How old were you when you got your ears pierced?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2010, 11:33 am

I've never had anything pierced, including my ears.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 12:23 pm

i got mine done when i was a baby:/

and a second set done when i was about 11 i think

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:31 pm

I got my ears pierced in my late 20s.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 4:20 am

I think early ear-piercing can be a cultural thing...there were a few girls in my elementary school who had pierced ears. They'd all had it done when they were babies, and they were all from the same cultural and ethnic group. Attitudes towards ear-piercing have changed...my mother and her sisters were not allowed to pierce their ears because their mother thought it was "low-class." My mom was in her 40s before she got them done...and I had to go with her and hold her hand, she was that scared!

My mother, OTOH, told me when I was five that I could have my ears pierced any time I wanted, all I needed to do was ask. I had a friend who'd had hers done and they bled, so I was too scared at 5. I finally got them pierced for my 10th birthday. (My mom was supposed to get hers pierced then too, but she chickened out that time.) I added a second hole in my left ear a few years later, and a second in my right and third in my left a few years after that. (That was when my mom finally got hers pierced.) My parents never objected to the extra holes in my ears, but they FREAKED when I pierced my bellybutton! I still wear earrings in all the holes (and still have my navel ring), even though extra holes aren't fashionable anymore. I don't care. I like them. I wear studs in the 2nd and third holes, but tend to wear large hoops and danglies in the first holes.

As for me, my kid could pierce whatever she ir he wanted and I'd be like, "Make sure it doesn't get infected!" I would suggest waiting on the nipples or anything below the belt until at least 16, though!

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2010, 11:42 pm

I was five years old.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2010, 6:17 pm

I've never had my ears (or any other part of me) pierced, and don't intend to. I would prefer that kids didn't have them pierced before they were old enough to decide for themselves, but it's not an important issue to me.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:08 pm

I did mine at 12 or 13. I got more piercings in my ear each year after that (I now have a total of 3 in one ear and 4 in the other) and eventually a tongue ring as well.

MicroChip
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm

I never had anything pierced. I don't like metal embedded in my skin.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2010, 9:38 am

I think it's ridiculous to pierce a child's ears when they're so young. They should be old enough to decide for themselves. I got mine done when I was very little. They were pierced wrong, at strange angles, and not even. Plus, I reacted badly to the material of the earrings, and had to deal with infected piercings for much of my young life.

Later, I decided to stretch them, and they are now 3/4". I got second piercings in each ear, both of which are 8g, then I got labret (was 8g, now retired) and septum (6g) piercings. This had nothing to do with getting my ears pierced at a young age, but it does mean that I have a strong opinion of it.

In most areas of the US, you can't get anything pierced at a piercing/tattoo parlor until you're 16. Why is that different with earrings? Because they use crappy materials, and GUNS?! You're so much better off going to a real piercer who will use an actual needle. And, therefore, you're better off waiting until you're old enough.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 1:25 pm

Seven years old. I wanted it done. It's funny that I don't even wear earrings now. I haven't done so in probably two years.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2010, 5:32 pm

I was seventeen when I got mine done. Some girls at school offered. When my daughter was six months old, she got hers done. It was a cultural thing from her father's side of the family, and a gift from her Godmother.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 5:37 pm

Sixteen

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 6:08 pm

I was 15 and I did it myself. Later I did more and I was wearing safety pins (uncomfortable, so I hadn't them long). More later I did industrial in my left ear and I still have it.

I think that ears piercing in very young age is stupid. Kids love to play and they're very active, so it's easy to tear the ears or do other harms. I was clumsy kid and I used to run into things, so I think even autistic kids, who aren't so active, aren't ready to have earrings.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 6:14 pm

Before the age of ten. I simply couldn't keep them clean and non-infected, so I don't think I had them for long. I seemed to be allergic to the cheap earrings. I don't really have a desire to get my ears pierced now. It seems odd to me that this is an "appropriate" piercing yet any other is looked upon as weird.

I think it's weird though to pierce a baby's ears. Children aren't dolls you dress up. It's the same with people painting their baby's finger or toe nails, small children will put them in their mouths. It isn't good.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 8:35 am

My aunt got my ears pierced when I was a few weeks old. My aunt took all my girl cousins to get their ears pierced done as well. Hehe I guess it turned into a family tradition. :lol:

I got mine done again when I was 8 or 9. Then again when I was about 12. I can't really remember. 8)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

I was 13. It was a birthday present. That seems a good age to me because it's pubescent. Before then, I didn't want earring for their own sake, just because other girls had them. I didn't care about how I looked until I was about 13.