What is yout theme song? The song that defines your life?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:56 am

I did a bit of research, after reading a book titled, "Your Childhood Memories, And How They Make You The Person You Are, Today."

I've asked myself, what it is, that makes me the person, that I am. I've had sort of awakening, and I've came to the realization, that 'You Really Got Me' by The Kinks is my theme song.

When I was 4, my older cousins were playing some songs, from their records. They play 'You Really Got Me', as nature starts to call, and I'm more interested in the song, than going to the bathroom.

When I was nine, I had a cast on my right leg. I remember going places with my parents, in their car. I was sick of the songs on the radio, not doing anything, for me. 'You Really Got Me' came on the radio, and I get this surge of excitement pumping through my body, that I've never felt before.

When I was 12, I was bragging to my family and their friends, about what a fake Beatles Fan I was, calling myself a Beatles Fan. Little did they know that, 'You Really Got Me', was the song that did it, for me and it was not a Beatles song. My sister was asking all kinds of questions, about that one.

At the age of 14, I was really excited about the movie, 'She's Out Of Control'. It wasn't the girl, or the story line that made me want to see it. 'You Really Got Me' was a part of the soundtrack. I got my aging, middle aged mum to listen to the song, after recording it, and I told her that it reminded me, of another life.

At the age of 19, I was drinking Schweppes's Dry Grape Ginger Ale, like it was going out of style. It wasn't the flavour, the colour or the fact that some family friends introduced it, to me. 'You Really Got Me' was used for the commercial. I'm going to confess that to my parents, around Christmas, when everybody is feeling peaceful.

It was the summer of 1996, and I was 21 years old. A 21 year old Mod and it was the summer of the year, where I've left off, before I became Depressed and Psychotic. I was getting really tired of working at the factory. The only time that I really felt happy, was when The Kinks were playing on my radio station. The song that did it for me the most, was 'You Really Got Me'.

Last year, my ex friend and I, were on the bus home from the local pool. I was on the very last straw of dark, punkish rebellion, against society, for a stupid reason about something that happened, here in very early 2007. 'You Really Got Me' was playing on the car radio. The bus driver was talking to her favourite hippie passenger, and she turned the radio, way down. I called them a couple of b*****s, as the passenger got off. It was our turn to alight, and I sarcastically thanked the bus driver for turning the radio down, when my favourite song was on the radio.

So here I am. Now for the song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3Ei_yoI4c[/youtube]

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2010, 10:29 am

fires by feeder.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 10:30 am

When I was young the movie T2 was a big hit and it featured one Guns and Roses song called "You Could be Mine". Back in that time every pre-teen I knew liked Guns and Roses and I had the "Use Your Illusion 1" tape. It reflected well the teen´s rebellious spirt. When I was a teen I used to listen to a heavy metal program on MTV. I remember that I had on VHS Megadeth's "Peace Sells". In the 90´s was a time of change in heavy metal. In the beginning of the decade Judas Pries released "Painkiller" and Iron Maiden "Fear of the Dark" and both were big hits. But it was a time for change. Bob Halford was fired from Judas (the other band members alleged his bad bevahiour, and not showing up in the rehearsals) and Bruce Dickinson left Iron Maiden togheter with guitarist Adrian Smith. But then came the differences Judas hired the awesome Tim "The Riper" Owens and Iron hired the weak Blaze Bayley. I remember that I bought Judas Priest´s cd called "Live Meltdown" which featured the new singer when I was with my family in New York. Oh, that was the best time in my life.

However, everyone blamed Bayley for Maiden´s decay and everyone I knew hated him. So it seemed that when we were 16 we experienced a period of frustration regarding one of our favourite bands. Secretly I liked the songs with Blaze Bayley and thought that he didn´t fit the band because of his lower vocal range and not because he was a bad singer but I kept that to myself. But that was not the end of the story! Bruce Dickinson set his own band with Adrian and started his solo career with guitarist Roy Z who would add latin elements to the music. Bruce recorded the experimental "Tattooed Millionaire", "Balls to Picasso", and "Skunkworks" all which sounded different from everything he had done before. I learned to play "Tears of the Drangon" on the guitar which was a big hit. Then he released the excellent "Accident of Birth", and "The Chemical Wedding" which returned to his metal roots. We loved the two last albums at school! I remember that I saw Bruce Dickinson live ("Chemical Wedding World Tour") with my brother and we loved it. And that night the show was also being recorded for a live album called "Scream For Me Brazil". I know that he recorded here because we scream louder than every other place! LOL!

And of course there was another band that we loved, Deep Purple. In the middle of the decade Deep Purple fired its legendary guitarist Ritchie Blackmore (due to his temper) and hired another good guitarist called Steve Morse. Togheter they released the good album "Perpendicular" and we all liked it at school! We liked the ballad "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming". Everyone said "ohh get real, Steve is way better than Ritchie!". But I disagreed and secretly I liked Richie Blackmore. Richie himself formed a band with his wife Candice Night, to play medieval music, the band is called Blackmore's Night. Every time I tell that fact to someone he says "Ohh boy, is that serious?". Deep Purple always returned to play in my town and I have lost count of how many times I went to their shows. I´ve also seen them with an orchestra.

What else did we hear back then? Megadeth had released its more pop oriented cd called "Cryptic Writings" and we all liked it. I heard many times "Trust" on the radio and it was a big hit. The more pop oriented songs allowed Megadeth to break through to the radio. The same happened with Metallica. We liked Megadeth because it reflected teen anger. LOL. I saw Megadeth live with Dream Theater in the Monsters of Rock Festival. Dream Theater was also popular here with its hit "Pull Me Under". And playing it in the stadium sounded great. I regreat that one of my friends called off in the last minute and I had to watch the show in the bleachers with my brother and cousin.

