Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2006, 9:02 am

My daughter is in the third grade at a local elementary school. Yesterday I went to pick her up from school and I happened to look through the window. I saw that the teacher, a young woman who is doing her first year of training, appeared to being moving about the classroom in an angry jerky way. Later my daughter told me that the teacher had accused the class of stealing a box of straws that were meant for an art project. The teacher had told the class that someone in the class was a thief and for this the entire class would be punished. My daughter said that for the entire day the teacher looked at them with mean eyes and also told the class that for this crime they would not be allowed to go on a planned field trip to the beach. As well she wrote several notes home to certain parents to ..I assume..tell the parents that she suspected their children might be thieves. She also said that she would be searching their backpacks in future.

Well, this teacher is newly arrived from Hong Kong, and she is only young. Her last mistake, in my eyes, was to have the children read a story called "The Lazy Leprechaun" - which for anyone with an Irish heritage such as mine, was racist. I overlooked that one. But this..this punishment of a whole group for one unknown person's alleged wrongdoing and her behavior offends my sense of democracy and justice. I am quite furious and plan to call the school this morning to complain.

I would like to tell the principal an alternative way that such an event could be handled in the classroom. I would appreciate any tips or advice.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2006, 10:44 am

I would recommend discussing with the teacher and the principal at the same time, and perhaps even the counsellor if possible.

Treating the children in this fashion is inappropriate. I used to teach 4th grade. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the fact that the item is missing, and how now we can't do such and such a great fun project because of that - which usually brings the item right back again magically that night - but to start accusing people - and only certain parties? She needs to be stopped, now!

It sounds like this teacher doesn't understand her boundaries, things she can't discuss in class, and what she needs to resolve within herself.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2006, 11:23 am

Wow, that's great advice. Thank you. I will communicate that alternative to the principal when I speak to him later today.