Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 6:50 am

Daytime sleep: NO can do. (unless ive been up for 26 hours already

Last fall i was working overnights on the weekend. Friday into saturday 11p-7a then saturday into sunday 11-7.
I found that i just could not get to sleep during the afternoon on friday. by friday night i had been up since 5 that morning. come saturday morning at 7, i had been up for 26 hours straight.

pardon the gross factor
Id get home, sleep fitfully until around 10am. my bowel schedule was all screwed up so id wake up at 10am to go make the deposit, then sleep again until noon, then a repeat performance. i would wake up around 3 feeling like crap, my sense of time and day was so out of whack.

then i would work saturday night 11-7, come home sunday am and be able to sleep soundly until 4pm. sunday night i would fall asleep per my usual schedule and monday morning i felt like a million bucks. For awhile there mondays were my favorite day.

I was on weekend overnights for about 3 months then i went to an even screwier schedule:
Friday into saturday 11p-7a.
Saturday 3p-11p
Sunday 7a-3p
If you didnt quite get that its 8 hours on-->8 hours off-->8 hours on-->8 hours off-->8 hours on

believe it or not, i liked that better than two overnights in a row.

by may of this year, i was able to get off of overnights. now i work 7-3 most weekdays. This works better for me as im a naturally early riser (4-5am)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:24 pm

Sleeping during the day has become a habit. I only want a short 20 minute nap, but it turns into a 40 minute deep sleep, then when I wake up again I feel even more tired, and just end up turning over and sleeping for another 30 minutes or so. Then, when it comes to night time, I'm laying there wide awake, tossing and turning half the night, then find it hard getting up in the morning, and by that afternoon I get drowsy again, and my body clock gets so mucked around.
It's just when I'm not doing anything all afternoon, and it's freezing cold and icy outside, all I want to do is curl up in my bed and sleep. But if I don't have any naps in the day, I have a very good night's sleep at night, and there is nothing better than climbing into bed at night time and feeling tired, and dropping off to sleep easily, and waking up nice and early the next morning. I've read having a good night's sleep is very good for anxiety, moods, appertite, concentration, digestion, and (believe it or not) communication skills. I've tried it. Having about 9 hours of sleep a night is healthy, and this is without sleeping in the day (a 20 minute nap is fine, but no more than that. And if you want to have a nap, it's best to do it laying on your back without any blankets or anything over you, because it then tells your body that you're only wanting a light nap, so you should naturally wake up after about 15-20 minutes. When you curl up in bed in the day your body will think you're going to bed).

People who do night shifts don't count with this rule, because I've never done night shifts. But I know I couldn't do any night shifts because I want to sleep at night and be fully awake all day.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:40 pm

My tip for short naps is to do it on the floor, laying flat in the corpse pose. When I do that I never sleep more than 10-20 minutes, but if I get in bed, I can go for a lot longer.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:46 pm

I hate naps! Plus they mess up your sleep pattern,well for me at least.However when I am traveling and have swimming a lot,it's really nice to snooze off for a few minutes,when your body and mind are so relaxed.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 7:11 pm

I generally don't sleep during the day, but sometimes I sleep in strange places. Yesterday I fell asleep at school. I wasn't tired and I didn't plan it. It's always sudden. I dream very quickly, so I'm afraid that one day I will do something stupid.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

Unless I just pulled an all-nighter, I can't take naps anytime other than nighttime.

asdmonger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2010, 8:35 pm

I used to be able to take 'power naps', where I could doze off for 10 minutes or so and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go. Now, same as you, if I sleep during the day I wake up with this horrible grogginess and am basically not worth anything for the rest of the day. I think it indicates some health problem, unfortunately I have no ideas about the cause.

daughter189
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2010, 7:18 pm

If I'm in a habit of having a nap in the afternoon (like during summer holidays) then I feel better after. Also, I got really tired around nap time and HAD to sleep because my body/brain was used to it. Now I'm out of that habit a nap just makes me feel worse.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:19 pm

I often do this, did it yesterday in fact. Which leads me to now, I am staying up super long, just so I can sleep at night time and wake up at an acceptable time as well. It's nice once in awhile, but man it gets old... Literally.. I feel old.

Kaliber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2010, 10:34 pm

When I was in college doing sports I used to sleep from 1-2AM til 6AM, did that for a solid 8 months :wink:

Apart from that, the past two days I've got a bill that I'm sure is wrong and I need to go into the store and contest it and I've been so worried I've been sleeping during the day, I believe I slept from 2PM til 2AM today and I haven't eaten in maybe 36 hours :?