Page 3 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 12:30 pm

I was doing great with weightloss over the summer and being back at college for about a month now, I feel like I've lost progress. I do 20 minutes of core exeriises on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, I started doing an hour or so of Fencing on Monday night and sparring in "Fight circle" with the Renaissance Club on Thursdays. I also walk all over the place to get where I need to go and my calves are definitely burning by the time I reach my destination.

It's just the food at college is sooo fatty. Unless I eat a salad or a wrap for every meal, I'll end up eating something bad for me. I order grilled chicken sandwiches whenever I can but they take 15 minutes to make (they make grilled foods to order) and sometimes I don't have the time to wait because of the schedule. I feel like I'm gaining some of the lost weight back already, even if I'm eating smaller portions. I feel like I'll lose all the progress I made by the time this semester's over. I'm soo frustrated. How hard is it for schools to provide more variety of healthy foods? I get pissed at myself, thinking if I lost more over the summer, I'd be better off. I'm so discouraged right now I could cry. >.<

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

Erisad, cut out or down on carbohydrates, not fat. :) It's not fat that makes you fat but the starchy carbohydrates ( bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn, etc ), and the high-fructose corn syrup sweeteners, etc.

Also try eating protein and fat separately from carbohydrates. ie. no bread with chicken, no bun with a burger, no chips with fried fish, no pizza, no pasta with cheese or meat, etc.

Go for pure protein meals, a big steak or a couple of pork chops or a big piece of chicken or lots of fish, ( with a bit of green veg or salad or tomatoes, or parsley etc ). :D

Make sure you get enough good fats, eg. in meat, oily fish and butter etc.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 1:36 pm

ouinon wrote:
Erisad, cut out or down on carbohydrates, not fat. :) It's not fat that makes you fat but the starchy carbohydrates ( bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, corn, etc ), and the high-fructose corn syrup sweeteners, etc.

Also try eating protein and fat separately from carbohydrates. ie. no bread with chicken, no bun with a burger, no chips with fried fish, no pizza, no pasta with cheese or meat, etc.

Go for pure protein meals, a big steak or a couple of pork chops or a big piece of chicken or lots of fish, ( with a bit of green veg or salad or tomatoes, or parsley etc ). :D

Make sure you get enough good fats, eg. in meat, oily fish and butter etc.

But I thought rice was good (or at least a better substitute for a side) for me. Also, avoiding pizza at college is almost impossible. It's everywhere, like Chinese food. I also have been cutting out chips and fries (most of the time, unless I'm really hungry), and any side with my meal. I don't know what the school does to their broccoli but it tastes awful. I miss the broccoli from home.

Also, if I were to have a pure-protein meal, I'd have to go into the line about 2-3 times because they cut the portions of everything so damn small except for french fry portions, go figure.

I only eat dessert that's not a fruit once a week. D:

Eh? I thought butter was bad for me. Also, fish is rare at college too. Most of the time they fry it when they get it so it's pointless. :/

What ends up happening is that I'm soo afraid of overeating on bad stuff that I'll eat a tiny portion of whatever's available and leave dinner still hungry. :(

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 1:58 pm

Erisad wrote:
I thought rice was good (or at least a better substitute for a side) for me.

Rice is definitely better than wheat, and corn, for a lot of people, so that's true if you would otherwise eat pasta, or a bread-roll or corn chips as a side dish.

Erisad wrote:
Avoiding pizza at college is almost impossible. It's everywhere, like Chinese food. I also have been cutting out chips and fries (most of the time, unless I'm really hungry), and any side with my meal. ... Also, if I were to have a pure-protein meal, I'd have to go into the line about 2-3 times because they cut the portions of everything so damn small except for french fry portions, go figure. ... What ends up happening is that I'm soo afraid of overeating on bad stuff that I'll eat a tiny portion of whatever's available and leave dinner still hungry. :(

That's why it's important that you eat enough fat, it's important and good for you, and it "fills you up" too so feel less empty/hungry. :)

But I definitely see the problem with the menus available to you. Most canteen/buffet places hope you'll fill up on carbohydrates; they're cheaper, ( in fact they are famine or "last resort" food ), but if the amount of protein that they serve is simply not enough to fill you up/feed you then the next best option is to eat all your protein at home, whether tinned fish or cheap cuts of meat, or eggs, etc ... and fill up on potatoes/chips or rice with a sauce ( tomato, pepper, lentils, whatever ), and as much tolerable veg or salad as possible, but no protein, at the canteen. That way at least you don't go hungry, but you don't mix the two food groups.

