Page 9 of 9 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

CyborgUprising wrote:
P.S. I'm still trying to logically reconcile the fact that some schools allow Sikhs to wear the kirpan in school, yet expel students for bringing a Boy Scout pocket knife on accident or nail clippers. The Kirpan is a freaking dagger! "No weapons" means "no weapons." Period/ Full-stop (as you fellas across the puddle say).

Kirpans, at least those worn in schools in this country, are typically fixed permanently in the sheath.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:26 am

While I understand the whole "complying with dress code" thing, what makes me mad about the girl not being able to wear her hijab is the fact that it's Disney telling her to not to wear it. Disney is supposed to be all about teaching kids about acceptance of other cultures and people's differences. If Aladdin were more realistic of Muslim women, Jasmine would be wearing traditional Muslim attire all throughout Agrabah, not her skimpy, revealing outfit we're accustomed to seeing her wear. :roll:

Nash: Is there a difference?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 2:13 am

daspie wrote:
No, the moral of the story is that don't employ a conservative Muslim to work in such flashy places and since you cannot make out conservative from the rest, therefore don't employ muslims in such places at all.

Wow - you're off at the deep end with this one.

Not necessarily - all it means is that all items of clothing that are considered cultural/religious or simply a nuisance shouldn't be allowed at contract stage and that people who can't accept having to take off their bags over their heads or their huge Christian crosses or their idiotic haircut. An organisation like this should have rules banning headgear, religious garments, excessive piercings and visible tattoos (they wouldn't want a female skinhead with neo-Nazi tattoos working there), and all the rest.

Basically, the rules should be set down so that all know where they stand. If religiously "conservative" Muslims or anyone else doesn't like it, it's their problem, not the company's.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 2:15 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
If Aladdin were more realistic of Muslim women, Jasmine would be wearing traditional Muslim attire all throughout Agrabah, not her skimpy, revealing outfit we're accustomed to seeing her wear. :roll:

If Islamic fundamentalists had their way, there wouldn't be an Aladdin play. It is un-Islamic and infidel. Allahu akbar.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

mds_02 wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:
P.S. I'm still trying to logically reconcile the fact that some schools allow Sikhs to wear the kirpan in school, yet expel students for bringing a Boy Scout pocket knife on accident or nail clippers. The Kirpan is a freaking dagger! "No weapons" means "no weapons." Period/ Full-stop (as you fellas across the puddle say).

Kirpans, at least those worn in schools in this country, are typically fixed permanently in the sheath.

Typically, but not always. When they are fixed (or otherwise rendered "harmless"), it isn't a big problem. The problem I have is when they aren't (reminds me of the issues they had regarding people dressed as Samurai or Anime characters playing with their swords at ComicCon). I saw on more than one occasion when people were carrying them and unsheathing them in public facilities with the "no weapons" signs posted on the doors.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

The young lady knew Disney Company's focus on illusion before she ever applied for a job.
She knew that Disney theme parks are creating little 'worlds' to entertain the public; these parks offer a break from real life.
She had a successful interview, wherein the company's goals were outlined.
She worked there, apparently competently, for years.
SHE changed, not the company, not the rules.
Whatever religion or philosophy one chooses to follow that makes former behavior not possible, it is the individual's responsibility to find a way to live according to her new views.
There is no reason to expect any organization or individual to change long-standing rules to accommodate the (apparently) optional observances of one member of only one of hundreds of religious faiths in our world.
I am in a Taco Bell, by the way, across from the 'Umi Learning Center', a Muslim education and community center that fits in very well here. 99.9% of women and girls there wear the full-length coverings (burka?); no one around here is critical of their center, their attire, or their faith.

Sylkat

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Whatever religion or philosophy one chooses to follow that makes former behavior not possible, it is the individual's responsibility to find a way to live according to her new views.

Other people must always bend to the will of Islam and Allah, not the other way round. It's a problem that's mainly found in Islam in the modern era, but isn't unheard of elsewhere. Once you start making exceptions for one religion, you start having to make special cases for all of them.

The woman wants special treatment, simple as that. I dearly hope she is told to stick her obnoxious "beliefs" where the sun don't shine, in much the same way as anyone else wanting to impose their views on others would be. She has to reconcile her beliefs with her professional role, in much the same that other people do. If she can't do that, she's in the wrong job.

Sylkat wrote:
I am in a Taco Bell, by the way, across from the 'Umi Learning Center', a Muslim education and community center that fits in very well here. 99.9% of women and girls there wear the full-length coverings (burka?); no one around here is critical of their center, their attire, or their faith.

The horrible black thing? Abaya and niqab.

Perhaps because they know full well they will get all manner of accusations, insults, threats or violence if they do? It's definitely the case here. Anything or anyone that criticises Islam or the behaviour of its adherents is 'Islamophobic' or 'nothing to do with Islam' here (yes, terrorism and mass murder is nothing to do with scripture, even when Islamist terrorists can provably quote verses in their holy book!). I loved the way that a prominent, very 'moderate' (by Islamic standards) writer and broadcaster here who poses as a modern British Asian blabity blah, etc was busy saying how western society is "Islamophobic", and how so many Britons and British society is riddled with racists (yet they still choose to live here and not the tribal craphouses they used to live in), yet made a speech in an Islamic 'cultural' centre saying: "The kaffar, the disbelievers, the atheists who remain deaf and stubborn to the teachings of Islam, the rational message of the Quran; they are described in the Quran as, quote, 'a people of no intelligence', Allah describes them as; not of no morality, not as people of no belief – people of 'no intelligence' – because they’re incapable of the intellectual effort it requires to shake off those blind prejudices, to shake off those easy assumptions about this world, about the existence of God. In this respect, the Quran describes the atheists as 'cattle', as cattle of those who grow the crops and do not stop and wonder about this world." A bit more on the chap I'm referring to here (http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2012/08/peter-hitchens-vs-mehdi-hasan/). Not that I agree with Murray's neoconservative views, but he's right on Islam.