Are Aspies supposed to be good at academics

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Aug 2010, 9:11 am

A lot of info about Aspergers I've read on other sites says that Aspies are generally good at academics but they lack or are less good at common sense stuff. I find I'm the opposite. Academic stuff was a major struggle for me. I did horrible in classes like English, Algebra1, Biology & World Geography. I barely made D`s in em. The classes I did good at wer classes that wer practical common sense type stuff like General Business, Business Math & Environmental Science. I've graduated high-school 9 years ago & I had no desire to go to college so I never went & feel the latter 3 coarses I mentioned wer the ones that wer the most useful to me & best prepared me for life & stuff. I got quite a lot more out of those than the former. Can other Aspies relate to s#cking in academics & doing better in practical stuff :?: I do not have an official AS diagnoses; it was ruled out when I was officially tested in favor of lots of seemingly contradictory things including learning problems & Schizoid Personality Disorder. I've had diagnoses of dyslexia & ADHD sense I was in Kindergarten & my Myers Brigs personality type is an ISTJ(strong I & very strong J). I'm thinking that having major problems with learning seemingly useless stuff in school is part of the rezone why I couldn't get a AS diagnoses even thou I have lots of the same problems & limitations ect

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:25 am

Some are, some are not.

ruveyn

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:27 am

I imagine that an Aspie is supposed to have the same degree of easiness/dificulty at school that anybody else.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:28 am

I was terrible at academics.

davethenat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2010, 11:29 am

Nick,

Remember that "patterns" do not always equal "Supposed to." While some Aspies, such as myself, excelled in environments like academics where rote memorization was expected and rewarded, that does not mean we do not have our own shortcomings. I had great difficulty with a variety of subjects that did not "interest" me. I received many low grades in key years, especially when my social problems led to depression.

Having any diagnosis does not make you "abnormal." Not receiving high marks in school as an Aspie (or not) does not make you "abnormal." It simply means your brain works in a way that some disciplines might not stimulate. But as far as I understand the diagnosis, one can be categorized as having Asperger's without experiencing academic "success"

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:52 am

@nntaleb 'Erudition, scholarship, & academia are three layers of knowledge analogue to love, marriage, & prostitution'

@nntaleb 'Just as no monkey is as attractive as the ugliest of humans, no academic is worthier than the worst of the creators'.

hopefuldisaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2010, 11:54 am

I am good at academics if I want to be, but I strongly dislike them and therefore have never done super well.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm

You know I am not because I had a topic about this too.

My grades showed I was terrible with academics and interestingly enough, my English teacher was very concerned about/interested in me because she thought I was intelligent enough, but that there must be some other reason why I couldn't do the work. So, she got me test for, what I guess must have been, Dyslexia etc. But I came back fine. You can't find autism in these academic tests, I don't think.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm

Just another myth. Nuff said.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MuffinMonster
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2010, 12:15 pm

I'm s**t at everything. nuff said.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:56 pm

Can you say 'Stereotype'?

Sure. I knew you could...

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, wouldja be mine?
:tongue:

cthulukitty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2010, 1:11 pm

Every autistic person is different, and autism is characteristically marked by uneven development and ability across different areas of cognition. I have often done very well in school, and as a child I was hyperlexic, taught myself to count and understand place value, and perseverated about one nerdy subject after another. In my mid-twenties, not much has changed. It seems to me that certain areas of my brain (those dealing with logic, math, and language) must be overdeveloped or hyperactive, possibly to compensate for developmental weaknesses in other areas. I've met many autistic people however with very different patterns of ability. Temple Grandin has claimed that autistic people think in pictures, while I and many other aspies tend to think more in words and numbers. What is common among us is our uneven development; the specific areas in which we are stronger and weaker may vary dramatically.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 1:48 pm

There are two type of people that do well in 'academics';

Intelligent people and people who work hard.

If you are both, you will do very well.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

A lot of the research I've done seems to say that autistics are people who minds are NOT balanced. Our minds are just as functional as NTs but we are highly intelligent because our brains do not work well for social stuff. When I mention Aspergers on other forums or to people online; lots of em are under the impression that Aspies are geniuses who s#ck socially. Lots of people think Aspies should be very good at technical computer stuff &/or advanced sciences. I'm NOT good at either. I feel like my brain is much less functional than NTs. I do NOT have the strengths/skills that lots of people thinkk us Aspies should have.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:27 pm

Then you should rest assured and take some comfort that what you seem to think others believe (that Aspies in general are of higher intelligence) is flat out, a myth. If you read enough about it, you will eventually come to understand two things.

1) Aspie does not equal high intelligence or high IQ
2) High intelligence, even if you possess it, doesn't necessarily equal high performance in academics.

There are quite a lot of very intelligent Aspies who suck at school, because the academic world simply isn't built for how they learn.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

I have always been good at what I have been interested in and have gotten my share of As and Fs, both. I tend to think academically but have performed poorly at school in the past. It just depends. I once took a class and remained at the very top the entire duration. The instructor even wrote on one of my tests that I had the highest grade in there and she hoped I was proud of myself. Her and the assistant were amazed. My art teacher in college was, also. She asked me how I knew "to do that", have I ever taken an art class before?
I've had those moments inspiring awe and others. I've also come off as a shiftless, lazy lout, too.