Quote:
I don't know what the school does to their broccoli but it tastes awful. I miss the broccoli from home.

Yeah, canteen kitchens do tend to ruin green veg. :(

Quote:
I only eat dessert that's not a fruit once a week. D:

That is really great. :D

Quote:
I thought butter was bad for me.

Butter is only bad for you if you are sensitive to dairy, ( or in combination with masses of carbohydrates ). Otherwise it's full of really important vitamins and fats which combat depression, etc.

Quote:
Also, fish is rare at college too. Most of the time they fry it when they get it so it's pointless. :/

Fried fish isn't so bad if the only other choice is loads of white rice or pizza! :lol

Last edited by ouinon on 24 Sep 2010, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 2:01 pm

ouinon, have you ever heard of the theory about some people being fast metabolizers? If so, could you share some thoughts? BTW, I think I am one of them!

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 2:11 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
ouinon, have you ever heard of the theory about some people being fast metabolizers? If so, could you share some thoughts? BTW, I think I am one of them!

I don't know anything about that, or rather I'm not really sure what the term refers to/what it means. :)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 2:21 pm

@Ouinon - Um...I live in a dorm room. My microfridge wouldn't fit any package of cheap meat and even if it could, I doubt the oven downstairs would be able to cook anything without setting off the fire alarm. It's set off the alarm a lot last year. Also, I have to share the fridge with my roommate too, who eats nothing but the fattiest of foods. She's the same size as me but just very unmotivated. D:

...Fried fish is STILL bad. It doesn't matter what else is being served. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat to survive because then I never would. :/

Most of the time, I feel like I'm depriving myself. Then when someone invites me to order takeout or go out to eat, I feel like I've ruined all the effort I put into it. :cry:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 2:22 pm

ouinon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

I don't know anything about that, or rather I'm not really sure what the term refers to/what it means. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_typing

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 3:44 pm

Erisad wrote:
@Ouinon - Um...I live in a dorm room. My microfridge wouldn't fit any package of cheap meat and even if it could, I doubt the oven downstairs would be able to cook anything without setting off the fire alarm. It's set off the alarm a lot last year. Also, I have to share the fridge with my roommate too, who eats nothing but the fattiest of foods. She's the same size as me but just very unmotivated. D:

...Fried fish is STILL bad. It doesn't matter what else is being served. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat to survive because then I never would. :/

Most of the time, I feel like I'm depriving myself. Then when someone invites me to order takeout or go out to eat, I feel like I've ruined all the effort I put into it. :cry:

:(

I don't know what to say. It sounds like a really difficult situation/environment for you food-wise.

Cutting down on carbos is the most important thing. Eat anything else that you can get at the canteen, meat, fish, eggs, veg, salad, cheese, aswell as fatty fried foods, if it will enable you to pass on the carbos.

I too have sometimes/often wished that I didn't have to eat in order to survive. :( Cutting out gluten made a lot of difference because it reduced/removed most of my cravings, etc. But carbos really are noxious.

You might be surprised by how little you need to eat, "volume" wise, if you cut out carbos, and concentrate on getting enough protein and fat above everything else.

When you go out to eat ask for pure protein dishes, or a mixed plate if there's nothing else but then leave the carbos. Revel in protein. Even eat the toppings off a pizza if there's nothing else.

I was going to say "But don't beat yourself up about it", but remembered that I still do that myself ... when I'm feeling rubbish ( physically or mentally ) and I know it's because I ate x, y, or z.

