Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Aug 2010, 8:02 pm

I hate to bother cyber geniuses with my foolish problems - but here goes anyway. My mouse won't move properly. The mouse is new, the mouse pad is new. The problem is old. I cleaned the inside of the mouse - made no difference. The mouse skates and the arrow moves not at all. Or I move the mouse in a million circles and land one millimeter away from Click-place and it won't budge - until it zips to top of page on its own.

What to do? Please?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 8:51 pm

I don't know what kind of mouse you have, but I have a mac one with a little round omnidirectional ball and sometimes it stops working (just the track ball, not the mouse entirely). The solution is to turn it upside down and rub the ball in circles on a piece of paper. Works like a charm.

There could be lots of different causes of your problem. Check the following:

1. Physical connections (something might have come loose)
2. Have you installed any new software? If so, google that +mouse problems. There may be a conflict with the mouse drivers.
3. If you have another mouse, try that. Your mouse might be defective.
4. Make sure you've tried rebooting. Shut the computer down completely, rather than restarting it. Shut it down and leave it off for 30 seconds or so.

If the problem is old but the mouse and pad are new, does that mean you had this problem with another mouse before? If so, you may need to reinstall the drivers for it.

I can't think of any other solutions at the moment.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 9:57 am

I had a problem like that a few weeks ago, and it was cause by some video-related settings in my BIOS. If you are comfortable with going there, disable any video "shadow" or "cacheable" settings you might find.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2010, 9:34 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I hate to bother cyber geniuses with my foolish problems - but here goes anyway. My mouse won't move properly. The mouse is new, the mouse pad is new. The problem is old. I cleaned the inside of the mouse - made no difference. The mouse skates and the arrow moves not at all. Or I move the mouse in a million circles and land one millimeter away from Click-place and it won't budge - until it zips to top of page on its own.

What to do? Please?

Does that happen all the time? And does the keyboard response without issue when the mouse is stuck? Your system may just be hung up somewhere too busy to process the mouse event. Anyway, try another mouse that works in another machine, and if the problem is still there, then you need to look somewhere other than the mouse.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 2:18 am

CloudWalker wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

What to do? Please?

Does that happen all the time? And does the keyboard response without issue when the mouse is stuck? Your system may just be hung up somewhere too busy to process the mouse event. Anyway, try another mouse that works in another machine, and if the problem is still there, then you need to look somewhere other than the mouse.

and take the balky mouse to another machine. If it doesnt work, its the hardware. Bin it.

btw, this is exactly the sort of posts we dont mind seeing. You are not bothering us with foolish problems.