TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2010, 5:37 pm

MattTheTubaGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2010, 11:13 pm

you use mathematics as a tool in science. I am studying for a science degree, focussing on Physics and Astronomy, and it is impossible to do any physics without mathematics.
on the other hand, some mathematics was invented to be used in science, like Calculus, developed by Newton to help with his equations of motion. (acceleration is the derivative of velocity, which is the derivative of distance)

physics needs mathematics (all other sciences are applied physics anyway), but I think mathematics would be a bit boring if there were no real world applications, so one is not better than the other.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2010, 2:45 pm

Mathematics is indeed a tool for scientists. Without math science couldn't be done.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:12 am

More important in what environment?

In advancement of the understanding of the universe, they're pretty much equal. In industry, scientists (in particular, engineers).

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm

Well, neither one, really. Science is more directly beneficial to society, but then again, most of the science and technology we use in our daily lives is based heavily on mathematics. I personally prefer mathematics, because you don't need a $1,000,000 particle accelerator or space shuttle to test a hypothesis.