Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:09 pm

Yeah just delete them. And I agree with League_girl, it might be a good idea to have had to have posted a certain number of times before people could PM.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:30 pm

I just got one, from someone who wants to go into the chat room. I've had a bad experience, with the chat room, here.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:05 am

happymusic wrote:
Yeah just delete them. And I agree with League_girl, it might be a good idea to have had to have posted a certain number of times before people could PM.

Yeah, lots of forums do that, and they stop people posting links until they have a certain amount of posts, too.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:07 am

I've never gotten a PM like this. I feel so unloved :cry:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:31 am

StuartN wrote:
I don't know if this is a problem, as this is a first for me, but I have just received an invitation by private message to communicate by email, with an offer to enclose pictures.

The poster has sent precisely zero messages on the forum, but is "interested in love".

I got the same one, sent the day AFTER 'she' joined WP, zero posts, kinda creepy.

Wonder if people actually respond to these 8O

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm

Bye bye babyb topic

Babyb was banned. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm

Peko wrote:
Yeah, mine was from babyb as well...

This has gotten me wondering what's the difference between phishing and trolling? :?

Phishing is an abuse of trust to gain things like credit card details or information which can be used to steal someone's identity for fraudulent purposes.

Trolling is intentionally trying to piss someone off or otherwise hurt their feelings, by doing things like intentionally presenting ideas that a person knows will cause controversy and dispute (strictly for the purpose of causing these things, not just in a roundabout way or unintentionally), or misleading someone with the pretense that they share personal interests or something, to lead them to "open up" before making a fool of them for their beliefs or interests.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:15 pm

blue_bean wrote:
I've never gotten a PM like this. I feel so unloved :cry:

everyone send bluebean a naughty pic

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm

StuartN wrote:
I don't know if this is a problem, as this is a first for me, but I have just received an invitation by private message to communicate by email, with an offer to enclose pictures.

The poster has sent precisely zero messages on the forum, but is "interested in love".

I would send a suggestive message back. Something like:

I suggest you go f**k yourself.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

StuartN wrote:
The poster has sent precisely zero messages on the forum.

That is your tip off on what to do: never respond to anyone for any reason who has never posted publicly.

Anyone with sincere intentions will start by posting, not by pm'ing.

As LeagueGirl noted, we need to suspend pm privileges until a certain number of posts have been made, but I do not know if our software can do that.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:25 pm

ZachL wrote:
StuartN wrote:

NEVER message them back when it comes to phishing. They get all kinds of information that way. We have some phishers going around in WoW and e-mailing people... it looks VERY official, until the account gets hacked and you have a huge credit card bill later on. They are always putting up message alerts on the forums or when you log into game, saying never to respond to any of it.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:26 pm

Surfman wrote:
i got one from a babyb no posts, joined 2 days ago

i got one from a babyb too

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2010, 12:38 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
ZachL wrote:
StuartN wrote:

NEVER message them back when it comes to phishing. They get all kinds of information that way. We have some phishers going around in WoW and e-mailing people... it looks VERY official, until the account gets hacked and you have a huge credit card bill later on. They are always putting up message alerts on the forums or when you log into game, saying never to respond to any of it.

Yea because telling someone to f**k themselves is going to give out your password, bank account, favorite pizza, and your mothers maiden name. Seriously.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm

ZachL wrote:
anxiety25 wrote:
ZachL wrote:
StuartN wrote:

Yea because telling someone to f**k themselves is going to give out your password, bank account, favorite pizza, and your mothers maiden name. Seriously.

lol, it doesn't, but it does send a message directly from someone's comp addy. I'm not positive about it through IMs, I do know it happens via e-mail.

So I can't be 100% sure, but personally I wouldn't just because I'm not sure how that works through private messages, especially when it's through a server just as this.

I'm probably just more paranoid though, because I've seen people pop up in chat rooms and such offering to sell american credit card numbers, pin numbers, addresses and fake IDs and such as that all in one bundle! What a deal, lol. It creeps me out when it comes to phishing because I don't truly know how it works.... just some details of it I know, but not the whole deal.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2010, 1:02 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
ZachL wrote:
anxiety25 wrote:
ZachL wrote:
StuartN wrote:

lol, it doesn't, but it does send a message directly from someone's comp addy. I'm not positive about it through IMs, I do know it happens via e-mail.

So I can't be 100% sure, but personally I wouldn't just because I'm not sure how that works through private messages, especially when it's through a server just as this.

I'm probably just more paranoid though, because I've seen people pop up in chat rooms and such offering to sell american credit card numbers, pin numbers, addresses and fake IDs and such as that all in one bundle! What a deal, lol. It creeps me out when it comes to phishing because I don't truly know how it works.... just some details of it I know, but not the whole deal.

Phishing works by tricking the person into giving you the information by either pretending to be someone else or creating a fake login page.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

Invader wrote:
Peko wrote:
Yeah, mine was from babyb as well...

This has gotten me wondering what's the difference between phishing and trolling? :?

Phishing is an abuse of trust to gain things like credit card details or information which can be used to steal someone's identity for fraudulent purposes.

Trolling is intentionally trying to piss someone off or otherwise hurt their feelings, by doing things like intentionally presenting ideas that a person knows will cause controversy and dispute (strictly for the purpose of causing these things, not just in a roundabout way or unintentionally), or misleading someone with the pretense that they share personal interests or something, to lead them to "open up" before making a fool of them for their beliefs or interests.

So in that case someone from another forum trolled me by pretending to be my friend just so he can try and get naked pictures out of me. But when I said no and I hope he isn't one of those men who begs for them because I block them I never heard from him again. Go figure. Talk about attempted manipulation. I would say he did manipulate me because he played me on and probably faked his interests and pretended to be interested in aspie women all of a sudden.