Good luck and best wishes. What are you going to do/eat tomorrow do you think? I used to find a food diary useful. Helped keep me conscious about my choices, and was a space to vent too when messed up.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 3:50 pm

I don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Homework, mostly I guess. Food wise? I don't know. I eat a bowl of granola for breakfast each morning. After that, it's whatever is available at the dining hall. Oh yeah, and I'm supposed to be getting fitted for a custom made leather waist-cincher for my Renaissance garb. That is, if the friends I contacted remember to give me a time for when they're gonna show up. That's probably why I feel so bad, they'll have to measure me and the bigger you are, the more you pay. The girl I asked for it about is a mother of two and has a fantastic body so she paid the minimum for hers. It's no big deal really, it'll be high quality but I'm nervous about the number. >.>

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2010, 4:00 pm

Erisad wrote:
I eat a bowl of granola for breakfast each morning.

This is just me, what I'd do, ok, :) but I would absolutely scrub the granola! You're starting your day with totally unnecessary carbos. If you have to eat first thing on getting up eat fruit, nuts, juice, a natural unsweetened yoghurt, or even eggs, bacon, cheese, etc.

Quote:
I'm supposed to be getting fitted for a custom made leather waist-cincher for my Renaissance garb. That's probably why I feel so bad, they'll have to measure me and the bigger you are, the more you pay. It's no big deal really, it'll be high quality but I'm nervous about the number. >.>

Wow! That sounds cool. :D Where/when are you going to be wearing that? I can see that would definitely be a rather big pressure to lose weight/not gain any more. I hope it doesn't work out too expensive.

I hope they're serving really generous sized portions of some tasty meat or fresh'ish fish at the canteen tomorrow too.

I'm off to bed now, it's late here. Wishing you all the best. :)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:14 pm

ouinon wrote:
Erisad wrote:
I eat a bowl of granola for breakfast each morning.

This is just me, what I'd do, ok, :) but I would absolutely scrub the granola! You're starting your day with totally unnecessary carbos. If you have to eat first thing on getting up eat fruit, nuts, juice, a natural unsweetened yoghurt, or even eggs, bacon, cheese, etc.

Quote:
I'm supposed to be getting fitted for a custom made leather waist-cincher for my Renaissance garb. That's probably why I feel so bad, they'll have to measure me and the bigger you are, the more you pay. It's no big deal really, it'll be high quality but I'm nervous about the number. >.>

Wow! That sounds cool. :D Where/when are you going to be wearing that? I can see that would definitely be a rather big pressure to lose weight/not gain any more. I hope it doesn't work out too expensive.

I hope they're serving really generous sized portions of some tasty meat or fresh'ish fish at the canteen tomorrow too.

I'm off to bed now, it's late here. Wishing you all the best. :)

But the granola I'm eating has lots of protein in it too. I was eating that when I was losing a lot of weight in the summer so I didn't think they were the problem but after looking at the side of the box, they have 39g of Carbohydrates per half cup. Dammit! For eggs and bacon to work, I'd need to cook. My meal plan doesn't have enough meals for the semester to cover breakfast. Also, I'd need to purchase LOTS of fruit and yogurt because we go to the grocery store every 2 weeks. The fruit and yogurt will end up spoiled/rotting by the time I'd eat it all. >.<

I'm in a renaissance club so I'll probably be wearing it to meetings and events. I was tired of looking sh***y in all the garb I made myself. Everything made me look fat in comparison to all the more beautiful girls in club. Hell, I won't be surprised if this backfires on me too. I showed people my state ID picture that was taken when I was 17 and the first words out of their mouths were, "wow, you were so attractive!" I asked them if that meant that I wasn't attractive now and they fell silent. Thanks guys. Way to make me feel better. D:

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:18 pm

Some people just need to control portion sizes. A lot of times we eat way more than a single portion of something, and that is why we end up with too many calories at the end of the day. Only some people have to cut out certain foods, and that is due to allergies or digestive issues, like with wheat. You can have carbs, fats, veggies, meats- any of that if you keep all of your portions to the recommended sizes.

