Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 9:25 pm

My head itched CONSTANTALY as a child. I caught lice once at school (*adds another con to public school*) but was constantly suspected of having lice because my head was constantly itching. I would purposely pull and cut my hair to stop the itching, my mom tried to explain that it was the skin, not the hair that was itching, but I was removing my hair to make it easier to scratch. The rest of my body was always constantly itching. I got poison Ivy every summer (it was also a good bully deterrent because one of my bullies was severely allergic to it and whenever she teased me, I would scratch my poison Ivy and then reach for her face. Never had a problem with her again) Anyway, I would often rip my skin up trying to rid myself of the itching. It's a miracle I don't have any scars from it or any scars from chicken pox. I don't remember being driven insane by the itching from chicken pox but I didn't have it that bad. Mosquitoes love me. I often take an exacto knife and slice open the bites so the chemical from the mosquito proboscis gets drained. I can't take the itching at all and anti itch creams only make it itchier. My worst bout of poison Ivy was probably do to me making the dogs scratch it. I would shine their laser mouse on it and their claws would run down my legs and relieve the itch. I didn't care if it got infected (which I think it did), I just wanted the itching to stop. I would even take the dogs' paws in my hand and run it down my itchy leg. I did this with cat claws as well, I knew I was taking a risk and could potentially catch toxoplasmosis, but I'd rather have that than the itching. I would even purposely annoy the cat just so he would scratch me. For me, the sensation of an itch is worse than the sensation of pain. I can usually block out pain and other deep sensations, but not light sensations such as touch.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 9:30 pm

For me itching is worse then pain. My arms and hands are pitted with scars from scratched open bug bites, and my crotch needs near constant scratching at times because of jock itch.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 9:34 pm

Have you spoken to a doctor about this? It sounds like a histamine problem (aka allergies ~ caused by who knows what or how many things). I get this too, but it didn't really start badly until I was thirty five (fifteen years ago). I nearly went into anaphylactic shock one day. After an adrenalin shot, and taking a strong antihistamine for a day or so, it finally went away after a week of it from head to toe.

You don't want to mess around with that kind of thing. It can get much worse over time, and if it is allergies, can develop into much worse things, some of which can kill you.

I still itch a lot, but I don't break out in full blown hives very often anymore. When I had that bout in '95 I had hives over every inch of my body. It was so bad I was vomiting.

Do you actually get hives? If it's bad enough you're cutting open mosquito bites, that's serious.

Get that looked at man. Seriously.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

My body is always itching. I try to ignore it. One time, I drank a hemp infused energy drink, and I was scratching, for days.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:01 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Have you spoken to a doctor about this? It sounds like a histamine problem (aka allergies ~ caused by who knows what or how many things). I get this too, but it didn't really start badly until I was thirty five (fifteen years ago). I nearly went into anaphylactic shock one day. After an adrenalin shot, and taking a strong antihistamine for a day or so, it finally went away after a week of it from head to toe.

You don't want to mess around with that kind of thing. It can get much worse over time, and if it is allergies, can develop into much worse things, some of which can kill you.

I still itch a lot, but I don't break out in full blown hives very often anymore. When I had that bout in '95 I had hives over every inch of my body. It was so bad I was vomiting.

Do you actually get hives? If it's bad enough you're cutting open mosquito bites, that's serious.

Get that looked at man. Seriously.

I've been this way since I was a kid. I've given up asking doctors becuase they either don't understand what I am talking about or think it's because of the autism. I don't know if I get hives becuase I don't really know what hives are.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 12:17 am

I constantly itch all over my body. My head especially even though it feels like my hair is itching. It keeps me up at night and no anti itch medicine helps and the anti allergy meds don't help either. I think it is psychological for me. Sometimes it gets so severe it feels like bugs are crawling all over my body. I hate being itchy. It has lasted constantly for a year now. On and off for many years. It is interesting that someone else is going through the same thing.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 12:20 am

I was always breaking out in hives , on my arms and under my neck, has so many sensitivities as a child

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 1:16 am

If it's particularly your scalp that's bothering you, you can get special shampoo that deals with it. I know because I have the same problem. I get it on prescription from my doctor. You wash your hair like normal, then put this stuff on, rub it into the scalp and then wait 10 minutes. The soothing effect is instant. The active ingredient is Ketoconazole. I believe you can buy shampoos containing it over the counter, but the prescription stuff is stronger.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 1:30 am

there is an alcohol based cortisone lotion that works great

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 3:53 am

i have refrained from saying so in previous posts on the topic but i thought of suicide at one point because of the itching. hives, bug sensation someone else mentioned. (just wrote about this on the skin sensitivities thread)

if it's allergy based, i can't figure out what it is. i think just nervous system or histamines gone haywire. i sometimes wonder if i'm allergic to my own skin.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2010, 11:14 am

My crotch is getting itchier and needs more scratching by the day. I have pills to reverse this, but I can't take them too often in case they mess up my liver.