I remember that I heard every week a program on the radio dedicated to heavy metal called "Backstage". It aired from 10 PM to midnight on Sunday. I had to listen to it secretly because my mother could not know that I stayed awake all that time.

I went to other shows when I was young like the guitar virtuoso Yngwie Malmsteen (Oh boy), and Metallica, with the Sepultura oppening the show.

That is it. Thanks for the post CockneyRebel. (Hug)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 11:36 am

They won't go away.
I don't think I've seem 'em blink at all.
They all know my name and they're waiting for me to fall
on my face as I attempt to have my tiny little life.
They wait in the wings and I'm not sure why.

I used to be thin.
I used to look good with a guitar.
You're always alone when you don't know who you are.
If the slightest shove can shatter, crush and vaporize your bones,
How are you supposed to deal with stones?

I don't wanna go outside
'Cause I might have a terrible day and get sent home.

And I'm not gonna change.
I'm always gonna be here.
All day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIln3LU_6DM[/youtube]

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 12:04 pm

My theme song is called "Fireflies" by Owl City. It's a recent and fairly popular song, but I identify with it so much that I get goosebumps on my skin and tears in my eyes when I hear it.

The melody is very mellow and mildly cheerful, and it occasionally gets "charged up". I feel it matches my personality. On a literal level, the lyrics are very simple and deal with the singer's fascination with fireflies as well as his insomnia. But I like to interpret the song a little more symbolically: to me, my "fireflies" are the fictional characters who live in my imaginary world.

In the first verse, the singer says that fireflies "fill the open air". In my interpretation, I see my imaginary friends filling up my field of vision when I get lost in my imagination. The singer also mentions that the fireflies "leave teardrops everywhere". In my interpretation, fireflies leaving teardrops = imaginary friends leaving ideas for drawings and stories.

In the second verse, the singer talks about getting hugged by the fireflies and them trying to teach him how to dance. In my imagination, I get hugged a lot by my imaginary friends, and we dance together a lot because I normally like listening to dance/techno music.

In the first part of the third verse, the singer talks about insomnia, which I identify with on a regular level. In the second part of the third verse, the singer mentions having to say goodbye to his fireflies, and having bizarre dreams because he keeps a few in a jar. In my interpretation, I hate saying goodbye to my imaginary friends (they change every couple of years), but many ones from the past show up in my dreams because I still have memories of them stored in my brain like fireflies in a jar.

Part of the chorus goes "I'd like to make myself believe/That planet earth turns slowly". I like to pretend that time goes by slowly because I know that the years I'm having right now are the best ones I'll ever have.

Here is the song in case anyone wants to listen to it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO3gg2cVfxg[/youtube]

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 2:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjttg3wgCw&feature=related[/youtube]

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 3:04 pm

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRor905cCw[/YouTube]

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 3:11 pm

Thrashed and Scattered - Avenged Sevenfold

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 8:59 pm

"Sugar, We're Goin Down" by Fall Out Boy. I've never been too popular with boys, and usually when I get feelings for one I figure "Why even bother? He probably won't feel the same." That's one of the many interpretations that song has to offer; Pete Wentz said once at a concert that the song was about "the person you love that doesn't notice you."

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 9:11 pm

I don't want to say why...too depressing but this song stands out for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCnHWas3HQ[/youtube]

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 3:26 am

"people are strange" tied with "wasn't born to follow."

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 3:25 pm

Leaving out the usual suspects, here's one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btt-FGjUk_4[/youtube]

The year is still young.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 5:07 pm

Here's mine, then:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zueKq3z3Sk&feature=related[/youtube]

The video is courtesy of YouTube, the song is Hero, the lead vocalist is Chad Kroeger (of Nickelback), the movie is the original Spiderman.
(Just under 7 million hits on YouTube.)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Sep 2010, 4:08 am

Trapt~ Wasteland :arrow:

At 1st glace it sounds like it could be about a romantic relationship but I think it could be a bit deeper than that. It could be about not fitting in & being different witch I can defiantly relate to. It could also be about not living up to others expectations. I may be miserable doing my thing but I am more miserable trying to be what everyone else wants me to be. It may elude to some self-destructive tendencies to. Sounds like the story of my life :arrow:

You don't ever ask me why
You don't read the signs
You give me way to many reasons
For me to want to get high

Standing tall between my four walls
And I'm about to fall
So look into my eyes and I
Say it all

I am lost, I am lost
So crucify me on your cross
What's the cost, what's the cost
To erase what I've been taught?

Get off my back, don't attack
So what if I fell off the tracks
Your master plan, don't understand
I'd rather live in my own wasteland

I'm already gone, I'm already gone
My own wasteland
I don't belong, I don't belong
My own wasteland

Scream at me until I shut down
I don't hear a sound
Can only take so many cheap shots
Down on the ground

I gotta go my own way this time
Leave you behind
I've said it all but not enough for your
Simple mind

I am lost, I am lost

Your master plan, don't understand

My own wasteland
My own wasteland

You tell me what you want from me
But you never ask me what I need
Just let me go, just set me free
And turn these nightmares into dreams

I am lost, I am lost

Your master plan don't understand

And I won't waste another day
It doesn't matter what we say
You'll never change your wicked ways
I'd rather stay in my own wasteland

My own wasteland
My own wasteland

My own wasteland
My own wasteland

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJWTRDAbqs[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 11:25 am

"I am a Rock" by Simon and Garfunkle

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 3:04 pm

I think it's going to end up being:

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfuWXRZe9yA[/youtube]

There were a few other candidates... I Believe I Can Fly was a constant in my early childhood.