How old were you when you got your ears pierced?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 2:52 am

16 I think. I always wanted to have them periced ever since my younger cousin had her's periced but I was afraid of it hurting. When I finnaly gave in and had them periced because I saw some meerkat ear rings online and some lion king ones as well. It didn't hurt at all but I never got the meerkat ear rings or even some Lion King ones so I had to make do with these dinky amethist (guess which month my birthday is) starter ear rings.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 4:15 am

Only my left ear is pierced, I had it done when I was 11. I still have my first ring in, evenhough it's broken.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 8:40 am

On a somewhat related note, does anyone find earrings a little troublesome while changing? I'm not even talking about the dangling ones or the giant hoops I've seen, but the little hoop ones. In a massive, impulsive move to feminize my image, I've been thinking of getting two holes on each of my ear. I'm deathly afraid of getting my earrings stuck while I'm changing and ripping my earlobes, though. (Also, I had my ears pierced when I was 8 and for reasons that remain unknown to me both of my ears were infected. What are some possible reasons an ear can get infected, and will I still have the same problem after all these years?)

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2010, 9:20 am

You just have to be careful when changing. Take off your top/shirt carefully, it will only take an extra second or two to be sure you don't rip anything. Your earlobes can take a bit of tugging, the only worry is how thin the earring is - it can pull right through if pulled too hard.

The infections could have been caused by a few different problems. The biggest problem is wearing the wrong jewelry. If you're allergic to any part of your earring, even just slightly, it will irritate the piercing. Try wearing sterling silver or pure gold earrings. Titanium is also a great option, but it is more expensive and harder to find. The earrings with the "butterfly" backs can be irritating, because they press against the ear so tightly.

Another problem could be what you were using to clean them, or not cleaning enough, or thoroughly enough. Clean them with peroxide at first (like the first week of the new piercing) then just mild salt water after that. Try not to use soap, alcohol, iodine, or anything harsher than peroxide or salt water. Many people can get away with those stronger cleaners, but if your ears are sensitive, you will not be able to. Be sure to leave the earring in for the first week or two, but after that, remove it to clean your ears every few days. Removing it too much can be irritating, so be careful about that.

Lastly, it could be how they were pierced, or how your sleep on them - situational problems. If they were pierced at a strange angle, then you would be putting more pressure on them while sleeping, or even while wearing headphones. Make sure you are not squishing them too badly when you sleep. And make sure you get them pierced straight.

I have both of my ear piercings in each earlobe stretched, and they are doing very well despite previous problems. If you take good care of them, infections should not be a problem.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2010, 10:40 am

Six when I had the first set done and then around 14/15 when the rest were done (3 more sets)

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm

I did it myself at 13 or 14.
When I was 18 I made 2 more in my left ear and 3 more in my right ear.
In the eighties I wore in each hole very big and long goldplated earrings, I felt naked without earrings. But since the beginning of the nineties I don't wear earrings anymore, I've seen to much women with teared earlobes.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 3:32 pm

I had the first set done when I was 9 or so, at the kiosk in the mall. One thing that I do have is sensitive ears, as do others in my family, so I either wear gold or hypoallergenic earrings. The second set I got done when I was 26, and that was my way of celebrating the divorce being final from my ex-husband who was verbally abusive.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2010, 5:25 pm

whatamess wrote:
my husband's daughter had the same but ever since I can remember her mom put big hoops on her...she looked like a trashy 7yr old girl...but that is not the norm...her mom was just trashy...

Woah... I used to have a pair of hoops that were big enough to fit around my wrists, but I bought them when I was 13. I can see a teen wearing big hoops, but not a little girl.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm

First set done at 10. Claire's at the mall. I found out that I am allergic to nickel so no cheap jewelry for me. Now I get all my piercings (4 more sets so far) at a local Body Piercing place that uses Stainless Steel or Titanium jewelry. I had some other facial piercings that I had to take out for work but will get a few more holes in the ears before too long.

I don't get the fascination with piercing an infant's ears. Or any child that can't take responsibility for their own after-care.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 3:23 pm

Around 2
I was severely Autistic at the time, so I didn't really understand pain much (one time I bashed my knee so badly that I still have a pretty nasty little scar, but didn't feel any pain). So they pierced them both at the same time, and it was done XD
I still have those ears pierced :)

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 11:07 pm

I think I was maybe 6 months or so old.

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2010, 7:09 am

I've never been pierced. (: I don't like needles nor blood nor the idea of something piercing my skin!!

Emeria
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2010, 3:27 pm

I had it done when I was 12, just before starting middle school. I left my earrings out for two weeks when I was a junior in high school and the holes closed up. I recently got them pierced again (I am 22 now).