruthless, sadistic creatures of hate. On the otherhand, if they were to communicate with me, I wouldn't condemn them as the individual until they have wronged me) etc.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:26 pm

Etular wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Agreed.

As well as that, in my eyes, some of the biggest jerks and idiots (idiots in reference to lack of intelligence more than as a general insult) I've ever known were/are NTs. I see my Aspergers as a gift rather than a curse because, unlike them, I have a sense of caution (albeit, a "paranoia" of sorts, but it has rarely led me astray), I don't see blatant dishonesty or forms of trickery as being a part of "social interaction", I believe I have more sympathy/empathy than all the NTs I've ever met (...Which is, strangely, quite contradictory to the definition of Aspergers Syndrome), I have the joyous feeling of having a Special interest (Where would we be without it? :P ), I am the most pedantic person I've ever met (which I love) and pay most attention to looking good in the public eye (in comparison to my parents, who would happily show me and themselves up if they had the chance... :roll: ), I'm more mature than most my age, I spend my spare time researching up random stuff of interest on Google (Anyone heard of Bartitsu? :P ) and, thus, am very intelligible for someone my age, I am open-minded, yet can be slightly prejudice, at the same time (For example, when I think of "chavs", I think of them as ruthless, sadistic creatures of hate. On the otherhand, if they were to communicate with me, I wouldn't condemn them as the individual until they have wronged me) etc.

I can pretty much relate to all of that, too.

NT teenager: spends all day loitering, getting drunk, taking drugs, causing trouble
Aspie teenager: spends all day learning new things, doing interesting thing he/she is passionate about, and is mature

I can tell you from a first hand experience that the large majority of NT teenagers are utter idiots. The sad thing is, they probably have the potential to be smart, it's just that they waste it by giving in to peer pressure.

So, yes, once again, I am glad I'm an Aspie, and I do not want a cure.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:30 pm

well if being stupid is the key to happiness i guess i better grab that bottle of vodka i have around

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm

MXH wrote:
well if being stupid is the key to happiness i guess i better grab that bottle of vodka i have around

When did I mention happiness? They aren't happy. They're always complaining and getting angry. They seem to have lots of anger, actually.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
MXH wrote:

When did I mention happiness? They aren't happy. They're always complaining and getting angry. They seem to have lots of anger, actually.

The ones i know are happier than i am currently.