Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:09 pm

A thread where we can share our triumphs and our difficulties in looseing weight.

we can vent and share experiences and support each other.

:flower:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:13 pm

Im extremely proud of myself today! :sunny:

It was my mothers birthday so she wanted lots of treats, first we went for coffee in the morning at Krispy Kreme donuts, all my family had donuts but I just had a coffee.

Then we went for lunch at a posh cafe, everyone else had cheesy bagettes, but I just had a diet coke and waited till we got home to have a salad!

For dinner my mother orderred chinese take away (my favourite) but again I resisted and had salad!

Im so proud of resisting temptation all day :sunny:

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:17 pm

8)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Aug 2010, 4:17 pm

Congratulations!

My biggest weight problem arises from the consumption of wheat and dairy products. When I can remember to substitute gluten free and to avoid dairy, I can better maintain a healthy weight. This is a great topic!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:21 pm

So you're just eating salad all day? That sounds more unhealthy than having a doughnut (unless you're adding meat or beans, or something.)

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:26 pm

buryuntime wrote:
So you're just eating salad all day? That sounds more unhealthy than having a doughnut (unless you're adding meat or beans, or something.)

yes when i said salad I did not include all the ingredients as I thought that would be too much info and boring! lol! But the salad included all sorts of vegetables and fish.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:26 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
Congratulations!

My biggest weight problem arises from the consumption of wheat and dairy products. When I can remember to substitute gluten free and to avoid dairy, I can better maintain a healthy weight. This is a great topic!

yes that is so true!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:52 pm

buryuntime wrote:

:P You have a very limited notion of what constitutes a salad. Some people think 'salad' is just another word for lettuce.

Salad can include chopped eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, bacon bits, cheese, banana peppers, jalepenos, onions, chopped nuts, pickles of all kinds, raisins, ham, chicken, tuna, ground beef and/or beans (in a taco salad), cucumbers, apple or orange slices, spinach, sesame or sunflower seeds, and all kinds of other stuff.

I make my salads in a popcorn bowl. :D

Nobody ever became obese eating vegetables.

I have no issue with wheat or dairy, I just avoid white bread and potatoes like the plague - they're pure starch, which turns to sugar, which turns to FAT.

Straight milk does make me a tad mucousy, so I don't drink it like I did as a kid, but I still like it, and I wouldn't give up cheese for anything.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:01 pm

lotusblossom wrote:

It was my mothers birthday so she wanted lots of treats, first we went for coffee in the morning at Krispy Kreme donuts, all my family had donuts but I just had a coffee.

Then we went for lunch at a posh cafe, everyone else had cheesy bagettes, but I just had a diet coke and waited till we got home to have a salad!

For dinner my mother orderred chinese take away (my favourite) but again I resisted and had salad!

Good for you LB. :)

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:02 pm

Willard wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

:P You have a very limited notion of what constitutes a salad. Some people think 'salad' is just another word for lettuce.

Salad can include chopped eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, bacon bits, cheese, banana peppers, jalepenos, onions, chopped nuts, pickles of all kinds, raisins, ham, chicken, tuna, ground beef and/or beans (in a taco salad), cucumbers, apple or orange slices, spinach, sesame or sunflower seeds, and all kinds of other stuff.

I have no issue with wheat or dairy, I just avoid white bread and potatoes like the plague - they're pure starch, which turns to sugar, which turns to FAT.

Straight milk does make me a tad mucousy, so I don't drink it like I did as a kid, but I still like it, and I wouldn't give up cheese for anything.

you worded that so much better than I ever could!

big salads are the best!

Quote:

thats the theory Im following :D

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:04 pm

Moog wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

Good for you LB. :)

yes its great! Normally I would use the 'birthday celebration' as an excuse to binge and carry on binging after as I had 'ruined my diet', so Im very pleased to break ingrained habbits and gain confidence that I can resist temptation.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:12 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
big salads are the best!

If I could afford it, I would rarely eat anything but big salads. Unfortunately, I can spend more than fifty bucks in the produce section just buying stuff for salads that will only last me a couple of days, and on Disability, that's half my grocery budget for the entire month. :(

So I have to settle for the occasional splurge with a coupon at an all-you-can-eat restaurant with a big salad bar, or a trip to Subway, where they ask "What would you like on your salad?" and I tell them "EVERYTHING! and LOTS of IT!" :P

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:39 pm

Willard wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Possibly, I just wanted to make sure this poster wasn't practically starving themself. If salad can include so many things, how is there a set definition for what a salad is; do they all contain lettuce?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Aug 2010, 6:50 pm

I would think that a salad constitutes lots of raw veggies. Not just lettuce.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 7:13 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I would think that a salad constitutes lots of raw veggies. Not just lettuce.

Perhaps. But what about taco salads? They contain lettuce too, so I thought that was the key ingredient, but then remembered the existence of fruit salads.

Quote:
Food mixtures either arranged on a plate or tossed and served with a moist dressing; usually consisting of or including greens

And I just realized I derailed your thread with a discussion on the definition of a salad, my bad carry on.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

Willard wrote:
If I could afford it, I would rarely eat anything but big salads. Unfortunately, I can spend more than fifty bucks in the produce section just buying stuff for salads that will only last me a couple of days, and on Disability, that's half my grocery budget for the entire month. :(

You should get a sprouter. You just take some seeds, soak them overnight, then spread them out in the trays and pour a cup of water over them every morining and night, and in 3 days you've got salad. That means if you stagger when you fill each tray you get salad every day. The seeds will last for ages, and they're really cheap too, considering how much you get.

Or you could go all the way and try Window Farms.