I wish I could wake up and this would all be a dream

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

bubzy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2010, 2:53 pm

The parallel world of fear, the depression, the anxiety, the isolation. I know there is great potential buried under all that, sometimes my aspergers seems like a scary inconvenience, a curse. My brain often feels like it is on fire. 29, single, lonely, exhausting all resources to keep up this charade. Working to pay the bills, thousands of dollars of medical bills from my challenges. Reality is blurred, people say I am doing great, but I feel one stressful event from going belly up. Can I just experience one day and see the world through the eyes of my typical peers? Everyday is a struggle, and it is wearing me down.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:48 pm

I'm not sure the charade is worth it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:15 pm

It's not worth it! I'm going to make it as an autistic person, or not at all. Being neurotic and frightened to be oneself is not the way I want to live.

I'm 27 and living on welfare, but I'm also going to school and hoping to make my own way, on my own terms. Faking normal is near-impossible and no good for anybody who isn't already awfully close to normal to begin with.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

Last edited by Willard on 01 Sep 2010, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 5:21 pm

^
Same here. It was a huge shock for me to find out - sometimes many years later - what others thought about situations in which I imagined I did a great job dissimulating and fitting in. Quite embarrassing :oops:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 5:22 pm

bubzy wrote:
The parallel world of fear, the depression, the anxiety, the isolation. I know there is great potential buried under all that, sometimes my aspergers seems like a scary inconvenience, a curse. My brain often feels like it is on fire. 29, single, lonely, exhausting all resources to keep up this charade. Working to pay the bills, thousands of dollars of medical bills from my challenges. Reality is blurred, people say I am doing great, but I feel one stressful event from going belly up. Can I just experience one day and see the world through the eyes of my typical peers? Everyday is a struggle, and it is wearing me down.

Some of your "typical peers" are having a hard time, too. They just aren't showing it.

ruveyn

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 6:29 pm

How about medium disclosure, 'Oh, I can be pretty much of a nerd. I can be pretty intense about my own topics'

on the theory that it's about engagement with other people and with the world, not about conformity

(in fact, the above might be heavier-duty coming out than you need. You might be able to think of something briefer, that's just a single sentence)

bubzy

26 Aug 2010, 6:40 pm

Yeah, I get carried away. I just zero in on a topic and want to talk and talk, but it is more like meaningless babble since I am a visual thinker and I am trying to analyze in words. I feel a compulsion to talk much more about this special topic or interest on my mind. Our special interests just sneak into our minds and we are not aware that we a "stuck".

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 6:52 pm

Maybe we will one day.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 7:05 pm

Willard wrote:
Callista wrote:
It's not worth it! I'm going to make it as an autistic person, or not at all. Being neurotic and frightened to be oneself is not the way I want to live.

I'm 27 and living on welfare, but I'm also going to school and hoping to make my own way, on my own terms. Faking normal is near-impossible and no good for anybody who isn't already awfully close to normal to begin with.

Truth is, IMHO, faking normal (successfully) IS impossible. I thought I was doing it and getting away with it for most of my life. Once I was diagnosed and started reevaluating my life in light of the effects AS had had on me without my knowing, I realized pretty quickly that the people around me could see the whole time that I wasn't one of them, and they'd pretty much been treating me that way - I was just oblivious because I thought my differences were only minor and hardly noticeable.

Wrong. People noticed.

So all those years, the stress and anxiety I suffered and the effort I expended putting on that mask - were all wasted energy.

I am in my 40s and starting to wonder if it is indeed impossible...

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

bubzy wrote:
Yeah, I get carried away. I just zero in on a topic and want to talk and talk, but it is more like meaningless babble since I am a visual thinker and I am trying to analyze in words. . .

Have you tried drawing, sculpting . . ? It's still a long shot as far as making real money (and by all means take the long shot, just realize that's what it is, and try and have other things going on at the same time if possible). I'm a writer, and I know that my Aspie style can make for very good written works, which other people sometimes really appreciate, I think in large part because they can take it their own way at their own pace. Whereas my fire hose verbal style would tend to just drive them away (I am expanding my repertoire of verbal styles, but it has been a struggle!)

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2010, 7:59 pm

I was diagnosed later in life (51) and have always been different and people realized and commented on it, but I have still found acceptance, respect and friendship. We don't have to pretend to be normal, but I do feel that learning some social skills and always trying to better ourselves i.e. learning new skills is not a bad thing and doesn't mean that you are pretending.
I work in an IT area presently and I've found that my analytical Aspie traits have really helped me succeed in my job and obtain promotions and recognition. When I divulged my diagnosis to a few of the people who work the closest with me, they were very supportive, one of them said they "wanted to have something also". They help out when other people who don't know me well come around, today is a good example, I was totally engrossed in a task and someone came up behind me and tried to get my attention. One of my co-workers explained that I could totally concentrate and block everything else out and then showed them how to get my attention.
For me, life has continued to get better as I get older. Hang in there.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2010, 10:01 pm

I have no illusions about this, as I am in my 40s and still do not fit in. However, with my financial support and my artwork going well, I feel a tad more optimistic. It is just the social situation that is a disaster, so I stay alone most of the time, which I am very used to by now.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 10:38 pm

Callista wrote:

Good for you, but there is no way that I will be able to make it. :(

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:11 pm

websister wrote:
. . . When I divulged my diagnosis to a few of the people who work the closest with me, they were very supportive, one of them said they "wanted to have something also". They help out when other people who don't know me well come around, today is a good example, I was totally engrossed in a task and someone came up behind me and tried to get my attention. One of my co-workers explained that I could totally concentrate and block everything else out and then showed them how to get my attention.
For me, life has continued to get better as I get older. Hang in there.

Maybe an example of what we can accomplish with a little bit of help.

And at times, yes, including financial help.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:35 pm

And political activism, in ways that resonate with us, in ways that feel good and flowing, and not as dry obligation, but as something we want to do.

For example, we can start Aspie-friendly businesses, which is difficult (new businesses have an 80% failure rate), where we're going to hire both Aspie and non-Aspie employees and build bridges, and play to strength, and really have a diverse work force, and hopefully the advantages of this will outweigh the disadvantages, but of course there are no guarantees.

Also, we can tap into funding, and write grants and so forth and that takes some time, for self-advocacy, for self-directed groups. In different cities we can meet once a week, we can do activities, publish magazines, keep up web sites, and one just never knows. And of course it will be fits and starts and not everything will work out, but some of it will.

I have patchy social skills. I suspect most of us probably do.