Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?
Yes 84%  84%  [ 27 ]
No 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

DW wrote:
Yes, I would like to approach this issue from a purely scientific standpoint.

I find it hilarious that some people dismiss sightings as demons, visitors from heaven, or the funniest one I heard so far is "Xenu has defecated".

I agree with the energy gradient part, energy flows from high to low and that is a requirement for life. And I also agree with the requirement of structural macromolecules. Although like you said, these macromolecules don't have to be made out of the common elements (C, H, O, N). For all we know, saccharides (sugar rings) could have their carbon groups replaced with another element that tends to form rings.

Once again, thanks everyone for commenting.

And by the way, sorry for not putting an "I don't know" option into the poll.

There is only one alternative to carbon and that is silicon which is much less likely to form rings and other complex molecules. Carbon is almost certain to be the main element of life where ever it happens to occur.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 12:44 pm

All reports show tha the Universe is made of the same materials as our rock. Carbon bonding is the easy way, so most would follow that path. Other methods might work, but you get an intelligent rock. It might work if there was enough free energy.

I would think that life is the normal outcome, but it was a long chain of odd events that produced our current mix, and that would not happen often.

The drive to expand and explore is driven by being meat eaters, seeking high energy food sources, abundant and easy prey. As shown by land mammals going back to the sea, adapting follows food supply, and one thing we should learn from Jurrasic Park, Alien, is a meat eating species does seek prey rich places to lay their eggs.

I agree with Stephen Hawkings, we should avoid contact with space faring species. If they can come here, one way or the other we will all die.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

I also agree with Stephen Hawkings...just think an alien race smarter than us ....must be cuz we cant find them. I doubt they would have any respect for us since we are so inferior thus would probably regard us much like we regard ants.

Becides I think they stay away from us cause we are nuts

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2010, 2:44 am

By the way, I am using the Carbon as an example. I am not quite literally saying that Carbon has to be replaced with something like Silicon.

For all we know, outer beings might not even need the 4 types of macromolecules (DNA, proteins, carbohydrates, lipids) used for life here on Earth.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 2:51 am

I do. I don't believe that we can possibly be the only lifeforms out there. Even if the other ones are teeny tiny one celled organisms. The Universe is bigger that anything. The likely hood that we are not alone is strong!

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2010, 10:01 pm

I voted "yes" because it seems that the odds are in favor of life developing *somewhere* in the universe over that of earth being an isolated circumstance. But there is also just the shear excitment of adventure and discovery that makes me WANT there to be more.

In the words of Michael Scott (in that show I've never actually seen): I am not superstitious, but maybe I am a little stitious. In the right hands, stitiousness can soften some of the sharp corners of this world (in the wrong hands you get roboticalien's list and worse).

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 1:14 am

I agree with the people who say that we should avoid extraterrestrial life. Every time in our history when a civilization encounters another civilization that it has not encountered before, usually the less advanced civilization is wiped out. Almost always, the more advanced civilization goes on an imperialistic streak and kills off/enslaves the less advanced civilization and/or the less advanced civilization begins to die, because they encounter diseases that they have never encountered before, and they have neither the immunity to avoid getting diseases nor the medical tech to treat them. While a few members of the less advanced civilization might survive, they are usually forced to integrate into the more advanced civilization, and most, maybe all of their former culture is lost.

Should the day come when we encounter sentient extraterrestrials, we will probably be that unlucky less advanced civilization, because they've managed to cross light-years worth of distance to reach us, when we haven't even been able to manage a manned trip to the planet next door.

In other words, we're sixteen kinds of screwed if that ever happens.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 8:35 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Every time in our history when a civilization encounters another civilization that it has not encountered before, usually the less advanced civilization is wiped out. Almost always, the more advanced civilization goes on an imperialistic streak and kills off/enslaves the less advanced civilization.

That certainly descripes us! I am sure that is exactly what we will do if we ever get space travel figured out. I suppose the entire universe is just one roiling mass of competeing genes, but I prefer to read the books/watch the movies that portray "advanced" as "peaceful"

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 11:58 am

I do not belive in extraterrestrial life, but i do belive there ARE extraterrestrial life.

I do not believe that they have the capacity to come to our world though. The universe is probably not as fun as science fiction would have us believe, it is a violent place and most of the lifeforms probably just get evolved to goo that crawls around before their planet get ripped apart.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2010, 11:44 pm

Ichinin wrote:
I do not belive in extraterrestrial life, but i do belive there ARE extraterrestrial life.

Important clarification, Ichinin - thanks

Ichinin wrote:
I do not believe that they have the capacity to come to our world though. The universe is probably not as fun as science fiction would have us believe, it is a violent place and most of the lifeforms probably just get evolved to goo that crawls around before their planet get ripped apart.

Imagination is the only weapon
in the war against reality.

-- Jules de Gautier

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2010, 1:47 am

Wow, at 25 votes, 88% are believers. I know that those of us who suffer of AS are realistic, but even myself, I didn't expect the percentage to be this high.

I recently learned that many people believe there is an underground base in Dulce, New Mexico. Apparently, extraterrestrials are working in symbiosis with humans, performing various medical tests on other captive humans/extraterrestrials as well as cattle and other animals. Apparently, this base has underground tunnels that span the world and form connections to other top secret bases such as Area 51.

I find the idea that ETs are working with humans and performing tests on other kidnapped humans in some underground base a little silly, this starts to go a little too far for me... So for 'research' purposes, we will assume that by extraterrestrial life I meant that perhaps the Phoenix Lights were some craft manned by some other lifeform, and that the nearest lifeforms are most likely unicellular organisms, etc.

Thanks for the input everyone! It's greatly appreciated!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 5:02 am

DW wrote:
Wow, at 25 votes, 88% are believers. I know that those of us who suffer of AS are realistic, but even myself, I didn't expect the percentage to be this high.

Do you make a distinction between the actuality of ET life and the possibility of ET life. I do not know if ET life exists, but I surely believe it is possible in environments where carbon and water abound. Being alive is the consequence of certain physical conditions. If the conditions exist then there will (with high probability) be some sort of self organizing replicating entities who exist far from thermodynamic equilibrium with their surroundings.

ruveyn

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2010, 5:37 am

For the record, I agree with you that life on other planets is almost certainly going to be carbon based.

(We had this discussion previously and discussed the possibly of other elements forming cyclic rings)

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2010, 5:38 am

For the record, I agree with you that life on other planets is almost certainly going to be carbon based.

(We had this discussion previously and discussed the possibly of other elements forming cyclic rings)

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2010, 5:38 am

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2010, 3:14 pm

"Believe"? In a universe as huge as this, without a doubt there's lifeforms on other planets. We'll probably never discover them because human-made telescopes can only see so far.