i find it funny how people here love to use the word ret*d.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

do you use the r word
yes 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
no 46%  46%  [ 23 ]
sometimes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 50

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:30 am

:roll: shame on all of you you do. :roll:

and this is too add but not related. kids with mental retardation also stim. and so do kids with C.P,
but way do people only associated stimming with autism, I wonder?

Last edited by MONIQUEIJ on 22 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:40 am

Mental retardation does exist and I do not see why nobody should be able to use the word ret*d as long as it truly means mental retardation.

I have used it when I was talking about mental retardation and when I talked about the "nickname" which had been given to me when I was in high school. I do not see why I should be ashamed, I respect people with mental retardation just as I respect people who are gifted and people who are in the normal range of intelligence.

We should stop using neutral words as an insult or take it negatively, they are just words. It is just like when someone says "I am fat" and everyone assume it is negative and starts using other words for that, it is not negative unless you think it is and we will not change the world by being politically correct and using euphemism because someone did not like being called "fat" or "blind".

In my country, "autist" is an insult now, but we still call an autist an autist because this is what they are.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:48 am

lostD wrote:
Mental retardation does exist and I do not see why nobody should be able to use the word ret*d as long as it truly means mental retardation.

I have used it when I was talking about mental retardation and when I talked about the "nickname" which had been given to me when I was in high school. I do not see why I should be ashamed, I respect people with mental retardation just as I respect people who are gifted and people who are in the normal range of intelligence.

We should stop using neutral words as an insult or take it negatively, they are just words. It is just like when someone says "I am fat" and everyone assume it is negative and starts using other words for that, it is not negative unless you think it is and we will not change the world by being politically correct and using euphemism because someone did not like being called "fat" or "blind".

In my country, "autist" is an insult now, but we still call an autist an autist because this is what they are.

I have no problem with mental retardation or ret*d being use in a medical term, but not for stupid.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:50 am

Oh, well... my vote doesn't count. I say "stupid" or "idiot", not ret*d. Sorry.

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2010, 11:56 am

i do admit, i use the word ret*d sometimes, but only if im in a truly thunderous mood, or something. i dont think people should be allowed to insult people, even jokingly, using words like ret*d or spaz or gay, its just wrong and its offensive., but i guess those insults have just stuck. i mean when they were originally used, they were genuinely meant as an insult against ret*ds or gay people, but nowadays, the words are just tossed around and no one cares about peoples feelings properly;
:roll:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:08 pm

I admit I say the word in a slang-ish context.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm

I use the word "ret*d" on occasion along with a multitude of other epithets, because I call things as I see them.

If you are, in fact, mentally ret*d and you're acting like a ret*d, I will give you a hug, but if you are of normal to above intelligence and you're acting like a ret*d. then I'll just call you a ret*d.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:28 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I use the word "ret*d" on occasion along with a multitude of other epithets, because I call things as I see them.

If you are, in fact, mentally ret*d and you're acting like a ret*d, I will give you a hug, but if you are of normal to above intelligence and you're acting like a ret*d. then I'll just call you a ret*d.

This.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 12:49 pm

How do you know someone is mentally, "medically" ret*d or not?

I mean: it's not written on the face.

I'll give an exemple: I've worked for many years with a young man, I never knew there was something "wrong" with him. He worked perfectly well, was a nice young man with whom I got on well - as everybody else did.

It's only after many years that one day, out of nowhere, I had the "insight" why (maybe) he was kept in the enterprise while everybody else was fired (due to economy).

I have no proof of course but to me, it's quite evident now that it's the reason why they kept him, knowing it would have been much more difficult for him to find another job where he would have done as well and with a decent salary.

But for all those years I worked with him, I had no idea.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 1:45 pm

I tend to only use the "R" word when discussing advancing or retarding something like the timing on a petrol engine. I think that the R word has become a troublesome word as many people use it as an insult.

I feel that it is deeply offensive to use it on this web site.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:35 pm

I think the initial assertion of this thread is false and a gross exaggeration I have rarely ever seen that word used here on WP and when it has come up, it has invariably been to denounce its use in common parlance. To claim that members here 'love' to use that word sounds more like trolling than a genuine concern to me.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:50 pm

Eventually it might happen were society might start to consider saying "that's ret*d" as insensitive. Right now we've reached that mark when saying "that's gay". People have gotten a lot more sensitive to that phrase these days. I wouldnt be surprise if "ret*d" heads in that direction.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:52 pm

I agree with the first poster, I just didn't feel like quoting her LOL.

That was weird.

But yes, mental retardation does exist and I'm not the type to be PC when it feels phoney or over the top. If someone IS mentally ret*d I will refer to them as such, I may also use "disabled" but if "ret*d" comes out of my mouth instead I'm not apologizing, I just don't feel like perpetuating other people's need to attach their own feeling and biases to words.

I don't ever use it in a joking manner, I did as a teenager but I see how it's distasteful now.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:45 pm

I just think it's obnoxious the way people are using a diagnostic label as an insult. It's just... I mean, what in the world is wrong with being ret*d? Nothing. Not a freaking thing. And yet it's an insult...

How would you feel, if people thought that part of who you were and how you thought were an intrinsically insulting thing to say about a person?

Well, come to think of it, maybe we do get it sometimes, because I've seen 'autistic' used as an adjective meaning "selfish" or "sociopathic"; but... it's nowhere near the level of use that "ret*d" sees.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

frag
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:52 pm

No, I don't use it as slang.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

I don't really see anyone using the word 'ret*d' or 'ret*d' in an offensive way around here.