Alien Swarm, a game I've just started playing

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 5:41 pm

Being subscribed to a gaming walkthrough channel on YouTube, I saw a walkthrough of the game Alien Swarm which looked pretty cool to me, and since it was free I got it and am now learning the controls for it. It's a third person shooter, and since I have not played third person shooters the controls are fairly difficult to learn. Instead of controlling "forward, back, left, right", the keys w,s,a,d, instead are a lest intuitive "north, south, west, east". Also, I notice it is extremely easy to run out of ammo, which two of my A.I. (offline practice) squad members did even without my controlling them. I do like the puzzles they have for the tech squad member, as that adds an educational value to it in a way that surprisingly doesn't make it boring. I think it seems like a fairly cool game with some obvious references to the second movie of the Alien quadrilogy.

Here's one of the YouTube clips I've seen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFWT3ohuJ8[/youtube]

Albinoboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2010, 7:31 pm

There is a lot from Alien isn't there?
I even heard a quote from it.
Lot's of Alieny things! (yes that was a pun, i think)

kriskarnage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 11:55 pm

For me, it's only fun when u got 3 other people that know what there doing.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2010, 11:34 am

^^^ Four marines, four directions. If your teammates don't understand this then the game gets very irritating.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm

Kinda reminds me of "Alien Syndrome" for the Wii (fun game, Diablo-style bug hunt :twisted: ). Geez, I still need to finish that game one day too . . .

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 5:48 pm

Had it, but got bored with it pretty quickly. Seems like there's not that much game play if you play in single player mode (just one level), and its not all that hard, but easy to run out of ammo as you said if you aren't careful.

I figured it would be better in multi-player mode but when I connected to a server on the internet and joined a game, I found I didn't really enjoy it any more.

Then again, the game is free so the price is right.

But for me, back to Audiosurf and rFactor.