If you look up portion sizes there are good visual references to help you do this even when you are eating out. For example, a serving of chicken is the size of a deck of cards or most people's palm (adult size palm). A serving of rice will fill a standard muffin cup. A serving of cheese is the size of a pair of dice or your thumb (average adult thumb). Most of the time we eat way more of this.

Yeah a lot of people do lose weight by cutting out all of their carbs or all meat, etc, but if this deprives you of something you really like it will only be short term. You have to do something that you can maintain if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

I reduced certain processed carbs, eliminated some even, but that is because the sugar messes with my meds, and the processed carbs are hard for me to digest. I also notice that too much wheat makes my ADHD traits worse despite the Ritalin. That does affect my weight loss, but I also eat smaller portions of my other food and keep my calories down to what I actually burn in a day. If I were to eat the stuff I cut and still keep my calories at maintenance level I would not gain weight, but I would probably feel like crap.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:23 pm

pumibel wrote:
Some people just need to control portion sizes. A lot of times we eat way more than a single portion of something, and that is why we end up with too many calories at the end of the day. Only some people have to cut out certain foods, and that is due to allergies or digestive issues, like with wheat. You can have carbs, fats, veggies, meats- any of that if you keep all of your portions to the recommended sizes.

If you look up portion sizes there are good visual references to help you do this even when you are eating out. For example, a serving of chicken is the size of a deck of cards or most people's palm (adult size palm). A serving of rice will fill a standard muffin cup. A serving of cheese is the size of a pair of dice or your thumb (average adult thumb). Most of the time we eat way more of this.

Yeah a lot of people do lose weight by cutting out all of their carbs or all meat, etc, but if this deprives you of something you really like it will only be short term. You have to do something that you can maintain if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

Most of the time, I'm eating really small portions. It's just whenever I slip up that everything is ruined. D:

Hell, I just want to lose it. I've never got far enough to worry about keeping it off because I'm full of fail. If I wouldn't get huge headaches when I'm hungry, I would become anorexic because being bulimic is too messy. D:

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:28 pm

Erisad wrote:
pumibel wrote:

Most of the time, I'm eating really small portions. It's just whenever I slip up that everything is ruined. D:

Hell, I just want to lose it. I've never got far enough to worry about keeping it off because I'm full of fail. If I wouldn't get huge headaches when I'm hungry, I would become anorexic because being bulimic is too messy. D:

Maybe you are waiting too long between meals? You have to try different things to see what is reasonable and what isn't . Once you do lose it, you will need to maintain it too, so you cant go back to the habits you had before. You do have a higher calorie target, though. If you slip up, just forgive yourself and go back to your plan- dont make a big deal of it or you will end up giving up in frustration. I may have missed this, but what type of physical activity are you doing?

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:32 pm

pumibel wrote:
Erisad wrote:
pumibel wrote:

Maybe you are waiting too long between meals? You have to try different things to see what is reasonable and what isn't . Once you do lose it, you will need to maintain it too, so you cant go back to the habits you had before. You do have a higher calorie target, though. If you slip up, just forgive yourself and go back to your plan- dont make a big deal of it or you will end up giving up in frustration. I may have missed this, but what type of physical activity are you doing?

My meal plan only gives me 12 meals a week. I eat breakfast in my room, then lunch and dinner whenever I have a break. I really have no choice but to wait. I mean, I've been fat for 11 years. The thinnest I was during that time was 143 pounds (I'm 5"3) and I was still fat. I'm now 100 pounds heavier and I hate it. >.<

Quote:
I do 20 minutes of core exercises on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, I started doing an hour or so of Fencing on Monday nights and sparring in "Fight circle" with the Renaissance Club on Thursdays. I also walk all over the place every day to get where I need to go and my calves are definitely burning by the time I reach my destination.

^This.