Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2010, 7:34 am

I got something similar from a conciliagaasu:

I saw your nice profile at www.wrongplanet.net,and something motivated me to communicate with you i found you worthy of acceptance and godly,My Dear in your usual time may it pleases you to write me back in email address DELETED So that i can send you my pictures and also tell you more about myself . A friendship is the foundation build on other relative things to come.May God bless you as i wait impatiently to hear from you. Your lonely friend,
Concilia.

I have not been able to find a single post by this person.

Google search reveals that this is most likely a known spammer. Perhaps admin can look into it if they have not already done so.

http://www.google.nl/search?q=conciliag ... =firefox-a

What beyond reality

jec6613
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2010, 9:36 am

anxiety25 wrote:
lol, it doesn't, but it does send a message directly from someone's comp addy. I'm not positive about it through IMs, I do know it happens via e-mail.

So I can't be 100% sure, but personally I wouldn't just because I'm not sure how that works through private messages, especially when it's through a server just as this.

I'm probably just more paranoid though, because I've seen people pop up in chat rooms and such offering to sell american credit card numbers, pin numbers, addresses and fake IDs and such as that all in one bundle! What a deal, lol. It creeps me out when it comes to phishing because I don't truly know how it works.... just some details of it I know, but not the whole deal.

When you send a reply e-mail to the spammer, they now know two pieces of information: your MX header information (usually useless unless you run your own mail server) and that there's a live person on the other end (useful).

When you reply from private messaging system, the MX header information is usually nonexistant and the only information is username, subject and message.

The fact that there is a live person on the other end is an invitation to more spam messages, and they will do so. This is why you shouldn't reply, even though it is quite satisfying. I once conversed with a 419 spammer for three or four messages before I got bored. :wink:

In general, spammers use poor spelling and grammar and they are from people you've never heard of before and appear to have no community involvement. Also, their e-mail or IM addresses are often jibberish or suggestive.