Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 7:35 am

Berlin, 1941.

David and his sister Abi are ordinary children of the age. German children, definately. Their father is a NAZI soldier away at war, and their mother still fosters a private hatred for violence, and attacks on Jewish people.

One day, David spies their friends across the road, being moved into a truck. The family, the Schwar's, are Jewish. As David stands helplessly, watching his life long friends being taken away, nothing else matters accept humanity.

It is unbearable the thought of his friends dying in a place that replicates hell, so David decides that it would be wise to get a memorable from the house of the Schwar's to always remember them by.

As David explores the deserted home that used to house his loving neighbours and friends, he stumbles across the two Schwar children, Lukiel and Abdor. He is ecstatic, as is his sister, and his mother. They decide, that it is safe to shelter the children until the war is over.

An unexpected visit from their father ruins this. At first sight of the old friends, he reports the family. He regrets his actions afterwards, so much, he takes his life.

The family, and the additions are taken to Auschwitz concentration camp, where Dr.Mengele, the notorious man, decides that Abi, Abdor and the mother of Abi and David are unfit and useless for the camp, and, they are exterminated.

After months, and months of hard work and mourning, the time is up for David and Lukiel.

As they walked hand and hand toward the crematorium, they knew they were only beginning another life.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:01 am

Not sure about the "they knew they were only beginning another life" part, but your summary does touch on many realities. Have you seen "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas"?

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:56 am

This idea sounds very interesting.

I don't know a huge amount about day to day life during this period in Germany, but my understanding is that most of the general public were not necessarily aware that the Jews we being taken away to be killed. I suspect they mostly thought they were just being kept in camps or being deported and they carefully avoided thinking too much about what might really be happening.

Perhaps if the mother is politically very active, she might be very much against the rounding up of Jews and so the children might have learned about it through her. But then you have the problem of the conflicts that arise between a couple with two widely different political points of view.

Of course if it was common knowledge at the time, then the children's knowledge that their friends were going to their deaths makes more sense. But it also implicates the German general public in a crime of direct promotion of murder rather than the crime of willful ignorance.

I think this idea has a lot of potential and I'd like to see where you take it.

Good luck.

Lars

GeomAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 9:57 am

Have you written it yet ?

I have been thinking about a writing a screenplay that is also about german kids in WWII. My story is about how children are tainted with hate by their older relatives and society in general.

As many things in my life, i haven't taken the time to sit down and star doing it, but remember the plot just in case someday you see it at a theater near you :?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm

Last edited by Willard on 01 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 1:14 pm

jagatai wrote:
This idea sounds very interesting.

I don't know a huge amount about day to day life during this period in Germany, but my understanding is that most of the general public were not necessarily aware that the Jews we being taken away to be killed. I suspect they mostly thought they were just being kept in camps or being deported and they carefully avoided thinking too much about what might really be happening.

Perhaps if the mother is politically very active, she might be very much against the rounding up of Jews and so the children might have learned about it through her. But then you have the problem of the conflicts that arise between a couple with two widely different political points of view.

Of course if it was common knowledge at the time, then the children's knowledge that their friends were going to their deaths makes more sense. But it also implicates the German general public in a crime of direct promotion of murder rather than the crime of willful ignorance.

I think this idea has a lot of potential and I'd like to see where you take it.

Good luck.

Lars

Perhaps I should explain the last sector of the summary. - David is converted to Judaism.
His mother, actually had Jewish parents that were killed at the beginning of the Holocaust, that is why her son is called David.

Seeing as David has a NAZI soldier as a father, it is fair to conclude he would have heard about this abomination.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 2:44 pm

That seems reasonable if the father is high enough in the party or has direct participation in the concentration camps.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 9:28 pm

jagatai wrote:
That seems reasonable if the father is high enough in the party or has direct participation in the concentration camps.

Actually, quite the opposite. The camps and what happened there was carefully shielded from the public. Even if you knew some soldier stationed at one of the camps, they wouldn't discuss it. Also, all of the camps were located outside of Germany.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:33 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
jagatai wrote:

Actually, quite the opposite. The camps and what happened there was carefully shielded from the public. Even if you knew some soldier stationed at one of the camps, they wouldn't discuss it. Also, all of the camps were located outside of Germany.

David's mother may have discussed it with the father. Also, there was a few concentration camps in northern Germany. But as I stated Auschwitz is the camp in this story.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 9:59 pm

I'm pretty sure it wasn't common knowledge among the public because of Goebbels and his propoganda.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:08 pm

Ordinary Germans did not know the hellish details of the camps.
Even allied intelligence was barely aware of the details of the Holocaust until the camps were liberated by the allied armies.

Germans (and europeans under german occupation) saw nieghbors vanish.
The Jewish victims themselves were told only that they were being "relocated".
It didnt work the way you're imagining it.

You need to work on the flavor and feel of the setting.