What is the most disliked religion in the Western World

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is the most disliked religion in the Western world?
1. Islam 57%  57%  [ 26 ]
2. Catholicism 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
3. Judaism 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4. Mormon 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
5. Hindu 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6. Budhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7. Shinto 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8. Santeria (voodoo) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9. Protestant Ultra-Fundementalism 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
10. Other 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 46

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:18 pm

You pretty much have to be living under a rock to not know it's Islam.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:16 pm

I still think there are more people lining up to defend Muslims' rights to build mosques than there are people who are prepared to defend the religious character (pfft!) of Scientology.

Wow, I almost managed to type those last five words without laughing!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:30 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I still think there are more people lining up to defend Muslims' rights to build mosques than there are people who are prepared to defend the religious character (pfft!) of Scientology.

Wow, I almost managed to type those last five words without laughing!

Scientology isn't even a religion, so it doesn't count in my opinion. It would be like listing Sith or Q.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:51 pm

I voted Judaism, because of how other religions have vilified and prosecuted Jews, I was sort of split on picking Islam as they are also depicted as evil by western culture. Anyhow the poll is going to be unfairly stilted towards Islam given that most of the votes are American in origin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 3:17 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
I voted Judaism, because of how other religions have vilified and prosecuted Jews, I was sort of split on picking Islam as they are also depicted as evil by western culture. Anyhow the poll is going to be unfairly stilted towards Islam given that most of the votes are American in origin

In non-Western parts of the world Judaism will not win any popularity contests.

ruveyn

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:09 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Scientology really isn't a religion. It's kind of a joke that it's considered one really since the only reason they claim that is for tax exemption. It's more of a "self help" pyramid scheme. If people actually get something out of it more power to them but it seems it's taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Almost all religion start out as rackets or cults. Jesus Christ, after all, was an "end of the world" style cult leader who told his followers to shun their families and give up all their possessions.

Not much difference.

I vote scientology.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Scientology really isn't a religion. It's kind of a joke that it's considered one really since the only reason they claim that is for tax exemption. It's more of a "self help" pyramid scheme. If people actually get something out of it more power to them but it seems it's taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Almost all religion start out as rackets or cults. Jesus Christ, after all, was an "end of the world" style cult leader who told his followers to shun their families and give up all their possessions.

Not much difference.

I vote scientology.

You have a point. A religion is a cult that has outlived its founder or guru.

ruveyn

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:43 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:

Islam gets a bad rap in much of Europe as well. Over in the Netherlands, for example, the vociferously anti-Islam politican Geert Wilders continues to gain support and may be a future prime minister. The Swiss voted to ban minarets and their largest party is blatantly xenophobic and especially anti-Islam.

In terms of amount of concentrated hatred, Islam wins. In terms of having the worst overall consensus, Scientology wins.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:13 pm

What would WBC be considered? I ask because a lot of people would say they're not even Christians, much less Baptists, so I'm not quite sure where they should be classified. They may only be the one church, but I can hardly think of a more hated group in general, let alone a religion.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Aug 2010, 8:05 pm

Scientology isn't that hated. Most people don't even know what it is or just thinks it's some kooky new age alien thing Tom Cruise believes in.

It's Islam without a doubt.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 1:59 am

Surely a "religion" that no one but its followers accepts as a religion has got a better claim to "most disliked" that a religion which is accepted to be a religion, notwithstanding the rough ride it gets within the body politic.

Jacoby has a good point though. Derision is not the same as dislike.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:38 am

Hector wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:

Islam gets a bad rap in much of Europe as well. Over in the Netherlands, for example, the vociferously anti-Islam politican Geert Wilders continues to gain support and may be a future prime minister. The Swiss voted to ban minarets and their largest party is blatantly xenophobic and especially anti-Islam.

There are two reasons for the dislike:

1. The violence that Muslims inflict on non-Muslims for "insults" to Islam. Think of the riots that broke out because of the Mohammed cartoons. Think of the murder to Theo van Gogh.

2. Muslims are likely to push Shariah on the non-Muslim population if they ever acquire enough political muscle. Some Christians used to do this: For example Sabbath "Blue Laws" and Prohibition of Alcohol.

Most people do not particularly like it when religious fanatics of any stripe try to lay a trip on them.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:16 am

Islam and Scientology.

Though I don't like Catholicism much either.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:32 am

Reviling religion topic

The dislike<--------->revulsion is a continuum, or a spectrum. Another spectrum would have different words such as like/dislike, love/hate, accept/reject, etc.

I have a revulsion towards them for myself , but I do not advocate a ban. ideally, keep them private/personal.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 8:01 am

Tequila wrote:
Islam and Scientology.

Though I don't like Catholicism much either.

You will notice that Catholics do not riot when the Pope is disrespected publically.

And a group of dedicated Catholics has not hijacked a commercial airline flight and crashed the plane into a tall building.

ruveyn

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 8:26 am

Probably islam, scientology and fundamentalist christianity.